PDA

View Full Version : Best tiller for lawn renovation

rjjmurph
04-05-2005, 06:06 PM
which would be the best tiller to use to renovate small areas of lawn (~1000 sqft) - a front tine or rear tine? Existing lawn is shot and needs some serious amending. Who makes a good tiller?

Ground Master
04-05-2005, 09:23 PM
barreto tiller

Old Red
04-07-2005, 05:39 AM
I like the Barreto. I have and use a troybilt rear tine tiller. I use that with a shovel and a tiller attachment on a Stihl 110 for the edges. Last year I was on a job and the troy just wouldn't run. Instead of frogging around with it I went to a nearby Taylor Rental and rented a Barreto tiller. What a world of difference.

sildoc
04-10-2005, 10:01 PM
What ever you do, don't buy a frount tine tiller. You will work your butt off.
I like the BCS, and have used baretto. Both are good. If you can buy it at sears or lowes or other of the such you will not be happy. Not enough HP to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time.

rjjmurph
04-11-2005, 12:34 AM
sildoc - that is the respeonse I was waiting for. I thought that was the case, but needed confirmation about rear vs front. Thanks.

sildoc
04-11-2005, 02:54 AM
sildoc - that is the respeonse I was waiting for. I thought that was the case, but needed confirmation about rear vs front. Thanks.
No problem. I borrowed my Step fathers front tine tiller 4 years ago. right after I was finished with that job I bought a rear tine tiller. Needless to say so did my step father. Front tines are only good if you use them once in a while in already tilled dirt. In other words useless.

farmered
04-23-2005, 11:21 PM
I have tried to use my BCS 948 14 HP Diesel (Lambordini 3LD510) with the 34" tiller on virgin sod and it doesn't work very well, my Virginia clay ground is too tough for it. Now the Berta bi-directional rotary plow on the same BCS is a totally different story - works right in, the problem is it is too narrow - leaves a worked path of 6-10" but it's 9" deep or so.

So, your answer depends on what kind of soil you have and whether it's been worked before.

Don't even bother with those troy-built toy tillers on the kind of soil I have here. I should probably run a 3-4 bottom plow with my Agco Allis tractor instead of dorking with the stupid BCS, or spent the money on that expensive spader - since no-till is all the rage these days. But I digress... :)

Gilla Gorilla
04-24-2005, 12:09 AM
If you have a rental yard that rents the Toro Dingos call them and ask if they rent the Soil Cultivator attachment. It is a one pass prep attachment and your ready to spread the seed or lay the sod. It will till up existing sod with NO problem at all an looks great at the end of the job.

southscape
06-02-2005, 11:49 PM
What Gilla said. One that attaches to a mini skid....

jwholden
06-03-2005, 12:03 AM
I third Gilla. My soil cultivator is coming next week. :)

freddyc
06-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Question:

Are you just doing this one 1000 sq/ft area or more??

If you're just doing this one, just rent any tiller and charge accordingly. Yes a front tine tiller is a ton of work.....but most of the answer ends up in another question.... what kind of soil is there, are there any tree roots around, and are you just tilling in whats there or are you removing it and replacing the soil??????

Sorry for all the questions, but buying a $4000 tiller to just do 1000 sq/ft is a bit ridiculous. Renting almost anything to do a sandy soil of that size would be acceptable. Also, if its personal use and its just that one job, your time is your own-- so a $50/day rental vs a $200/day dingo rental might be a decision for you.

No matter what, a rear tine is better but, don't EVER consider a front tine with a clay soil--- I once did a patch about 24" wide x 20 ft long with a front tine--- took me 1 1/2 hours in clay and it did a crappy job. Never again.

One other option,,,,, call a local guy who tills gardens and it might be close to the same price as a rental.... then you can just have a beer and watch... :drinkup: