PDA

View Full Version : Wiring trailer lights?

Husky03
04-02-2005, 09:53 PM
I bought a trailer and it has no lights so I have to wire them. I have the harness for my S-10 that goes to the harness on the trailer which I have also. The trailer has no electric brakes, only brake lights and 3 amber color lights in the rear. It also has two anber lights on the front sides. I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone walk me through this or direct me to a place on the net that can show me how?

Thanks... :)

grass_cuttin_fool
04-02-2005, 11:00 PM
TRying to get this straight, the lights are on the trailer but they dont have the wires coming to the front of the trailer. Or do you have the wires at the front of the trailer and need a plug on them to hook to the truck?

Husky03
04-03-2005, 01:43 PM
The lights are on the trailer with about 1 ft of wire hanging off of them. My puppy chewed the wires to shreds in my garage and I have no idea how they were together.

Thanks...

grass_cuttin_fool
04-03-2005, 02:14 PM
I would go to an auto parts store and get a 4 wire harness, I cant remember with out going and looking at my trailer but the colors will be brown, yellow,green, white. White is the ground and I cant remember the others..........someone help us out!!!!!!!!!! but when you get to the front of the trailer and add a trailer plug, just match the colors to the plug and they will be the same on the truck

grass_cuttin_fool
04-03-2005, 02:20 PM
ok I went out and looked, yellow is the left turn, green is the right turn and brown is for the marker/park lights and white is for a ground

rander
04-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Just been down that road. The link below will take you to the Champion Trailer site and a wiring diagram for the 4 wire lighting system you will use on your trailer. The color code is pretty specific and widely used so you can connect to other trailers and other trucks to connect to your trailer. Places like trailer dealers, U-Haul stores and a lot of auto supply stores have pre-made wiring harnesses you can buy reasonably.

http://www.championtrailers.com/4%20pole%20wiring%20dia.pdf

Husky03
04-03-2005, 06:39 PM
I am going to try to go out and mess with them. There is not much wire left so I will have to see what I can do. Do you just use wire nuts to hold the wires together? Do these hold up in the weather?

Thanks...

grass_cuttin_fool
04-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I am going to try to go out and mess with them. There is not much wire left so I will have to see what I can do. Do you just use wire nuts to hold the wires together? Do these hold up in the weather?

Thanks...

I usually use 3M weather proof tape but wire nuts may work ok , especially until you get the wiring correct or should I say check it out to make sure no wires are crossed

hole in one lco
04-03-2005, 06:46 PM
wire caps or butt connectors wrap with electrical tape

lawnandplow42
04-03-2005, 09:35 PM
i say butt connectors with tape.

Generally i don't like nuts

Husky03
04-03-2005, 10:29 PM
I just hooked the wiring harness up to my truck and now the turn signals don't work on my truck. When I turn them on the light stays solid ;) Am I supposed to ground both the old ground wire and the new one one the harness or just the new one?

Thanks...

rander
04-03-2005, 11:57 PM
On the truck socket did you take the white wire to a good ground on the truck frame? On the trailer side did you take the white wire to a good ground on the trailer frame?

Do the truck turn signals and other light work correctly when the trailer is not attached or plugged in? If not check your wiring on the truck, you may have something crossed or a ground cut.
If that works take a test light or VOM and check the contacts on the truck side plug and see if they light as the diagram indicates.

If not, correct the wiring connections to the truck plug. The color code on the truck may not (probably will not) match the wire colors on the plug harness.

If the plug test functions correctly check the wiring on the trailer. You've either got one or more wires misconnected or a short or a bad ground..

rander
04-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Here are some troubleshooting things i found out when wiring up my own trailer. Maybe they will be some help to you.

On the truck socket did you take the white wire to a good ground on the truck frame? On the trailer side did you take the white wire to a good ground on the trailer frame?

Do the truck turn signals and other lights work correctly when the trailer is not attached or plugged in? If not check your wiring on the truck, you may have something crossed or a ground cut.
If that works take a test light or VOM and check the contacts on the truck side plug and see if they light as the diagram indicates.

If not, correct the wiring connections to the truck plug. The color code on the truck may not (probably will not) match the wire colors on the plug harness.

If the plug test functions correctly check the wiring on the trailer. You've either got one or more wires misconnected or a short or a bad ground..

Hope this is some help.

rander
04-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Please excuse me for double posting that last message. It's late and I'm an old man.
Rander

Husky03
04-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Thank you Rander. I am going to screw with it some more when I get time. :)