PDA

View Full Version : can a trailer be too big...

bettergrass
04-02-2005, 09:41 PM
as of the start of this season i currently own a gravely 36 inch walkbehind. since i need a new trailer this year i went up to my local shop and priced some out. they had a 7x12 and a 7x16 that i was interested in. both were the same price because the 7x12 was ordered by the shop after the gas and steel prices hit the roof.

so i bought the 16

my question is that now that i upgraded to a 16 i have to pay 20 more a month in storage

and obviously its a heavier trailer so its a little more gas

last it will be to big to store at our farm up north during the 4 months in the winter now so that will cost me another 400 to keep it in storage year rnd

i do plan to expand to a ztr in the next month and another in this season but do you guys think i make a bad decision on this one...i already purchased it today too so there is a chance that i might be able to trade them

Axl
04-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Trust me you will be happy you bought that size. I bought a 6.5x12 a year ago, and I need to upgrade to a 16. You want extra room for unexpected stuff that you may haul. Plus with the 16 you should have tandem axles and brakes on the trailer so you are good to go.

LB1234
04-02-2005, 09:46 PM
I would try and look at it from more of a positive side...

You now can save yourself trips (fuel & wear/tear savings) becuase you can fit that much more equipment onto your trailer. So the extra 20 a month and the cost of storing the trailer an additional 4 months should eventually more than offset itself. I believe you will be thanking yourself for making the decision going from 12 to 16. Its basically equivalent to another WB on there over the 12 footer. Good luck with it! :waving:

Runner
04-02-2005, 10:46 PM
You definitely did right. There is ALWAYS going to be a time that you will want and need the extra space. All you have done is save yourself money in the long run. Not only that, but be glad you got the one you did for the money. If you hadn't got it, the next guy that went in there to buy a trailer would have.

LwnmwrMan22
04-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Right now I run a 24' V-Nose Featherlite enclosed trailer. If I could, I'd be running a 28 or 32' V-Nose enclosed trailer.

You can never EVER have a big enough trailer. You can never EVER have a big enough storage place, whether it's a garage, storage unit or shop.

The bigger the trailer, the more you can haul. The more you can haul, the less time and gas / energy wasted driving around either picking up a piece of equipment OR PARTS.

The more equipment you have with you at each lawn, the more money you're going to make.

Right now I haul a PermaGreen Ultra, a 22" push mower, 2 trimmers, backpack blower, a Ferris IS4000, a Kubota ZD28, both 60" mowers, a 4 wheeler, and there's still room for a pallet of fertilizer, if I don't want to put the fertilizer in the truck.

All this for one guy to use.

bettergrass
04-03-2005, 12:56 AM
thanks for the support i was really about to kick my self in the butt for buying that big because honestly i look at that thing in my garage right now and think that it looks goofy with only a 36 on it right now

grass_cuttin_fool
04-03-2005, 08:18 AM
I think you made the correct decision. If you were going to mow 10 yards and never have any other mower than the 36'' then maybe you dont need it. But in your post you plan to expand and you will need the space. And far as the storage goes, I would think that is tax deductable and may help in the long run

Likestomow
04-03-2005, 11:31 AM
The reason you bought the 16 is because the 12 would have been too small. Why are you complaining? If it is that big a problem, just keep your business small... end of story.

Precision
04-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I don't know if you do clean-ups or lawn / landscape renovations, but if you do, you will be very happy the first time you have to haul off debris. I have a 7.5 x 16 and often wish it was 7.5 x 24 when doing "deforesting" for new clients. My average one time yard clean up this year is running at about $850 and completely filling my trailer with debris. But one trip to the dump as opposed to 2 saves at least 2 hours (often as much as 5 man hours) So right there I saved the $20 monthly for the whole year.

Trailers are only too big if you can't pull it or manage it in your residential work. Otherwise, bigger is better.