PDA

View Full Version : Hauling Skidsteer with Dump Trailer

Eclipse
04-03-2005, 10:34 PM
I am wondering how many of you are using a dump trailer to haul a skidsteer or tractor. What brand are you using? Are there any potential "issues" when doing this? Anything you do or do not like about using the dump for equipment?

I was shopping for a truck with a dump bed but I think I am going to put that purchase off until next year, however I still need a dump of some sort. I have ruled out the dump insert because of the lack of "legal" carrying capacity so now I am looking at dump trailers.

I appreciate your comments and informaiton.

Thanks for the advice!

Scag48
04-04-2005, 03:07 AM
Most decent sized dump trailers are essentialy "deck overs" in which the bed of the trailer is over the top of the axles, making the floor pretty high off the ground. We've loaded our skid into our dump trailer once and that was enough. I can't give you numbers as to exactly how high the bed of our trailer is off the ground, but I know that with the height of the bed and our 5 foot ramps that came with it, it's definately steep and a potentially dangerous operation if you so choose to load the machine by yourself. I think it could be done easier if your ramps are say 7 feet long but they would weigh a TON, but nonetheless, yould could do it. I also suggest someone to spot you and watch that your tires stay on the damn ramps. Needless to say I'm a diehard tilt bed fan, I'll never go back to ramps. Some other cons are as follows:

-Since the dump trailer is basically a cube on wheels, they are very difficult to get around the machine while it's loaded in the trailer to chain it down, especially with high sides. This is more of a PITA factor, not so much an incapability. I like to load up fast, usually I can pull up, tilt down the bed of our trailer, get the machine positioned and be chained and gone in 10 minutes.
-If you have a larger skid steer or tractor, width might come into play. The widest piece we could fit in our trailer was the machine and the bucket, couldn't fit our Harley rake or our trencer.

Okay, enough cons. The good side is that you'll have one trailer, keep your costs down. If you can overcome the cons of this trailer then by all means haul your equipment in a dump trailer, thousands of people do it and it can be done. It all depends on what you're willing to sacrifice and what it really comes down to is time.

NEUSWEDE
04-04-2005, 08:20 AM
If your going to get a dump trailer and ever load equipment, get a low profile dump trailer. Deck overs were not made to load equipment in. Depending on the weight of your machine you will want a 10,000 to 14,000 GVWR dump trailer. I am looking at a 6x10 10,000 GVWR which will the weight of the trailer I can carry around 7500lbs which is good for me and the trailer is small enough. Look at Bri-Mar, a lot of people on here have had good things to say about them.
Good Luck

The Good Earth
04-05-2005, 12:22 AM
I have a Bri-Mar DT 612-12 LP HD that I use to carry a loader on if I am only using a loader that day. If you are using it only for bucket work then you will be fine with most any size loader. The only exceptions I have found are with a Bobcat T300 and a Case 95XT. Anything smaller than that and you should be fine unless you are hauling an attachment with you. Can't fit any mid sized loader with an attachment on mine. If you went for a 14 or 16 footer you might be able to, though.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
04-08-2005, 10:03 AM
I have a 6 x 14 ez-dumper and i love it have had my jd 4410 with loader and box blade in there no prob and also friends jd skid steer.

Steve

Itsgottobegreen
04-08-2005, 12:11 PM
I am in the middle of looking for a 7 by 16 dump trailer to used as a equipment hauler. Then in the fall used it as a leaf vac trailer.