PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my truck, please...

bcg
04-04-2005, 09:21 PM
I've got a '99 Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0L V6. Sunday it started idling kinda or rough (almost dieseling) and had some hesitation in acceleration. Just a little after that started, the Check Engine light came on so I took it to Autozone to pull the codes. Computer says it's missing on cylinder 5. I had this problem not long ago with cylinder 4 so I replaced the plug and wire (I'd done them all at about 70k, truck now has 107k) and it didn't help at all. back to Autozone, same error (after running it a while to see if it would clear) so I replace the coil pack, still no joy. I don't know what to try now. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks!

lawnandplow42
04-04-2005, 10:15 PM
could it be a distibuter problem?

Are you sure its electrical?

bcg
04-04-2005, 10:23 PM
There's no distibutor on this one. I'm afraid it might be an injector but I'm hoping that someone can give me some other answers.

PLM-1
04-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Try running fuel injector cleaner through it. it may be clogged. I would try that a few times before changing fuel injectors.

riches139
04-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Vacume leak?

John Gamba
04-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Have a garage do a systems check.

John

Residential Recreation
04-07-2005, 12:36 AM
what made you think it was the coil pack? and yes it does have a distrubetor its electric. power distribution system. buy a chiltons. there could be many reasons why your #5 cyl isnt firing. do you know the hillbilly way to see if its gettin spark screwdriver cable ground. so on so fourth. it might be the injector or it could be a computer problem. are you burnin oil does it smell sweet at times. blown gasket. crank shaft misaligned.

cndhaines
04-07-2005, 01:28 AM
switch #5 spark plug with another cylander it could be a cracked plug, get u a good pair of insulated pliars and while the truck is runninng pull off the spark plug wire to #5 do u hear a change in idle.if u hear a chnage its no longer missing on that cylander. if no change then its still there, then see if u have a buddy with a compression gauge, if u have atleast 100 lbs start looking at injectors.

chris

sheshovel
04-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Vacume leak?

I agree ,I just had a tiny cracked vacumme line and you'da thought the engine was gonna fall out!!Cost to fix?$1.99 Cost of knowing how to fix invaluable.

sheshovel
04-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Could also be your plug wires are melting thru in spots causing arc cuz they are up against the hot manifold or heads.They shouldent be touching anything or each other.

The Good Earth
04-07-2005, 10:35 PM
My Chevy R-30 was doing just about the same thing. Check your electronic spark module. If it is 5 years old and has 107k on it, it might be cooked. Plus side is it is an easy fix.

fixer67
04-07-2005, 11:42 PM
You could try to recycle the ECU. Disconnect the battery and wait about 10 minutes and reconnect the battery. Try starting the engine and let it run for at-least 15 to 20 minutes. Now how does it run? By recycling the ECU you are resetting the computer back to the default settings it came from the factory with. It can take up to 20 minutes for it to relearn the settings for your engine. I have done this on several cars and trucks and even Kohlers with EFI systems and it has helped. It is something to try before taking it to the shop. NOTE=After recycling the ECU the engine may run like crap for the first few minutes until it relearns the settings.

bcg
04-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Turns out it's a burnt exhaust valve. Not good... :(