PDA

View Full Version : spring clean-up tree removal

stevesmowing
04-04-2005, 04:09 PM
One of my customers contacted me and wanted to know if I would be interested in removing a tree that tipped over in his lawn. The tree it all down now. Some of it is cut and up and be just hauled away. There is about a 10' long section that is uprooted and still attached to the ground. This part is about 24" in diameter. What would be the best way to remove this and cut it up if I were to take the job. I only have a 14" and 16" chain saw now I am trying to see if i can find a rental anywhere larger than 18". Any other ideas?

Itsgottobegreen
04-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Got any pictures. Up rooted trees can be dangerous. They can be under tension, so when you start to cut pieces off. The weight is reduced. The tree could spring back up and knock you out in the process.

But if you only have a 16" saw. Cut one side, then go over to the other side and cut in the same saw kerf. Just be careful, since the risk of kick back is great when cutting wood with the tip. You also can easily pinch the saw blade when the tree is laying on it's side.

Or charge him for what it would cost you for a new Stihl chains saw with a 24" bar. Then have a new toy to play with. This is what I would do.

Kate Butler
04-04-2005, 07:33 PM
If you are unaccustomed to using a chainsaw with an 18" (or larger) bar, it might not be entirely wise to learn on a job that you have questions about. If I were doing the cutting, I'd drop manageable slabs, starting at the end of the aboveground section, working toward the parts still below ground. This will obviate a large part of the unpredictable felling directionality that can result from stress/torque in a 'leaner'.

D Felix
04-12-2005, 09:11 PM
IF YOU'VE NEVER CUT A TREE THAT IS DOWN LIKE YOU DESCRIBE, DON'T ATTEMPT IT!!!

As late as I'm replying though, you've probably already done it...

The above statements about the tree possibly righting itself are entirely true, and it is a DANGEROUS situation.

Call a pro. Check out http://www.isa-arbor.com and click the "Find an Arborist" link. Call someone on that list. If you are hesitant to do that, go to Arboristsite (http://www.arboristsite.com) and read through the "Injuries and Fatalities" forum. Tree work is dangerous even if the tree is on the ground- and especially so when it's still attached to the root plate!

Concentrate on what you do best (I assume mowing), and let someone else who deals with trees on a daily basis do what they do best.

Dan