PDA

View Full Version : Removing Oil Stains from Asphalt

pcs
04-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Does anyone know a effective way of removing oil stains from asphalt?

FERT-TEK
04-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Does anyone know a effective way of removing oil stains from asphalt?
Let me handle this one guys........ Dawn dish soap. Dont use any thing else. It is biodegradable and safe for the environment. I am a full time firefighter and we have used that stuff every weekend for fifteen years to wash the bay floors of oil drips from the rigs. Put a small amount directly on the oil stain and work it in with a brush and hose it off. It really works, very little effort and you probably have it under your sink.

I am trying to up mys posts with the hope of becoming an LS addict by Christmas.

Sharper Edge
04-04-2005, 12:12 PM
20 plus years in the asphalt business.. use dawn it works.

South Florida Lawns
04-04-2005, 09:38 PM
if the asphalt has oil on it and it starts to absorb and gets soft how will dawn soap remove the stain and harden the area?

pcs
04-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

FERT-TEK
04-05-2005, 12:12 AM
if the asphalt has oil on it and it starts to absorb and gets soft how will dawn soap remove the stain and harden the area?
Sorry, I am not a chemist. I just know that it works. You may have some problems if the aggregate beneath is exposed. It might then be more difficult to remove but trust me Dawn dish soap works!

FERT-TEK
04-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks. I'll give this a try tomorrow.
Please post your findings. Remember you will need to work it in a little but not much. When we wash the bay floors where our vehicles are parked we usually squirt some Dawn directly on the stain and use an old mop on it. That part of the floor is usually cleaner than the rest.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-05-2005, 02:27 AM
ditto, dish soap works. I have had good luck with dawn and other brand dish soaps.

grasswhacker
04-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Was thinking Dawn also. Good stuff.

Mdirrigation
04-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Dawn will work if it is an oilstain , if the asphalt is soft from the oil , it will have to be cut and patched.

MSS
04-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Cascade works real well

muddstopper
04-05-2005, 07:19 PM
If the asphalt is soft from the oil, let the dawn set for a while before rinseing. The dawn will actually float the oil out of the asphalt. One the oil is gone the asphalt will harden back up, just not overnite.