PDA

View Full Version : transplanting/splitting ornamental grasses

knuckles
04-02-2005, 12:20 AM
When can I split ornamental grasses? I work on a golf course and we are about to remove about 25 large Miscanthus. Many are in excess of 36 inches in diameter and I would like to use these plants for use in some upcoming landscaping installs.

sheshovel
04-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Sure you can ,just use a very sharp blade on your shovel and a machete.Tie up the blades of the grass so you can see what your doing .Dig out soil around one part of the grass,then cut the section out with your shovel and put it in wet burlap or sheet or tarp and transplant asap.Keep as much soil around roots as possible and keep wet tell planted.OH and you need to recover the plants roots that you took the section from with soil before you go.

gqnine44
04-02-2005, 08:12 PM
When I have done it I dug up the entire plant and rootball then sat it on its side and split it that way. I had no luck splitting from the top down. Maybe it is easier to do in California.

gqnine44
04-02-2005, 08:13 PM
...and I would say now is the best time to split them unless you want to wait until late fall.

sheshovel
04-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Harharhar your funny gqnine44,I don't cut from the top I cut from one side into middle and across.

cgland
04-03-2005, 02:05 PM
i cut fron the top! I cut the grasses down to about 8" or so, dig the whole thing out, place it on a tarp or something (so as not to loose too much soil), then take my edging shovel and split in to 4 pieces kinda like a pie. You don't have to be gentle with orn grass. Grab a shovel and hack away! this is the easiest way IMO.

Chris

Chris

sheshovel
04-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Yea that's what I said in the 1st place!!almost

knuckles
04-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a try this week.

sildoc
04-10-2005, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=cgland] You don't have to be gentle with orn grass. Grab a shovel and hack away! this is the easiest way IMO.

Chris

Geter Done. Yes You may have a little browning and death on the edges cut but as for the plant itself are very durable. You can dang near cut a 6" orn grass in to 6 diferant pieces and have all of the look good within a week or 2. figure a 24" pampas grass into 10 different pieces. As long as they have roots you shouldn't have a problem.