PDA

View Full Version : Gator Mulching Blades......any good????

Mr. Burns
04-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Does anyone use them?? If so are they any good??

jt5019
04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
I use them and yes they are very good.I use them mainly in the fall to help with the leaves but some people use them year round.

Mr. Burns
04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info, I might get one for an older mower used as a mulcher, the current blade is 4 years old and has never been sharpened and probably just needs to be replaced. It never has mulched very well.

TClawn
04-04-2005, 03:28 PM
the gators I have mulch very well, only thing to watch out for is to not try discharging with them, they chop the clippings up so much that they make grass turds. I like medium lifts for wet grass. or doubles (gator underneath a high lift).

Up North
04-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Use Gators right through the mowing season. I alternate between the Gators and regular blades...don't know why I guess but I like the Gators if the grass is a bit longer, I can get away with cutting and not bagging. Really like them when it comes to spring and fall mowing...leaves, what leaves???

Buck

AEW
04-04-2005, 06:14 PM
I started using them when the leaves were coming down and they are very good. I have kept on using them and also alternate between them and high lift blades. They are used to cut up clippings/leaves/trash/whatever more and into smaller pieces. Work well at their job...

Tonyr
04-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Oh No, there's that dang Moooose again!

How are ya Buck?

Blades....try Gator Magnums if ya can, I tried them on my turbo force deck, very nice clean cut, reduced clipping size, but as per all mulch blades, best on dry grass as they spit out clumps on wet grass.

In dry conditions they are a good general purpose blade, good lift too.

Another type to look at is Raptors...from Stens Corp. kinda similar to an Exmark 'wavey' blade, i.e bi level cut edges and notched sail like gators.

Terry Rogers
04-04-2005, 07:43 PM
How well would they work on a grasshopper with a grass collection system?
Do you think you would still get the clumps?
Thanks for any info.

Tonyr
04-04-2005, 07:55 PM
that's a question I can't answer, don't know anything about grasshoppers or collection systems, I only side discharge and mulch mow.

I always thought for grass collection systems high sail blades were the go, but the gator magnums are a high lift mulch blade so 'could' be ok....

raptors....doubt it, more a dedicated mulch blade, the gator would be better as the raptors chop the grass even finer, which wouldn't be desirable I would think.

sorry I can't help.

WoodBrothersLC
04-04-2005, 08:06 PM
They are the best thing to happen to fall cleanups!

tx_angler
04-04-2005, 08:46 PM
They are the best thing to happen to fall cleanups!
They are? Which are they? This thread mentions several type of blades.

lawnkid
04-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Try Scag eliminator blades. I thought Gators worked well until I tried the Scag marbine Eliminator blades. They put Gators to shame. I still have to try Meg-mo's blades. They look pretty good too.

Up North
04-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh No, there's that dang Moooose again!

How are ya Buck?

Blades....try Gator Magnums if ya can, I tried them on my turbo force deck, very nice clean cut, reduced clipping size, but as per all mulch blades, best on dry grass as they spit out clumps on wet grass.

In dry conditions they are a good general purpose blade, good lift too.

Another type to look at is Raptors...from Stens Corp. kinda similar to an Exmark 'wavey' blade, i.e bi level cut edges and notched sail like gators.

Hey ol' Mate!! Doing great! How bout yourself? Been so long since I've heard from ya I thought maybe one those big old brown snakes got a hold of you... :D Glad to see you're still around buddy, my moose has been mighty lonely...he'll be glad to see that Toro again.

Tony brings up a good point, and someone (TC I believe) mentioned it earlier as well. When the grass is wet I also get some clumps or grass turds as TC mentioned. If that happens I lift the deck a notch and give it another pass before I finish up and that disperses them pretty good. The Magnums are what I use, very good blade. One other thing I will mention, make sure you balance them before installing them, I found that they are not balanced very well coming from the factory...just an FYI.

Buck

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-04-2005, 10:49 PM
the current blade is 4 years old and has never been sharpened

Here's my question, how do you go 4 years and never sharpen a blade?

lawncare4u
04-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Does anyone use them?? If so are they any good??

Good for fall cleanup/with a chute blocker!

spoolinaround
04-05-2005, 04:23 AM
Here's my question, how do you go 4 years and never sharpen a blade?
alot of homeowners never even touch the blade on their mowers until they hit something or they throw the mower away

Mr. Burns
04-05-2005, 09:25 AM
9/11....that's what happened!!! I was in the Air Force and got activated for 2 years. So the mower was used by the Sister-in-law while I was gone fighting wars. When I got back the house needed so much other work that I never got to the blades, or much service on the mower. However, 3 days ago, I put a new battery in her and some new Amsoil, boy that old regular oil was black! And now I have the blade off and was thinking to just replace it with a better mulcher blade while I had it off.

I regularly maintane my machines, Harleys, Mowers, Cars, Trucks.....but due to the unfortunate events of 9/11.....these maintence routines were slightly adjusted to say the least!!!!

I'm getting caught up now and the mower runs great, just would like some new blades....and maybe one of those "quiet" mufflers that supertrap and a few others sell.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys have for me!!! I have learned a lot from this site!!! GO LAWNSITE.COM

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-05-2005, 09:44 AM
9/11....that's what happened!!! I was in the Air Force and got activated for 2 years. So the mower was used by the Sister-in-law while I was gone fighting wars. When I got back the house needed so much other work that I never got to the blades, or much service on the mower. However, 3 days ago, I put a new battery in her and some new Amsoil, boy that old regular oil was black! And now I have the blade off and was thinking to just replace it with a better mulcher blade while I had it off.

I regularly maintane my machines, Harleys, Mowers, Cars, Trucks.....but due to the unfortunate events of 9/11.....these maintence routines were slightly adjusted to say the least!!!!

I'm getting caught up now and the mower runs great, just would like some new blades....and maybe one of those "quiet" mufflers that supertrap and a few others sell.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys have for me!!! I have learned a lot from this site!!! GO LAWNSITE.COM

Very understandable.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-05-2005, 02:57 PM
I like gator mulchers. Especially when I find them for $8 a blade.

Joel B.
04-05-2005, 03:09 PM
For those of you that use Gators as a second blade, do you still get clumping in long/wet grass? I get occasional clumping with my regular lift blades on a Snapper WB and am wondering if I use doubles (Gators on top) if I can reduce the clumping. Or are the Gators just going to increase the clumping?

Thanks,

Joel B.