PDA

View Full Version : Checking For Utility Lines

Wolfie's L&L
04-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Do you guys actually check for utiliity lines before you start digging anywhere, or do you have the homeowner call the state and come out? Here in PA, we usually call before we start a project that has us digging more than a 3" hole, then they come out and check and spray where lines are. Luckily we haven't had any problems yet, but they are pretty accurate on where the lines are located.

Jason

MarcusLndscp
04-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Actually, yes. You'd be crazy not too. It's free and not worth the risk.

SodKing
04-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Look up Dig Safe in your yellow/white pages

Wolfie's L&L
04-03-2005, 11:25 PM
I was wondering because alot of people that I talk to, experience LCO's and homeowners alike don't do a line survey. It's going to cost them one of these times though@

Jason

Frontier-Lawn
04-04-2005, 12:50 AM
i have a clause in my contract that states they must have the utilities marked PERMITS, UTILTIES, MAPS:
All necessary permits to be acquired by THE BUYER prior to the start of any work being performed. THE BUYER is responsible for marking property lines, as well as wetlands borders of said property. THE BUYER is responsible for locating and marking septic systems, irrigation systems, underground dog fences, and wells. THE BUYER agrees to have any overhead conductors lowered to the ground should it be requested in writing. Maps or property plots, if required, are to be provided by THE BUYER.

precisioncut
04-04-2005, 02:10 PM
It takes just a minute to call the company to mark, its free, then you know that things will be done right.

precisioncut
04-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Frankly, I don't know if you do a job and hit a gas line or something that your clause will take the blame away from you.