PDA

View Full Version : Raised patio What do you do with siding?

bigviclbi
04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
What do you guys do to the siding that will be covered up with base aggregate from raised patio? Do jyou guys just leave it, snip it off, or cover it with fabric? I have snipped it and have left it, what is the proper way to do it?

mbella
04-04-2005, 10:34 PM
I remove it and waterproof the area, usually by using flashing.

cgland
04-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Mike - Do you then re-"J" channel it?

Chris

bigviclbi
04-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Really no water should be getting in there right? Especially if the gutter hangs over the joint and since it slopes away from the house? And the fact that the paver and base are impervious?

mbella
04-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Mike - Do you then re-"J" channel it?

Chris

I don't re "J" it. I waterproof it and run the block up to cover the bottom lip. If you re "J" it then you can't butt the block flush with the wall. You have to end the block below it or else you would have a gap. As long as you water proof behind the siding then there shouldn't be a problem.

YardPro
04-05-2005, 08:25 PM
you have to waterproof it with a membrane.

opplandscape
04-05-2005, 11:24 PM
You have to be careful - if you cover it and it's tight, the siding (vinyl) will tend to buckle. It has to stay loose to allow for expansion/contraction. If you don't use J-channel, it needs to be secure close to the cut so it doesn't move around with the wind. The cleanest look is to use J-channel. Take off the siding, reattach the channel along the paver surface and reinstall the siding.....

bigviclbi
04-05-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm sorry for being so green, but how does the water damage occur? Does the siding rot or hold water if its below grade? Can the water be absorbed below and spread up? I am not sure why siding that doesn't show would make a difference if it got messed up. Could I caulk a joint where I butted the top of the paver to the existing siding?

opplandscape
04-05-2005, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry for being so green, but how does the water damage occur? Does the siding rot or hold water if its below grade? Can the water be absorbed below and spread up? I am not sure why siding that doesn't show would make a difference if it got messed up. Could I caulk a joint where I butted the top of the paver to the existing siding?

Let's back up...What type of siding are we talking about...wood, vinyl?? Water will follow the path of least resistance. Once it gets under the siding, it will find any place that will let it in.... If it gets behind the siding and the siding is trapped by the pavers, the water will also be trapped. It will look for an outlet, depending on the wall material under the siding, usually wood, it will probably work its way into the structure. That would lead to water damage, which they could hold you liable for. The problem with caulking is it will eventually fail no matter what the manufacturer claims....

bigviclbi
04-06-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm talking vinyl siding, usually I'm below it or it is over concrete block at the height that I install my patios.