PDA

View Full Version : cell phone sickness

yrdandgardenhandyman
04-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Well, it's off to mow I go. Again on a saturday. Don't you just hate it when an employee, in the middle of a job,on a friday afternoon, gets a phone call on his cell, (I guess I should ban them on my time), and 5 minutes later gets sick? :realmad:
Bye bye. And by the way, your final check will be mailed to you. Have a nice life.
<groan> I hate working saturdays. :cry:
Maybe those Hispanic workers aren't such a bad idea after all. :help:
Have a good day y'all. :waving:

Gene $immons
04-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Get rid of the worthless ones as fast as you can. You may have to go through 10 guys to find a good one.

impactlandscaping
04-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Cell phones on my time is a no-no..Lunchtime, I don't care..

AL Inc
04-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Yes, legal hispanic workers are not a bad idea at all. There are bad apples, like every other group, but most of them are here for a reason and that is to make money. I know we don't need another American vs Hispanic thread, but I don't even bother to hire American guys. The only ones that worked hard and were reliable were my cousins and my brother. The others pulled the same things you are experiencing.

LwnmwrMan22
04-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Another reason I quit having employees.

I'd rather KNOW I'm working 60 - 70 hours / week, than THINK I'm working 40 hours and then tell my wife, sorry dear, or my son, sorry, and have to head out.

They both know I make my money in the summer, winter is for play.

yrdandgardenhandyman
04-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Cell phones on my time is a no-no..Lunchtime, I don't care..

Ironically, we were having lunch when he got the call. :jester:

lawnandplow42
04-02-2005, 04:37 PM
no hispanics workin with me!

proenterprises
04-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Does anyone include a policy about cell phones in employee handbooks? It seems that it should be stated. I would state that cell phones should be turned off and stowed either in the employees bag, not in their pocket. Lunchtime is okay, but otherwise, work, not talk.

Mo Green
04-02-2005, 06:38 PM
What a slug.....I would have fired him, too. :gunsfirin

Frank2
04-02-2005, 07:51 PM
no hispanics workin with me!

why???????????

br549oicu8
04-02-2005, 08:07 PM
9. Personal phones are not to be carried during work hours. Phones must be left at the shop or in the truck.

Tha is rule #9 in our employee manual!!!!

Psych-O
04-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm Hispanic and I own a cell phone! :angry: I guess I can't work for any of you guys! :dizzy: Oh! I forgot this is America so you can't DISCRIMINATE?? Anyway I got my on business to run!! :cool2:

yrdandgardenhandyman
04-02-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm Hispanic and I own a cell phone! :angry: I guess I can't work for any of you guys! :dizzy: Oh! I forgot this is America so you can't DISCRIMINATE?? Anyway I got my on business to run!! :cool2:

Look, I apologize if I caused you to be offended. I meant nothing bad about Hispanics. My Grandchildren are Hispanic and very proud of it as am I. I simply meant that I agree that most immigrants have a better work ethic than most of the American youth be they white, hispanic, black, or (me) Native American. Actually, this is the first time this has happened. I don't choose my workers by race. I choose them by willingness to do the work and to follow my directions. I hired this guy because we have known him since he was very little and he needed the work and had done this kind of work before.
Oh, and it was a beautiful day for working but would have been an even more beautiful day for sipping a cold one and watching the Grandson fish. Crap happens I guess. :)

Psych-O
04-02-2005, 11:05 PM
That was for lawnandplow42!!! :D

Envy Lawn Service
04-03-2005, 04:56 AM
Look guys, the cell phone is not really an issue here. The real problem is the maturity and/or work ethic of the employee. If they don't have what it takes, can them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working a man.... hard.

But I think you all need to get off your BossMan High Horse about cell phone rules. The "I own you for 8 hours a day" approach doesn't get you very far with employees, much less low wage seasonal employees. Such rules are unfair and unnessesary. A good employee needs only to be told once to "limit personal cell phone calls." That's all.

You have got to have a lot of gall this day and age to tell your employees what they can and cannot do with their personal communication devices because they are "on YOUR time." It's not like they are in a fixed location, near an incoming telephone line. They are out in the field and I think it is their right to do with their personal communication devices as they see fit, in case of an emergency. That is, unless you would rather have them give out your cell number for emergency calls and commit to being personally responsible for not letting them down.

Good employees are capable of responsible self governing and do not need you to be their dictator in order to be good productive employees. They will honor reasonable rules. As a matter of fact, I'm a firm believer that the best of employees would not bow down to such rules. Many would pass on the job before signing off on over controlling rules, and many of the rest would tell you to take your low paying, hard labor, part time job that guarantees they are laid off for the holidays.... and shove it!

The best of employees are seldom submissive, and that shouldn't be a job requirement.
That rules out the best of self-starters and leaders that you may need to run crews someday.

That's my personal opinion and experience with employees anyways.

lawnman_scott
04-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Look guys, the cell phone is not really an issue here. The real problem is the maturity and/or work ethic of the employee. If they don't have what it takes, can them.

But I think you all need to get off your BossMan High Horse about cell phone rules. The "I own you for 8 hours a day" approach doesn't get you very far with employees, much less low wage seasonal employees. Such rules are unfair and unnessesary. A good employee needs only to be told once to "limit personal cell phone calls." That's all.

You have got to have a lot of gall this day and age to tell your employees what they can and cannot do with their personal communication devices because they are "on YOUR time." It's not like they are in a fixed location, near an incoming telephone line. They are out in the field and I think it is their right to do with their personal communication devices as they see fit, in case of an emergency. That is, unless you would rather have them give out your cell number for emergency calls and commit to being personally responsible for not letting them down.

Good employees are capable of responsible self governing and do not need you to be their dictator in order to be good productive employees. They will honor reasonable rules. As a matter of fact, I'm a firm believer that the best of employees would not bow down to such rules. Many would pass on the job before signing off on over controlling rules, and many of the rest would tell you to take your low paying, hard labor, part time job that guarantees they are laid off for the holidays.... and shove it!

The best of employees are seldom submissive, and that shouldn't be a job requirement.
That rules out the best of self-starters and leaders that you may need to run crews someday.

That's my personal opinion and experience with employees anyways.I couldnt agree more. Then you hear people complain, and hear what they pay on top of that.

lawnman_scott
04-03-2005, 09:05 AM
That was for lawnandplow42!!! :D
but would you even want to work for him?

Cut
04-03-2005, 11:05 AM

how much you charge?

Psych-O
04-03-2005, 10:50 PM
how much you charge?

For what?? :dizzy:

65hoss
04-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Cell phones stay in the truck. Driving between jobs they can use them. No stopping during work to talk with friends or girlfriends.

greeneakers04
04-04-2005, 09:36 AM
A great post, Envy. I may have to include it in it's entirety in my handbook....when I have one. Your future leaders will be naturally fair to others, and the "use the cell-phone and I slash your neck" approach isn't always fair. If they use it too much...

ADVISE
WARN
WARN STERNLY WITH THREAT OF LOSS OF JOB
ADIOS

Robert F
04-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Does anyone include a policy about cell phones in employee handbooks? It seems that it should be stated. I would state that cell phones should be turned off and stowed either in the employees bag, not in their pocket. Lunchtime is okay, but otherwise, work, not talk.

A good question is how many LCO's actually have an employee handbook. It's much easier to fire someone when you have it written down and they sign off that they read and understand it. Anyone have one they'd like to post?

SoloMow
04-04-2005, 06:22 PM
I guess I'll be naive here and ask a stupid question: If an employee is wearing ear protection and operating small engine equipment, how does he even hear a cell phone ring? I know I can't so mine stays in the truck and I check for messages after each job. :cool:

K.Carothers
04-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Cell phones stay in the truck. Driving between jobs they can use them. No stopping during work to talk with friends or girlfriends.

That all depends on if she has a hot friend! :cool2:

Todd's lawncare
04-04-2005, 09:01 PM

That's my personal opinion and experience with employees anyways.
You said it best !!!

lawnandplow42
04-04-2005, 09:03 PM
That all depends on if she has a hot friend! :cool2:

git r' done!!

spoolinaround
04-04-2005, 09:29 PM
no phones on my time, PERIOD! or you will get to use it to call a cab

Cut
04-11-2005, 07:03 PM
I guess I'll be naive here and ask a stupid question: If an employee is wearing ear protection and operating small engine equipment, how does he even hear a cell phone ring? I know I can't so mine stays in the truck and I check for messages after each job. :cool:

put it on vibrate

mommacutz
04-12-2005, 08:00 PM
I agree I quit a job because I couldn't have access to my phone, when you have a family you need to be able to be reached. That does mean to say lollygag. They know when it is appropriate. Also I look for whoever is going to work. [QUOTE=Envy Lawn Service]Look guys, the cell phone is not really an issue here. The real problem is the maturity and/or work ethic of the employee. If they don't have what it takes, can them.

paponte
04-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Has nothing to do with the cell phone. It has to do with work ethic. Sort of like getting a call when your busy, a simple "I'll call you back" is all it takes. :)

yrdandgardenhandyman
04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
I talked to the guy a couple of days later when he came for his paycheck. He apologized for leaving us in a lurch but that he just decided that the job was more physical than he thought it would be. :dizzy:
He is an old school chum of my daughters. He told me he worked in the business before but he didn't tell me that all he did was mow for another LCO. Kind of a lie don't you think? :realmad:
No. It really had nothing to do with the cell phone. It had more to do with the combination of the employee padding his qualifications and my lack of diligence in checking his references. :blush:

JimLewis
04-13-2005, 03:54 AM
SNIP...random ***** about typical lazy american worker....SNIP

<groan> I hate working saturdays. :cry:
Maybe those Hispanic workers aren't such a bad idea after all.

Duh! Ya think?

Why do you think most LCOs employee mostly hispanic employees. 10 out of the 13 guys I employee are hispanic imigrants. Do you think that's my choice??? No! I could really care less. But I am fairly sure my customers would rather see a nice, clean-cut, fit, friendly, white year old kid taking care of their property. That would probably be their first preference. So why don't I do that? It isn't because I haven't tried those kids out. I'd LOVE to have a whole crew of guys fitting that description. And I have before. But 95% of the time, they end up having "Issues." Either they are lazy, or they constantly want days off, or raises, or draws, or they get sick too much, or they gotta stay home with their sick daughter because the ex-girfriend dropped her off or they do drugs or whatever!!! Most all of the americans got "issues". And guess what? I still hire them sometimes. But I am gettng better at weeding them out these days. And even though I still hire them, they still almost never work out. Whereas the hispanics have ZERO issues, would work 7 days a week if I'd let them, and are loyal and happy as heck. It's a no-brainer.

YardPro
04-13-2005, 07:36 AM

yep

we do not allow them. we provide one phone per crew. we know exactly how much time they spend on our phones.