PDA

View Full Version : 40' stone wall

gil
04-04-2005, 01:41 PM
I am trying to come out with a figure to give to my customer for a 40' stone wall. I was thinking it will take 2 weeks and 2 men working. Does $6500 sounds too much for this work?. I was thinking close to $8000 but it sounds too much for me. Could you guys help me with advice about pricing?
Thanks

Residential Recreation
04-05-2005, 12:22 PM
is the wall 40' high long wide need more info.

jd boy
04-05-2005, 02:06 PM
two men two weeks is 160 man hours. we charge $40 / hour so that is $6400 in labor alone!

I hope the customer is providing the materials for that price.

gil
04-05-2005, 02:39 PM
This stone wall is 40' long and 3' wide. The problem is that the whole wall is falling apart. Somebody did it 3 or 4 years ago and I think they set the first stone on bare soil. I don't think they didn't even dig a single inch before they set the first stone. I will have to remove every single stone and start all over again. I have done a couple of stone walls for my family before but that was before i opened my own business. I came with the figure of $6500 for labor but that sounds too high for me. I was wondering if that is a normal price for that kind of job.
Thanks again

Residential Recreation
04-06-2005, 01:51 AM
after labor hours are involved i allways add 36% for company and taxes

gil
04-06-2005, 07:55 AM
So $8840 would be a good price for this job? $6500 + 36%=$8840
Is that an average price for that kind of job. I don't want to underbid or over bid

Residential Recreation
04-06-2005, 10:34 AM
did you figure in cost of materials you will need some sort of footing under the wall there are soo many different ways to estimate what you do. if you either if you over or under esitmate someone else will be over or under you this person is hiring you because of your work not some jerkoff she has never met

pjslawncare/landscap
04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a lot of hours for just a 40' wall rebuild. I was figuring 2 - 3 days. Am I missing something

gil
04-06-2005, 10:18 PM
i could do it in 3 days if I had 10 people working on it. I only have 2, so removing 40' of stone wall alone will take at least a couple of days. Can you seriously remove every single rock, dig a 2' deep footing and place those rocks back again in just 2 days? ;) This wall was built just 3 years ago and it is already falling apart!!

motoraced
04-11-2005, 10:20 AM
are you guys kidding me?? seriously. you landscapers give some crazy ass prices for your hardscapes. i'm a stone mason...only work with stones. 6000 for a 40 foot wall, 3 high dry stack just labor?? i could do 50 long, 4 high, with 30 inch concrete, reinforced footer 1 foot think stone veener, semi dry stack or jointed, INCLUDING STONE/materials for that much and make damn good money. by the way, there are codes out there and it seems like many of you guys, from reading this forum, have no clue.

gil
04-12-2005, 07:55 AM
I know the codes. Walls can't be higher than 4' here. Motoraced, I am just gathering information in how to bid for a job like this. I just want constructive information and if I ask is because I need help.

Popper357
04-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Motorace, your so badass why don't you build it for free and humiliate everyone,

Why aren't you in business for yourself anyway since your so badass, I bet there big reasons that you so thoughtfully left that out. You have no clue

stick to racing and being an employee.

Back to the thread,

This job up for bidding does seem expensive at the 6k range. Since your grade is set, materials in place, your costs for gravels and drainage won't be high. Most you'll need is a min ex and a bobcat to hump gravel. If there's good access I'd be profitable at a much less rate. $3500 is a high rough est. 16-20 man hours. Show the wall with some pics.

gil
04-19-2005, 11:11 PM
This is the wall in question. the wall is set in bare soil. You see after 3 years the whole thing is falling apart.

aclassic
04-19-2005, 11:36 PM
a company i used to work for charged $26 or $27 per sq. face foot. this covered labor, machine hours, labor, materials, etc.
i'd put down a foot or so of slag, or dolomite compacted for the footer and then bury 1 course, so your going to need more stone than you have. sometimes cleaning up other peoples dirty work is harder than starting from scratch.

motoraced
04-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Motorace, your so badass why don't you build it for free and humiliate everyone,

Why aren't you in business for yourself anyway since your so badass, I bet there big reasons that you so thoughtfully left that out. You have no clue

stick to racing and being an employee.

Back to the thread,

This job up for bidding does seem expensive at the 6k range. Since your grade is set, materials in place, your costs for gravels and drainage won't be high. Most you'll need is a min ex and a bobcat to hump gravel. If there's good access I'd be profitable at a much less rate. $3500 is a high rough est. 16-20 man hours. Show the wall with some pics.

hey jack ass, i OWN my own business, and have for the past 7 years.

gil
04-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Do you think a 4K range is still high? I still have to remove the whole wall. Can this be done in 1 week (just me working?)

RedWingsDet
04-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Get a skid steer and a 5yard dump. Pick up all the old crap with the skid steer and haul it away. Get new stone and 21aa, Dig a trench, level, 8" of 21aa, level, compact it, bury one stone then lay the rest on top and backfill correctly and your set. Much easier than taking the old stones and setting them aside and all that crap. It shouldnt take more than 2-3 days with 2 people. Getting rid of the old crap shouldnt take more than 2hours with the skid steer and dump, rent the skid steer and rent a dump. you can prolly rent the dump from homedepot.

Figure you should be able to get this stuff done within 12-15 hour days...
Day One: Get old crap out and haul it off, dig trench, haul off dirt, level, lay 21aa, level, compact, check for level again.
Day Two: lay stone and backfill and do your clean up and finishing touches and collect your money!

I'd charge $3700 for labor + materials. I always like to high bid stuff because around here your will most likely still get the job, but mainly because you have to factor in extra $ incase some unforseen circumstances come up. For instance, when your digging a trench you may hit a cable line or sprinkler line, or something more major like a gas line.

But I dont see why it would take longer than 3 days max, because if you rent that equipment as I stated above and have all the materials delivered, it should take 2 days.

By charging 3700 + materials, you should make a good amount of money. idk what you pay your employee, but I pay my helpers 8 an hour for cutting and 10 for landscape work. So figure as far as labor goes, you pay him $300 max, and then take like $1200 for yourself and put the $2000 left into the business bank.

But hey, thats just what I would do and my estimation on everything.

treedoc1
04-23-2005, 05:06 PM
I have been doing this for longer than some of the advisors have been alive...some of the advice seems to be a little far fetched and less than knowledgeable, take into account the age and experience of the advice givers.

The rock in your pictures lends itself better to mortar work rather than dry stack. You will need more than the pile that is there for a good wall...plan on an additional purchase of stone...or cinder block if you decide on a thick veneer.
My normal price for that would be $35 face foot...roughly 40 x 3.5 (remember a 6" footing minimum) 140 face feet x $35 = $4900 that includes your extra stone purchase.
I would also charge for the demo/disposal work. 16 man hours x $50 = $800

Final cost to make that wall repair would be $5700

I would schedule the 4 man crew for 4 days. You need to extra time to let the footer set and the joint work.

SodKing
04-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Treedoc...wouldn't you count face feet not only on the front side, but also the top and visible backside leading to 420 face feet?

gil
04-23-2005, 07:16 PM
treedoc1, that sounds good, and thanks for the info. it helps me a lot. Do you think those stones could be re-used? You said to haul it off. Would you start fresh and order new and better stones?

treedoc1
04-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Sod King...the $35 face foot price for me includes a roughly 18" wide wall. After all these years, the face of the wall I bury looks just as good as the exposed face...it takes longer to not do a good job. The $35 face foot price is in reality a cubic price...(a 12" x 12" square 18" in width is $35.) The additional time it takes to build a drystack wall equals the extra cost in material to build a veneer wall...I price them the same. If the client wants a seat wall as apposed to a landscape wall, however, I charge $59 a face foot. This includes the 2 good sides and a flagstone 18" wide cap. these walls are mortared work, veneered on block or solid stone on a concrete footer.

gil...the price was to use the existing stone and purchase a little more to match. The debris disposal is for the topsoil that you will be excavating to make a good footer.

motoraced
04-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Sod King...the $35 face foot price for me includes a roughly 18" wide wall. After all these years, the face of the wall I bury looks just as good as the exposed face...it takes longer to not do a good job. The $35 face foot price is in reality a cubic price...(a 12" x 12" square 18" in width is $35.) The additional time it takes to build a drystack wall equals the extra cost in material to build a veneer wall...I price them the same. If the client wants a seat wall as apposed to a landscape wall, however, I charge $59 a face foot. This includes the 2 good sides and a flagstone 18" wide cap. these walls are mortared work, veneered on block or solid stone on a concrete footer.

gil...the price was to use the existing stone and purchase a little more to match. The debris disposal is for the topsoil that you will be excavating to make a good footer.

whats your companies name? i'm in the nova/dc/md area