PDA

View Full Version : Online source for native tree species?

turnipgreen
04-05-2005, 02:01 PM
I hope I chose the right forum. I've got over an acre in central Alabama that needs trees planted. I want to use native trees, but for some reason local nurseries like to carry exotic things. I'm looking for a place to get blackgum, sourwood, fringe tree, etc. Anyone know of a place online with good prices and good plants?

Thanks

Ron

akerr
04-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Heritage Seedlings in Oregon will have everything you need. I think the address is www.heritageseedlings.com. They supply growers so their stock might be smaller then what you are looking for, but for a naturalization project it would be perfect. Your cost would be lower, because you would get larger quanities that are smaller in size. It would be the way I would go because you will be able to see the evolution of the woodland.

Good Luck

turnipgreen
04-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks. That's the kind of place I'm looking for, but they didn't stock some of the things I needed due to them being in the northwest and me being in the southeast. And, I'm not sure i would need as many trees as I would have to order to qualify for their minimum order.

Any other suggestions?

vharrison2
04-05-2005, 03:45 PM
www.plantfinder.com or betrocks

D Felix
04-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Try http://www.woodywarehouse.com

Though I think they really only sell to wholesale customers. Haven't used them at all, can't give a recommendation either way.

Dan