PDA

View Full Version : Here's mine....well Cat's Financial's for a few years.....

Green Pastures
04-02-2005, 09:45 AM
http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=37313

http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=37314

2005 Cat 257B I bought it used with only 130 hours on it. Enclosed cab, heat A/C, auto level bucket, hydro coupler, AM/FM, turbo diesel, suspension seat...... New M7 Harley rake and new Towmaster 18' 14,950K GVWR trailer.

It's killer!

Yeah, and that's my front lawn too! All I do is mow and edge it....... ;)

CamLand
04-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Nice set up Scott...

Tigerotor77W
04-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Mmmm... yummy!

Grass Cake
04-02-2005, 11:38 AM
gotta love the look of a cat skid steer

Hands down ...THE sexiest designed

I'll go out a pout beside my homely Case now........ :mad:

lawnandplow42
04-02-2005, 11:42 AM
WOW, excellent man!
That machine looks great.
Do you do a lot of lawn installs?

You should put this in the picture forum.

Green Pastures
04-03-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm starting to do alot more new installs than I used to. Lot's of renovations as well. There will always be alot of renovations in this area. People here like fescue, but absolutely have no idea how to care for fescue.

There is a turn in this area where builders are starting to include landscaping, and sprinkler systems with their new homes, I want a big peice of that action. In the not to distant past, builders were selling new $500K and up homes with NO yard features whatsoever. I'd rather make a tiny bit less money and deal with one boss, the builder and just run through every home he builds than deal with 100 different bosses and be running all over town.

You start in one subdivision and go from door to door to door installing sprinkler system, lawn, beds and trees and you have maybe 100 houses to do. You never leave an area that's a couple of square miles. Can finish at least one house a day, several thousand in profit from each house.

Lord willing, that's my plan.

http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=37324

http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=37325

http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=37326

http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=37328

mmmmmmmm A/C mmmmmmmmmm

http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=37331

Turbo Diesel baby!

http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=37334

Let's not forget the cupholder! :cool2:

TerraFirma Excavating
04-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Nice machine. I wouldn't own a machine without A/C. The cup holder only comes with the A/C package, is it in a location that is functional? I hate the way my water bottle rolls around the cab right now.

Tigerotor77W
04-03-2005, 05:42 PM
On Cat models, the cupholder is right below and a little rearward of the right joystick.

p7m8
04-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Why can't I get the pics to work? It wants me to download them, save them to a file and execute them.

Green Pastures
04-03-2005, 07:53 PM
The cupholder is not functional as far as I'm concerned because my normal coffee cup is larger than that cupholder will hold.

Guess I need a new coffee cup just for the Cat.

Scag48
04-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Very nice! Have you used your Harley yet? I've been using ours the last 3 days on 3 different jobs, wouldn't be without one for sure. I've got a question for ya, what is that little module looking deal right behind the seat in your picture? Do you have a stereo in that beast? Very nice machine, good luck with that beauty, it is the sexiest track loader made!

Green Pastures
04-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Scag48 it's a AM/FM stereo module.

It's something the original owner had installed. Works very well. I don't like the headphones, they sound good but are not really comfortable. They have vinyl covered padding, make me sweat more. They do that so if you have multiple users you can whie them down with disinfectant......I'm getting some cloth covered phones or earbud type.

Haven't used the Harley rake, yet..........

dccarling
04-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Scott,
What a beautiful machine, that's an awesome set-up for lawn installation & renovations. I have been reading posts on this forum for a while trying to learn something about skid-steers & MTLs, never owned one. I've had tractors for many years and thought about a skid-steer in the past when upgrading my tractor but didn't because of all those 3PH attachments. I recently sold my tractor and a few attachments and my next purchase will be a MTL sometime this month. What do you and others think of the ASV machines. Thanks and good luck with that beautiful machine,
Doug

Green Pastures
04-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Thanks dccarling!

I think ASV machines are not the way to go, unless you just can't possibly afford a Cat. They are making a great undercarriage, but there wasn't anything else about them that I liked. I demo'd Cat, Bobcat, ASV and New Holland and the Cat was way ahead of the other three.

I got a fantastic deal on my Cat. It is used, 130 hours on the meter when I took delivery, and it was $15K less than a new one with all the same options.
Be patient, look around.....Drive them all on a jobsite.

Don't drive a Cat though unless you want to end up with one.

I don't want to argue or bad mouth other brands, demo them all, the choice will be clear to you.

wanabe
04-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Can you please tell me how much the cat cost? PM me if you want to. That is a sharp looking setup, just what I need on my new trailer. What is the going rate in your area? Thanks

Green Pastures
04-07-2005, 12:44 AM
I paid $48K for the Cat 257B, the M7 Harley Rake and the Towmaster 18' trailer with 6' ramps.

The 257B was used (130 hours) and I got it for $35K.

Keep an eye out on www.catused.com, that's where I found it for sale.

I saw this one the night before I was going to go spend $48K on a new 257B alone.

wanabe
04-07-2005, 12:07 PM
That wa a good deal on the cat. Everything everything arround here that us in the 35xxx range is trashed with a ton of hours.

Green Pastures
04-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I'm really blessed.

I can probably use this equipment for at least a year and still sell it all for what I have in it.

Lawnworks
04-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Just wondering how you guys justified your purchase... I am going through whether I should justify it or not. How much $$ per month do you feel is necessary to purchase?

Green Pastures
04-09-2005, 09:41 PM
My total purchase was almost $50K and I put a little over $10K down. The payments are barely under $800 a month for 5 years.

You can make $800 in clear profit from one job.

Lawnworks
04-10-2005, 12:14 AM
Well I would not be worried about making the payments. In my situation(on cheaper equipment), payments would be less than 500 a month, but I could probably get away w/ renting a machine.

vntgrcr
04-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Just wondering how you guys justified your purchase... I am going through whether I should justify it or not. How much $$ per month do you feel is necessary to purchase?
Lawnworks
I have a 2003 257 that I just bought with a brand new combo bucket, and although I didn't get as good a deal as GP, I paid 34K for both peices, put down 10K and made a deal with CAT Financials that I would make a $2500 balloon payment every August, summer being my busiest time and with all of that it kept my payment down to $475/month. I felt that I should not have a problem putting that machine to work at $80/hr to make that payment for 4yrs. It is all in what you are comfortable with and know what your past work/income has been. CAT financial was great and I have to admit I was surprised at how willing to work with my conditions they were.

AL Inc
04-10-2005, 10:33 AM
For me, it got to the point where I needed a machine at least once a week. We were still doing jobs by hand that could easily have been done with a machine. The reality was that my monthly payment is equal to 2 days rental. So really it was a no brainer. I'm happy I went for it, and have found many uses for it to save time and labor $$.
I went with the Cat 246, cab/heat, bucket, forks, tooth bar, and steel tracks, came to about $33K. I couldn't be happier with it.

Lawnworks
04-10-2005, 12:04 PM
How do yall feel about attachments? Spend the money and then learn to use them, or rent them?

Green Pastures
04-11-2005, 02:04 AM
I have the Harley rake.

I'd like the 4 way bucket instead of what the machine came with. I'll be buying that.

The only other attatchments I see needing soon are an auger with bits. I can rent those but cheaper in the long run to buy.

I'd like to have a tiller, none for rent that I'm aware of.

Pallet forks, I'll buy them too.....

catjd
04-14-2005, 07:12 PM
I don't frequent the site too much, never been to this particular forum before. Just wanted to say that I am glad you guys like the Cat machines so much. I work at the Cat plant in N.C. that makes the skid steers and MTLs, been there 5 years now.

Green Pastures
04-14-2005, 09:10 PM
catjd, I'd love to come down for a plant tour. Is something like that possible?

Welcome to Lawnsite! :waving:

catjd
04-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah, we have tours all the time. Where are you located at? Most of the times the tours are dealers, sometimes customers. Maybe get in touch with your local dealer and see if they can help.

Tigerotor77W
04-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Welcome to the forums, then, catjd!

(The JD doesn't stand for John Deere, does it? :) just kidding; no worries.)

Green Pastures
04-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Yeah! That's KEWL! I want to see them making the Cat MTL's.

This machine is a beast, I'm VERY pleased with the purchase.

UNISCAPER
04-16-2005, 10:09 PM
You will love that machine. We have one 257B and just got another one, both with six way blades, buckets, forks, etc. We can drive up a 2-1 slope and turn 360° if we have to. Primarily we run them in side sloping operations to cut terraces so people can use their ridiculously over priced land out here.

vntgrcr
04-17-2005, 06:22 AM
I don't frequent the site too much, never been to this particular forum before. Just wanted to say that I am glad you guys like the Cat machines so much. I work at the Cat plant in N.C. that makes the skid steers and MTLs, been there 5 years now.
Welcome Catjd,
You may regret letting "us" know what you do for a living! I just bought a 2003 257 that has every option except the self leveling bucket option. Very strange that it doesn't have it. I tried finding out from my salesman who by the way is useless, but is it just a matter of plugging in the switch on the upper left control panel to get this feature? I know in a lot of cars that the wiring is usually all there for different options waiting to be used. Thanks for any help.
David

UNISCAPER
04-17-2005, 12:28 PM
You might be right there. In 2003, self leveling was an option, in 04 it was standard, as is the verticle vs radial lift option. Hit a switch and it will lift either way.

StoneStacker
04-17-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that the deutz connector is already there behind the "blank-out" plate. all you'll need to buy is the switch.

bigz1001
04-17-2005, 09:20 PM
We can drive up a 2-1 slope and turn 360° if we have to. Primarily we run them in side sloping operations to cut terraces so people can use their ridiculously over priced land out here.

I am going to call BS on the 2-1 and 360. Perhaps it is not a true 2-1? A bulldozer cannot easily or safely turn or traverse a 2-1 slope, just doesn't work. And a d-11 typically cannot be used in production for a 2-1 slope because the transmission will overheat.

StoneStacker
04-18-2005, 10:16 PM
I could buy the "driving up the 2-1", but it would be extremely tough to counter rotate 360 degrees on that kind of slope.

UNISCAPER
04-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Anytime you would care to come watch I would be glad to show you. We do it every week, and as long as you keep the blade in the dirt, the machine stays planted. Rubber tracked loaders will work on slopes the bigger counterparts wont.

syzer
04-26-2005, 08:30 PM
I have heard after about 2000 hours these things need about 10k in preventive maintenance done to the undercarriage. This sound just ridiculous to me, but my friend with a 257 tells me this is what it is. Is he crazy?

BTW, I would kill for your setup! =).

Green Pastures
04-27-2005, 01:03 AM
I have heard after about 2000 hours these things need about 10k in preventive maintenance done to the undercarriage. This sound just ridiculous to me, but my friend with a 257 tells me this is what it is. Is he crazy?

BTW, I would kill for your setup! =).

Your friend is crazy. :)

First of all, the undercarrige is under Caterpillar warranty for 2000 hours. I have that in writing.

If you take care of the tracks and keep them clear of debris as much as possible, you can get as many as 4000 hours on a set. It's going to be $4000 to replace just the tracks on both sides, more if you need idler rollers......

UNISCAPER
04-27-2005, 01:21 AM
You can completely redo tracks, rollers, boogies and sprockets for 5K. And, like with many other machines, there are things you really don't want to do because it will destroy your track system. As the rubber tracked loader market widens, there are more and more aftermarket track manufacturers out with lower priced tracks. There is even one company attempting to retread the tracks, which should be interesting if it works, that should save alot of money.

I don't know anything about a 2000 hour warrantee, as far as I know, ours both have 1500 hours or 2 years on them, and, there are specific things that if they happen, will not be covered under warrantee.

What I stress to all MTL operators is to drop the $250.00 a person and get your operators to training. They cover everything from what to and what not to do, to maintenance, grease, tension, you name it. In 3 years, Cat is going to release a new tracking system which is simir to the ASV undercarraige. It will have high density polymer rollers and a little different boogie system. I don't know weather they will call this a C series machine, rather just might make the changes and go forward. I was bummed to find out that they won't ever make a steel track system for the 2 series machines. Steel tracks on DG like we were on the past week would be great...

BMFD92
04-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Nice machine. I always rent the Cat 226 from a local cat dealer. I to am going more towards landscaping. Not enough for a skid steer. I want one so bad though.

dccarling
05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Scott,

How is that harley rake working out for you? Have you been using it alot? Do you have an electrical connection that goes to your cat's system so you can use the switches built into the machine's controls or do you use the universal magnet switch to control the angle? I just bought a harley MX8 & a machine, only have the universal switch so far. I'll post photos after the backhoe attachment gets here.

Thanks, Doug

Green Pastures
05-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Scott,

How is that harley rake working out for you? Have you been using it alot? Do you have an electrical connection that goes to your cat's system so you can use the switches built into the machine's controls or do you use the universal magnet switch to control the angle? I just bought a harley MX8 & a machine, only have the universal switch so far. I'll post photos after the backhoe attachment gets here.

Thanks, Doug

I like the Harley rake alot. I've only used it once since I bought it. Been using the machine to move dirt mostly since I bought it. It uses an electrical connection to the Cat for the Rake angle control.

Can't wait till I get some lawn install jobe and can use the Harley rake more. It's a beast.

dccarling
05-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks Scott,

I called glenmac inc. the other day and they are sending me the electrical connection to hook up to the machine. They told me it is the same connection as the CAT even though I have the ASV RC-100. This is my first Harley rake, looks really rugged, looking forward to using it alot, the first lawn install for it will be this weekend. My last power rake was a landpride with the bars that went on a 3PH/tractor, it was great for new construction but alot of my jobs are renovations so the nubs should be alot better. I used to have to bring a tiller and then use the power rake, it sure will be nice to do it all with the MX8.

Doug

landcare pa
05-18-2005, 10:28 PM
we just got are new 257 with ac what a machine we paid $41,000 with forks 2 buckets and a six way blade, and zero intrest for 4 years

Scag48
05-19-2005, 06:30 PM
The Harley was the first attachment we bought for our 216 and it's the most versatile. I can grade new lawns, lots, and even roads, it's a very diverse piece that sets us apart from our competition.

vntgrcr
05-19-2005, 08:23 PM
we just got are new 257 with ac what a machine we paid $41,000 with forks 2 buckets and a six way blade, and zero intrest for 4 years
Landcare,
Can you let us know how the blade works for you. I also have a 257 and am considering a blade for it, but want to know how well it works first. These machines are awesome arent' they? I was grading/spreading fill on a job last week going UP a 30+ degree angle with no problem. You did well on that price with all of those attachments.
Thanks
David

dccarling
05-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Landcare,
That's a really good deal on a super nice machine and 0%, Sweet.
Doug

UNISCAPER
05-19-2005, 11:21 PM
We have a 6 way for our 257's. Greatest thing since sliced bread. We side slope 2-1's and as long as you keep the blade in the dirt it will cut a pad and eventually get you onto flat ground. For leveling gravel for paver drives you can't beat it, and for cutting swales it is far better then trying to stick a bucket into the dirt.

landcare pa
05-22-2005, 09:01 PM
6 wayblade is great the best $4600 i spent what a great machine,we now have skidloaders 4 john deere and now 1 cat,the cat is the most user friendly.

NateV
05-23-2005, 05:48 PM
My dad is looking for a trailer like that. Would you mind me asking how much the trailer cost. Thanks

wanabe
05-23-2005, 07:58 PM
I just bought a new 18 foot, 83" wide, 2 5200 lb dexter axles with brakes on both, full diamond plate floor, full LED light package, heavy duty fenders, 7000 drop leg, rear dropleg stabilizers, 2 5/16" coupler, spare tire 10400 GVWR, and prem. silver metalic paint. Cost me $3350 plus title, and tax.

Green Pastures
05-23-2005, 11:22 PM
If you're inquiring about the trailer in my pics, it was $5500 + tax and title.

dccarling
05-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Kaufman sells trailers factory direct at reasonable prices. First time to try to attach a photo, 28' gooseneck 24' flat 4' beaver-tail 102" wide 25,900 GVWR.

Green Pastures
05-25-2005, 12:32 AM
What do you carry on that trailer dccarling?

Dirty Water
05-25-2005, 12:57 AM
What do you carry on that trailer dccarling?

I'm going to guess a trailer that size is intended for a backhoe, or a larger mini excavator (like the cat 314's).

I love goosenecks.

Green Pastures
05-25-2005, 01:24 AM
That's exactly why I asked.

I'm looking into getting a Cat 314 with a thumb.

First I have to get 2 new trucks though.

I need a 4x4 F-350 Diesel to replace my F-250 and a F-750 dump body.

dccarling
05-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Scott,

I use the trailer to haul my ASV RC-100 and attachments, 4 in 1 bucket, set of forks, harley MX8 power rake & a bradco 611 backhoe. Someday I would love to get a brush cutter.

Thanks, Doug

Green Pastures
05-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Doug!

You've got some great equipment. How do you like the ASV 100? I'll bet it's a beast.

How about the backhoe attatchment? I'm looking at a Cat 312, I sure could save some $$ with that. Don't think my 257B is big enough though.

dccarling
05-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Scott,

Thanks, I like the ASV alot and it really is a beast. I love the cat machines and almost bought a 257B, went with the RC-100 because of the speed and power along with the high flow hydraulics, and the price was right too. Only have about 20 hours on the machine so I'm just learning, never had a skid steer or similar type machine before, always had tractors. The bradco 611 has super power but I have only tested it on that stump so far. The ASV backhoe had alot less power than the bradco and with all the rocks in New England I need the power and durability.

Doug

Green Pastures
05-25-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't have many hours on my Cat either.....yet.

It's been wet since I bought it and I'm still developing relationships with builders and homeowners in order to get contracts for it.

It's coming.......

Have you thought about getting an auger for planting shrubs and trees?

dccarling
05-25-2005, 09:08 PM
I would like to have an auger but it will have to wait for now. I'm in debt with the new equipment. It's a little scary spending so much on a machine and attachments, but I know it will work out in the long run. If you buy good equipment and take good care of it you won't have anything to worry about. You make some money using it, get to write off the depreciation and it is still worth most of what you paid for it.

Green Pastures
05-26-2005, 12:42 AM
That's what I'm counting on.

Scag48
05-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Scott, you're going to need a much larger truck for a 312/314 than an F-750, 312's are about 28,000 lbs. How serious are you about buying one? Within 6 months? Before long, you're gonna have a fleet! I myself would like to get a 312 after college and all that and go into excavation full time, great machines those 312's...

Green Pastures
05-27-2005, 09:49 AM
I need the 750 dump right now to pull the Cat 257B around with and have a place to dump the trash I'm taking off yards. It would also be nice to be able to get and deliver mulch/top soil and compost myself, it's cheaper that way.

Not real sure about when I'll get a 312. Don't really "need" it.

wanabe
05-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Green Pastures, how is your new skidloader business going? Did you end up with more/less customers than you expected? Get any big jobs yet? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to start my own just like you did, but I am not sure what to expect. Thanks

Green Pastures
05-29-2005, 04:50 PM
The jobs are coming slowly but surely. I bought the Cat because I knew I could make the payments without even working it. Thank the good Lord!

I've just been commisioned to do a clean up, seed and straw and plant some shrubs for a builder that has just finished building a home on a lot near my home.

This is what I bought the machine for. Working for builders who want basic landscaping done and homeowners who've just bought newly built homes from custom builders.

New homes freshly built need all the builder trash removed, an irrigation system put in and landscaping designed and installed.

This will be the third time I've used the machine for profit since purchasing it. After this job is done I will have made more money with it than I've put out in payments.

I have absolutely no regrets, more work than I'll know what to do with is coming, it's just having the equipment to do the work when the builders call. Now I NEED a dump truck. Having to rent the dump truck sux.

The truck I want is $67K! A Ford F-750 Crew cab with a 10 yard Poly dump body on the back.

Like the movie says "if you build it they will come" once you get the equipment and put it out on the street that you have it and want to work it, you'll get the calls.

I've been putting my business card in every half built home within 50 miles of here for 2 months now. The calls are finally starting to come in.

I'd have more work if I had the dump truck to go with the Cat.

wanabe
05-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Thnaks for the update! I was also wondering if I would need a dump truck, looks like I would. Have you ever thought about getting a pull type dump trailer to hook to your pickup? I seen somebody the other day who was using one to haul his skidloader to the job, and using the trailer to haul the crap off.

Green Pastures
05-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Thnaks for the update! I was also wondering if I would need a dump truck, looks like I would. Have you ever thought about getting a pull type dump trailer to hook to your pickup? I seen somebody the other day who was using one to haul his skidloader to the job, and using the trailer to haul the crap off.

Yes, but since I already have a trailer for the Cat, that option is not the best. I need a big dump truck anyway. I think every landscaping company eventually needs a bigger dump truck. Having the ability to move larger quantities of materials to and from jobsites is what can set you apart.

I can say this for sure, I would have had several more jobs and several larger jobs already under my belt if I owned my own dump truck. Having to schedule the rental hurt my ability to land the job(s).

Dodgemania
06-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Green pasture wondering how the 257B is hanging in there. Have you used the harley lately. I bought a 236B about 8 months ago and it's got about 400 hrs on it. Really like it but I wanted the track machine but figured I didn't want to shell out the bucks for the replacement tracks when it was time. Just interested in how things were going for you. I noticed you were talking about an F-750. Think I might be going down that road this winter. Wondered if you heard of any good deals out there on those trucks. I made the mistake to buy a new 3500 to pull the skidsteer, but turn around and give a boat load of money to a guy hauling in my dirt and hauling out the trash. Expense past on to the customer of course, but it still makes you sick when you could be making that money. Just interested in your thoughts.

Green Pastures
06-13-2005, 11:17 PM
I wish I had bought the F-750 at the same time I bought the Cat.

You can sure spend alot of money on renting dump trucks that would otherwise be paying the loan on the truck.

NateV
06-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Well lets see the truck.

Green Pastures
06-15-2005, 12:19 AM
[Foghorn Leghorn] Pay attention, I said pay attention boy, I aint said nothing bout buying no truck yet. [/Foghorn Leghorn]

I've been renting a dump truck as I need it. I just spent over $10K in cash for the down payment on the Cat, I don't have another $10K down payment or monthly payments to buy a dump truck right now.

It's going to be a while...... :blush: