PDA

View Full Version : Lets do somthing about gas prices

caz1
04-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi ladies and gents

Its time to start doing something about gas prices. Gas prices in my opinion are getting out of hand and us Americans are just taking it and I think its time to take a stand and show the gas companies that we are not going to take it any longer. I don't know about you guys but I sick of paying 2.34 a gallon. Ok this is what I propose let fill up the on vehicles on Thursday April 14th. Then on weekend of April 16th and 17th stay home with the family or use the weekend to get stuff done around the house that you have been putting of I sure we all have a honey do list. If you get bored take a walk with the family to a park or something, or just find something to do that does not en-vole gas. But if you think about it when was the last time you just stayed at home for a weekend and just spent time with the family maybe have a big Sunday diner. But anyway in doing this we will be forcing the gas companies to pretty much shut down the refineries because there will not be any gas be shipped to the stations there for there holding tanks will get to full causing them to shut down. I was taking to acouple of people and they said that if no one bought gas for one day the stations would not gas there for no gas would needed to be shipped causing the holding tanks to become over full witch would then lead to shutting down the refineres. I truly believe that this will bring down the price of gas and show the refiners that we no long take the high gas prices. Its time to do more then just talk about it its time to do something about it Remember April 16 and 17th stay home Who on bored if you are e-mail tell family and friends lets get this going thanks long winded but I think we can do something about this

lawnandplow42
04-02-2005, 11:31 AM
I think your idea is an excellent one.

However, I don't think it would be possible for many of us.
Gas companies have us by the balls, they know we have to buy fuel, and they are right. We can't stop buying fuel because we need it for work, and many of us can't stay home, because there is work to be done.

Although you have the right idea, i don't see it working.

caz1
04-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I think your idea is an excellent one.

However, I don't think it would be possible for many of us.
Gas companies have us by the balls, they know we have to buy fuel, and they are right. We can't stop buying fuel because we need it for work, and many of us can't stay home, because there is work to be done.

Although you have the right idea, i don't see it working.

I do agree with you on this I though about it before i made the post, however what about all the people we know that can stay home for the weekend and don't have to work maybe this will tell the gas companies that if the prices stay high us Americans will stay home more or cheaper ways of transportation and no disrespect but the gas companys have of us buy the balls idiea i what will not make this thing work

lawnandplow42
04-02-2005, 11:44 AM
i guess so,

i'll give it try

grass_cuttin_fool
04-02-2005, 11:53 AM
2 Problems there.
1 the refineries are maxed out according to reports so they would get a few days to catch up.
2. There would be plenty of room in the tanks at stations if everyone mobbed the stations and filled up everything on thursday.
Just face it, I dont like gas over 2 bux a gallon but we are still cheaper then some countries and if we expect to do world trade then we are going to have to pay world prices

lawnman_scott
04-02-2005, 11:54 AM
when you read about a company in trouble doesnt it usually say they lost money the 3rd quarter, not they did bad one weekend? How would it effect us if no one wanted their grass cut may 7 and 8th? We would be busy on the 9th.

bugspit
04-02-2005, 12:01 PM
supply and demand :sleeping: , just buy the cheapest gas you can find.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

hosejockey2002
04-02-2005, 12:02 PM
The only way to force oil companies to drop prices is to reduce demand, period. Doing it for a day or weekend won't help, it has to be a sustained effort. Remember the 55 mph speed limit and the crappy little cars that started to come out in the 70s? They sucked, but they worked. Now, we all need trucks to do our work, but Mama does not need a big block Suburban to haul a kid or two to school and pick up groceries. It's nice to have big cars and trucks with lots of power, but we have to pay at the pump.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-02-2005, 12:19 PM
The only way to force oil companies to drop prices is to reduce demand, period. Doing it for a day or weekend won't help, it has to be a sustained effort. Remember the 55 mph speed limit and the crappy little cars that started to come out in the 70s? They sucked, but they worked. Now, we all need trucks to do our work, but Mama does not need a big block Suburban to haul a kid or two to school and pick up groceries. It's nice to have big cars and trucks with lots of power, but we have to pay at the pump.
he is right that is why we r in the shape we r in i remember all the little cars in the late 70 and early 80 years they were tiny but great on fuel
i watch the moms drop all the kids off at school and 9 out of 10 drive a big suv hell some r even diesel why and the hell do they need that crap what happened to the family truckster like chevy chase drove the station wagon that would seat 7 with seatbelts and 15 kids on a Friday night
i am all for free choice in what u do but we r all gonna have to give up something either r cash for fuel or the big suv for an old pacer lol

Updog
04-02-2005, 12:25 PM
I totally agree it makes me sick to see all these people driving huge vehicles for no reason. They affect us all. We would do well to stay closer to home and spend our money building our local economies.

caz1
04-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Ok i see your guys thinking here Grass cuttin fool said the refinaries are maxed out but may be if we do this the companys can catch up causeing the price to come down after all isn't that the reason it son high as far as the veichels go you guys are rite to it seems like the bigger the better to the americian people I remember my little ford festiva love the car 45 mpg could park just about anyware sure it wasn;t cool but it was actullay kind of fun to drive I really think this will work what would it hurt to give it a try :waving:

jtkplc
04-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey, we're lucky, we could be paying $6 a gallon like they do in Europe.

bugspit
04-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Fuel is still not as high as it was in 1981.
And don't blame the soccer moms or anyone else for wanting to drive SUV's, again supply and demand, you want to play you gotta pay.

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/index.asp

http://api-ec.api.org/about/index.cfm?bitmask=001002001000000000#

And don't forget about your local :angry: taxes :angry: on fuel, now there's something you can make a difference with...see you at the polls. :waving:

Richard Martin
04-02-2005, 12:42 PM
The last thing you want to do is stop buying gas. And the longer you don't buy it the higher the prices will go. Picture this:

You are a big gas company that is used to making 100 dollars a year on 100 gallons of gas. Since you are incorporated you must answer to shareholders. Suddenly the public starts only buying the absolute minimum amount of fuel that they must have to live. It cuts your sales by 66 percent. The shareholders see their dividends drop by 66 percent and demand that you do something. What is your only choice if the public won't buy more gas? Raise the profit per gallon. Also remember that the Federal and state governments get a unfair portion of that money that you are charged at the pumps. If they see their revenues going down they will raise the tax to compensate.

Also if we start using less gas they (the crude suppliers) will just start sending it to Asia where the demand is ever increasing. That would force a glut there lowering the Asian prices and force a shortage here increasing prices. We, as consumers, are literally powerless to do anything about the price of fuel.

Get used to it, get over it.

caz1
04-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Hey, we're lucky, we could be paying $6 a gallon like they do in Europe.

No disrespect here but if we keep letting this prices go up we may be there in two to three years i know there saying 3.00 to 3.50 buy summer if this happens people are going have to cut back what do think will be cut first hmmm lets see my gas bill is 300.00 dollars a month i can recover that by doing my own lawn and not paying the lawn care company I NOT TRYING TO START A FIGHT BUT JUST TRYING TO GET MY POINT ACROSS

riches139
04-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Something I don't understand.

When gas prices go up, the economy suffers, and the stock market drops.
When the market drops so does the value of the oil companies stock.

So, they make increased proffits on the increased price of fuel, but they loose money on the value of their company.

Am i making any sense? :dizzy:

caz1
04-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Fuel is still not as high as it was in 1981.
And don't blame the soccer moms or anyone else for wanting to drive SUV's, again supply and demand, you want to play you gotta pay.

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/index.asp

http://api-ec.api.org/about/index.cfm?bitmask=001002001000000000#

Ok i can remember in 1981 as a little kid people complian about the price of gas and that we needed better miliage cars and that happened and the price came down didn't it

out4now
04-02-2005, 12:53 PM
supply and demand :sleeping: , just buy the cheapest gas you can find.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Bingo! This basic economic theory is what drives the world. The only way we stand a chance of getting prices down is to build more refineries and start driving more sensible vehicles. Not necessarilly talking hydrogen, just more common sense. I see yupies driving Caddy Escalades and whinning at the pump. News flash, you don't need a gas guzzler! If only the people who actually need a truck were buying them, it would reduce demand and relieve refinery pressures.

bugspit
04-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Ok i can remember in 1981 as a little kid people complian about the price of gas and that we needed better miliage cars and that happened and the price came down didn't it

True, after the crude oil price spike in the 1979-1981 period, the nation responded by boosting average automobile mileage to over 20 gallons per mile. This was an important conservation measure, but it has been counteracted by the fact that there are now twice as many cars on the road.
Also, what do the people want? Look at all the performance cars that are now available but not then. What did the people buy when prices went down, SUV's and larger sedans, faster cars?

Maybe we are looking forward to another gas crunch?
Maybe hybirds will become more popular and in 20 years Dodge's new HEMI will get 30mpg?
Until then, we are cramped in a compact.

PMLAWN
04-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Think! Stop moving about for one weekend and------Food stores throw away all the fresh food. All the malls will have no one buying anything and a lot of stores will not survive. All transportation will stop as no one will get to the airport or train station. All resort places will lose big dollars.
OK so we shut down our economy for two days. and that try to restart it on Monday.
The cool thing would be that Bin Laden will provably send you a personal thank you note as you will have done what he has been trying for years.

We already pay the least money for gas than any other country. and by comparison we pay less today than in the 70's.

Work at a tighter route or a smaller truck or charging what is needed to stay in business next weekend but don't work at killing our economy

Gene $immons
04-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Pass the increase in fuel costs along to your customers.

caz1
04-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok maybe this won't work i just thought i would give it a try oh well good thing i just got promoted at work and i'll be getting a company truck to take home everynight as far as my lawn care biz goes i'm charging for the gas increase with taking the company truck home that save me about 150 dollars a month :drinkup:

mrusk
04-02-2005, 01:48 PM
The only way to lower gas prices is to build more refineries, PERIOD. NO other way. If everyone traded in their surburbans for cars getting 25-30mph, people would just drive more. Oil is used for so much more then powering our cars and lawn mowers. Gasoline doesn't even make up that large of a percentage of all oil use. Europe pays 6 bucks a gallon for gas because they goverments tax them 4 bucks a gallon.

Gas prices should be 1.30-140. However, if your going broke because gas is at 2.00 you better take a good look at your budget.

Matt

Trevors Lawn Care
04-02-2005, 01:59 PM
What was proposed is trying to make an Inelastic good (gasoline) elastic. It simply can not be done. The oil companies could surge the prices to $10 bucks a gallon and you would pay it. An inelastic good means that the demand will stay relatively unchanged in comparison to the price of the good.

Finally Congress signed the ANWR Drilling Bill. I knew they built that Alaskan Pipeline for something. Hopefully in the next couple of years, Alaska will be producing a majority of this countries oil, which will result in us becoming less dependant on the Middle Easter countries.

As stated in earlier posts, tighten routes and charge accordingly and you will be fine. If paying $2.50 for gas is enough to make that big of a difference in your bottom line, you arnt charging enough.

Trevor

spoolinaround
04-02-2005, 02:38 PM
the last time I bought gas was back in Jan, 1500 gallons @ $1.34/gallon I figure it will run out about mid summer, B B B BUT if I find gas below 2 bucks a gallon I will probably top it off before that

Littleriver1
04-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Give it up! Your not going to do anything about the gas prices, except keep on paying it. Get over it, this is the way it's going to be. Learn to live with it. I remember in the 70's when the price went over 50 cents. We all thought we were going to die. You could actually save 5 cents a gal. if you pumped it your self. You should be more worried about the price you will be paying for food for your kids. Thats the next thing that will be going up in price. After that the price of guns and amo will be so high you wouldn't be able to afford to kill your self. Soon there will be no wild life and people will be eating their pets and then their children and then you. This is why the goverment has all the fast food Co's serving you all that fat. They know what will happen and are trying to fatten you up for the kill. Run for life before it's too late.

caz1
04-02-2005, 03:10 PM
ok can some one tell me when i said that the gas price was going to make me go broke Itell you who it will make go broke though the truckers and you can't tell me differnt because my maine job is involed in the trucking indus and i here from them all the time if fuel prices don't go done they will have shut down they have no say in what they get paid the rates have not changed in years so there for they needed a price increase however the stores tell them how much there going to get paid so if there is an increase everything is going to go up in price

Envy Lawn Service
04-02-2005, 03:33 PM

So, they make increased proffits on the increased price of fuel, but they loose money on the value of their company.

For the 3rd quarter last year, Exxon/Mobil just posted the highest single quarter profit of any company in US history.

To everyone else, these increases are due to supply, demand, taxes, and oil tycoons yucking it up. The industrializing of China has increased demand and wil continue to do so. That's also what re-opening the Alaskan pipeline is all about. Oil for China, not us. Yeah, you read that right....

I'm thinking of getting ahead of the curve and converting everything I can over to more efficent diesels. Diesel trucks, diesel mowers.

lawnandplow42
04-02-2005, 05:09 PM
I totally agree it makes me sick to see all these people driving huge vehicles for no reason. They affect us all. We would do well to stay closer to home and spend our money building our local economies.

ya, i agree.
I need a bigger vehicle for what I do.
But some people don't, and just waste gas.

GrassBustersLawn
04-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Business wise, I'm trying to REDUCE my RADIUS of OPERATION this year. Which will reduce my truck mileage & vehicle gas consumption. I have weeded out some of my "outlying" customers & have INCREASED ADVERTISING in my core areas. Increasing DENSITY of customers.

How could we AS AN INDUSTRY MAKE A DIFFERENCE??? Instead of us all driving all over like we do (how many times have you been at a stop light and seen 2 or 3 other LCO's? I have a BUNCH) we should band together (gentlemen's agreement, etc.) and make "HOME TERRITORIES". XYZ company handles all the business in this square mile (or 2 miles or 10 miles), ABC company handles all the business in the next area and so on. That way we would ALL PROFIT. Less traveling and higher customer density = better profit WITHOUT increasing price to customer!

(and don't anyone come back with "monopoly" or collusion defense!)

Mike

proenterprises
04-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Business wise, I'm trying to REDUCE my RADIUS of OPERATION this year. Which will reduce my truck mileage & vehicle gas consumption. I have weeded out some of my "outlying" customers & have INCREASED ADVERTISING in my core areas. Increasing DENSITY of customers.

How could we AS AN INDUSTRY MAKE A DIFFERENCE??? Instead of us all driving all over like we do (how many times have you been at a stop light and seen 2 or 3 other LCO's? I have a BUNCH) we should band together (gentlemen's agreement, etc.) and make "HOME TERRITORIES". XYZ company handles all the business in this square mile (or 2 miles or 10 miles), ABC company handles all the business in the next area and so on. That way we would ALL PROFIT. Less traveling and higher customer density = better profit WITHOUT increasing price to customer!

(and don't anyone come back with "monopoly" or collusion defense!)

Mike

This is a good plan. If everyone took on this approach, and presuming that is was a sucess, prices really wouldnt have to be raised (due to the increased cost of fuel that is).

If the core of clients was much more dense, that the fuel hike would have much less of a negative effect, less travel time. Anyone else doing this?

iluvbermuda
04-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Not wanting to start a political war, but in my humble opinion our biggest problem regarding gas prices is Mr. Bush.

Littleriver1
04-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Not wanting to start a political war, but in my humble opinion our biggest problem regarding gas prices is Mr. Bush.
That's too funny. Please stop! My sides hurt! A bird craped on my truck today and I think it was W's problem. You got to stop saying that.

Precision
04-02-2005, 07:59 PM

The stock market goes down as a whole when oil prices go up. BUT Oil company stocks go up. go to yahoo and pull up a graph for BP Amoco.

Precision
04-02-2005, 08:08 PM
What was proposed is trying to make an Inelastic good (gasoline) elastic. It simply can not be done. The oil companies could surge the prices to $10 bucks a gallon and you would pay it. An inelastic good means that the demand will stay relatively unchanged in comparison to the price of the good. Trevor

Thank you for saying that so I didn't have to. There is little that can be done about the price of fuel (by the consumer).

Finally Congress signed the ANWR Drilling Bill. I knew they built that Alaskan Pipeline for something. Hopefully in the next couple of years, Alaska will be producing a majority of this countries oil, which will result in us becoming less dependant on the Middle Easter countries. Trevor

Unfortunately, the Alaskan pipeline is showing its age and may have to be completely replaced in the next 5-10 years. And that cost will be passed on to us.

As stated in earlier posts, tighten routes and charge accordingly and you will be fine. If paying $2.50 for gas is enough to make that big of a difference in your bottom line, you arnt charging enough.

Trevor

You got that right. What does the change in price from $1.75 to $2.25 per gallon really cost the solo guy. Truck 40 gallons per week, Stick tools 5 gallons per week, Mowers 10 gallons per week. So 55 gallons per week ( and I know that is high for most solo ops) at $.50 extra per gallon. So we are talking $27.50 weekly or $110 per month. Or One yard.

PMLAWN
04-02-2005, 08:59 PM
ok can some one tell me when i said that the gas price was going to make me go broke Itell you who it will make go broke though the truckers and you can't tell me differnt because my maine job is involed in the trucking indus and i here from them all the time if fuel prices don't go done they will have shut down they have no say in what they get paid the rates have not changed in years so there for they needed a price increase however the stores tell them how much there going to get paid so if there is an increase everything is going to go up in price

It called a fuel surcharge. Its on every bill sent to shipper. And a store can only say how much they will pay till the trucks will no longer ship and than the stores will have nothing to sell. Supply and demand works both ways.
Prices increasing is called inflation. It is not a bad thing. It is prosperity. The opposite is depression.
But than again we are talking with a bunch of LCOs that fight to lower wages all the time.

lawnandplow42
04-02-2005, 09:13 PM
That's too funny. Please stop! My sides hurt! A bird craped on my truck today and I think it was W's problem. You got to stop saying that.

poor bush, everyone will blame him for anything

afftandem
04-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Its goin to take more than a post on lawnsite to organize what you want to do. Besides, if we did what you are suggesting then we'd all be better off, whether gas is 2.30 or $1.25. ......spending more time with our familes, organize our homes, etc..

In a way, we are better off with the high payment.... this will encourage us to look for alternative fuels sources other than overseas oil.. cleaner air and less of the american dollar goin to these countries... if you think we'd have an interest in Iraq if it wasnt for the oil, youre sorely mistaking.. theres plenty of countries with a "saddam hussein".. theyre just not sitting on any resources. (follow the dollar).... so I have a hard time seeing a "support the troops" sticker on a gas guzzelling suv.

Although, for those of us who are in a greater need for gas,(more dependent upon it) i.e. lawnservices, trucking co's, shipping, pizza delivery, etc.. should be given a greater break in a write off, or some other means.

bugspit
04-02-2005, 10:06 PM
you guys with the mindset that we went to war for oil have been sucking on some liberal tit. :dizzy:

the USA imports more oil from Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela that we do from the middle east.

now, if you truly believe Bush is behind this increase in oil prices, lets see your proof.
junk from the democratic underground is not proof, BTW.

nickslawn
04-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Did you think about if you don't buy gas then you will the 18-19, we gotta have it or were not in business. thats unless you wanna use a reel mower, but thats not for me.

caz1
04-02-2005, 10:33 PM
PMLAWN from what i here from the shipper is that the price fuel keeps going up but the fuel charge stays the same..

Ok from what i see from the replies i may be wrong i though it was a good idea well do i at least get an A for effort well lets just try to stay home and spend time with the family may be do something special with the kids if you have them maybe even go to church if you havan't in a long time thanks for showing me all the other points of view good luck in the coming season and gods peace

GrassBustersLawn
04-03-2005, 12:27 AM
BUGSPIT said "have been sucking on some liberal tit."

WOW, I'm surprised that didn't get edited by the MODERATORS! The way they've been cracking down on the 2005 CALENDAR PHOTOS, I thought they'd be moving over to all the other forums. By the way, don't bother going to the Calendar Forum anymore, the only thing they can post now are girls that look like they were living in Afghanistan under the Taliban rule.

Mike

spoolinaround
04-03-2005, 01:03 AM
BUGSPIT said "have been sucking on some liberal tit."

WOW, I'm surprised that didn't get edited by the MODERATORS! The way they've been cracking down on the 2005 CALENDAR PHOTOS, I thought they'd be moving over to all the other forums. By the way, don't bother going to the Calendar Forum anymore, the only thing they can post now are girls that look like they were living in Afghanistan under the Taliban rule.

Mike
go TROLL somewhere else

crawdad
04-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi ladies and gents

Its time to start doing something about gas prices. Gas prices in my opinion are getting out of hand and us Americans are just taking it and I think its time to take a stand and show the gas companies that we are not going to take it any longer. I don't know about you guys but I sick of paying 2.34 a gallon. Ok this is what I propose let fill up the on vehicles on Thursday April 14th.............

OK, we all fill up on the same day, supply goes down, and price goes up. This sounds like one of those foolish email things...I'm not even gonna read this whole thread...

EC-Rider
04-03-2005, 02:31 PM
…Than to those oil companies. We cut down on GVW (gross vehicle weight) to get better gas mileage on automobiles by using more plastics, which are made by…you guess it! Oil derivatives… a classic catch 22 if there ever was one! LOL! :angry:

In Germany they’re paying $4.50 a gal. England I’m told $5.00 a gal…it appears we may have a way to go. :realmad:
The only thing that keeps us lower is that we have more buying power and thus command a better price. :p

Every time they go up, we use less, and they make less profits…but! (Darn those buts! LOL!) Eventually we’ll lose out, until it is more worthwhile to buy or sell more hybrid engines. :waving:
Moreover, those if I may add, have been around since the invention of the modern diesel locomotive, which uses the diesel engine to run an electric generator that in turn powers the wheels.

Oh yeah…and most of those are made by no less then… GM! Go figure! :dizzy:

Bottom line? We’re oil addicts…until we find a cheaper fix! LOL! payup

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::

EC-Rider
04-03-2005, 03:31 PM
I have a vision! :angel:

A small indestructible Redmax two cycle engine that runs an electric generator on a ZTR mower! :blob3:

It would save gas! LOL! :rolleyes:

Can we? payup

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::

SproulsLawnCare
04-03-2005, 04:15 PM
From what I have heard from a friend who has friends in the right places, the cost to drill an oil well and pump the oil into a barrel at this time is around $7-$8 per barrel. Why then is it costing $55 per barrel by the time it gets to the refineries?

Maybe the best way we could get the price of oil to come down would be to give our local representatives a call and let them know that we will be voting come next election! Maybe if they realize they will have to get a real job if they don't act, the price of gas will go down!!

Remsen1
04-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi ladies and gents

Its time to start doing something about gas prices. Gas prices in my opinion are getting out of hand and us Americans are just taking it and I think its time to take a stand and show the gas companies that we are not going to take it any longer. I don't know about you guys but I sick of paying 2.34 a gallon. Ok this is what I propose let fill up the on vehicles on Thursday April 14th. Then on weekend of April 16th and 17th stay home with the family or use the weekend to get stuff done around the house that you have been putting of I sure we all have a honey do list. If you get bored take a walk with the family to a park or something, or just find something to do that does not en-vole gas. But if you think about it when was the last time you just stayed at home for a weekend and just spent time with the family maybe have a big Sunday diner. But anyway in doing this we will be forcing the gas companies to pretty much shut down the refineries because there will not be any gas be shipped to the stations there for there holding tanks will get to full causing them to shut down. I was taking to acouple of people and they said that if no one bought gas for one day the stations would not gas there for no gas would needed to be shipped causing the holding tanks to become over full witch would then lead to shutting down the refineres. I truly believe that this will bring down the price of gas and show the refiners that we no long take the high gas prices. Its time to do more then just talk about it its time to do something about it Remember April 16 and 17th stay home Who on bored if you are e-mail tell family and friends lets get this going thanks long winded but I think we can do something about this

It's a kind of silly idea. I don't think that not buying gas for one day would make a big difference, nor would staying home on the weekend. It would be impossible to get everybody to abstain from buying gas on one day. Secondly, that would just mean more people buying gas the day before, or the day after or in the next day or two following the protest. Thirdly 90% of Americans don't buy gasoline every single day. I would guess that at least 50% of americans only buy gas once or twice per week. If these same Americans didn't buy gas on tuesday, but instead waited until wednesday, what difference would it make? None.

Remsen1
04-12-2005, 12:46 PM
I think another piece of the problem is that the price is not only based on supply and demand, it is also based on pure speculation. Meaning if the people setting the prices think that the price of crude oil is going to go up they raise the prices, if the price doesn't go up they lower the prices back down (maybe), but they don't lower the price back to where it was before the panic. I think the same thing happens with the price of crude, if they predict (right or wrong) a possible shortage or increased demand, they raise the price of crude. And you know what? We're powerless to stop it. They know this. That is why they can control the price in anyway that means their bottom line never goes down. Their bottom line goes up, no matter what happens. They can increase profit due to a shortage, a surplus, a war in Suadi Arabia, I bet they can even profit from an oil spill.

I agree that the oil from Alaska could help us, but I bet that it will only line the wallets of those who are rich enough to profit from it unless the government were to take control of the oil there.

kwelch
04-14-2005, 09:51 AM
What kills me is when I see 2 different gas stations....side by side or across from each other. One will have gas at say 2.10 and the other for 2.34. You would think everyone would be at the gas station that has it for 2.10 and the other gas station that has it for 2.34 would be empty. Well it's not the case....ever. They both are still busy as hell. I think this is one thing that needs to change. If everyone would get gas at the 2.10 station and leave the 2.34 station empty I think gas prices would come down to the lowest offering in that area. What do you guys think?

Richard Martin
04-14-2005, 11:57 AM
KWelch,
You have just stumbled upon one of the most important rules of business. Location, location, location. The $2.34 station is probably on a very, very busy road. Convienence plays as much a part as price to consumers. Is the station easy to get in and out of? Is it "name" brand fuel? Are there plenty of pumps on a large parking lot? Everybody is in a hurry these days. They want to get their gas and be gone even if it means paying more for it.

PMLAWN
04-14-2005, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Remsen1] Thirdly 90% of Americans don't buy gasoline every single day. I would guess that at least 50% of americans only buy gas once or twice per week. QUOTE]

I'm happy to know that I am tilting the scale the other way and making up for their shortfall. On any given day at least 3 of the trucks will stop for gas. payup(smile is for the gas man)

David Grass
04-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Fortunately I have mineral rites in Louisiana and Arkansas, which means I get a bigger check when gas goes up. It is not a lot, but almost offsets the gas increase. If you invest a little in that area, you just dont care if gas goes up. I see how Bush feels!!! Well, on a much much much smaller scale, lol

derek1
04-14-2005, 09:12 PM
KWelch,
You have just stumbled upon one of the most important rules of business. Location, location, location. The $2.34 station is probably on a very, very busy road. Convienence plays as much a part as price to consumers. Is the station easy to get in and out of? Is it "name" brand fuel? Are there plenty of pumps on a large parking lot? Everybody is in a hurry these days. They want to get their gas and be gone even if it means paying more for it.

I agree with you in the fact that everyone is in a hurry now days and a nice clean friendly, well lit gas station at even a higher dollar does seem to make sense. However KWelch does have a really good idea. I can't stand to see the local c-store raise there prices and walmart here is still the lowest of any c-store in town. It really does make me wonder a little bit that the owners of these stores who live in this country don't really care about the consumers of this country.

richmadmax
04-15-2005, 02:13 AM
What kills me is when I see 2 different gas stations....side by side or across from each other. One will have gas at say 2.10 and the other for 2.34. You would think everyone would be at the gas station that has it for 2.10 and the other gas station that has it for 2.34 would be empty. Well it's not the case....ever. They both are still busy as hell. I think this is one thing that needs to change. If everyone would get gas at the 2.10 station and leave the 2.34 station empty I think gas prices would come down to the lowest offering in that area. What do you guys think?

That funny saw something on A&E about gasoline. It's all the same, so why go to the higher station. not me. As long as the station doesn't have the roof falling off and the redneck there is not asking me if i married my sister. I will be at the cheapest one.

Remsen1
04-15-2005, 03:43 PM

This makes sense, but then the lower priced place will usually raise their price. Then everybody has to try to find the next lowest priced place.

Envy Lawn Service
04-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Actually there is a thing floating around right now about boycotting Exxon/Mobil which is a major player. The idea is to stop buying from them, which causes them to crap their pants and lower their pricing in hopes of regaining the customers.

Duramax99
04-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Envy,

Have you looked at the cummins diesel engine offered in the dodge. Its a six cyclinder. Also the diesel engine offered in walker lawn mowers is great. Mow for 2 days on a tank of diesel. I agree that Exxon/Mobil should be boycotted they are making a fortune off of gas prices.

proenterprises
04-15-2005, 06:59 PM
KWelch,
Yep!
Ever notice that its the gas stations that have the convinience stores are always a more expensive. Example-where I drive to school each day, there are 3 stations within the same block. 2 stations are smaller, probably only 8 pumps, no store, just a place to pay. Then, there is a larger station, 12 pumps, full store, lots of items inside, great coffee, etc. You can bet that this place is always more $$$. Why? Because they know that anyone who stops to pick up an item inside is more than likley to fill er up!