PDA

View Full Version : When estimating a job

1MajorTom
04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
When you estimate the time a job will take you, do you look at the job and say to yourself, "ok this will take me one hour to do, this is how much I need to make." or do you say, "this should take me one hour to do, but I may run into problems, I better price a little higher incase this happens".
When Matt prices out a job, as example, he just did a small paver patio, he looks at it and decides what his hours are, then adds in some extra play room for errors. I don't care if it's a cleanup, a mulch job... if he runs into problems, he can tolerate it, cause he knows he planned ahead for any mishaps. I'm not talking grass cutting, I'm talking other kind of work.
Does anyone else price like this or do you just strictly bid on how you estmate your exact hours, and if you run into problems, you just take the loss? We aren't out to win every bid anyway, so we do come in higher most times, but it sure beats underestimating our time.

Woody82986
04-05-2005, 08:26 PM
When I do clean ups and the like, I always build in a cushion, in case of unforeseen circumstances.

grass_cuttin_fool
04-05-2005, 08:32 PM
I usually try to figure the cost of clean up/ mulch then add 50% to it for error. If I think I can do it for $100 ,I charge $150 usually Im not off to far. I never was full time untill last year and I feel more comfortable bidding theese now and try to be a little closer and my figures the more of them I do

Charles
04-05-2005, 08:34 PM
I estimate what its going to take and then double that

pjslawncare/landscap
04-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I always add cushion because more times than not you will need it and its easier than adding more to the price after the fact.

packerbacker
04-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Good question. I just bid a job for 2.5 yards of mulch, 450 SQ FT of sod and 45 feet of drainage to be put in. I bid it for $750.00.

Basically I came to that price taking what it would cost me for supplies.

2.5 yards of mulch for $93.00
56 rolls of sod for $154.00
45 feet of hose and all the other supplies (basin, tee for guttering, odds and ends) for about $125.00

Total- $372.00

Which leaves about $375 for labor. I figure it will take me about 1.5 hours to do the mulch. 1.5 hours for the sod and 3 hours to put the drainage together.

Thats 6 hours total. Which means ideally Ill be making about $63.00 an hour.

That 6 hours is the MAX the job should take. Id like to think I could get it all done in about 4.5 to 5.

So in answer to the question. I do give myself a coushion on labor in my favor.

And BTW I got the job.

Precision
04-05-2005, 08:54 PM
always cushion especially on jobs that you KNOW often have hidden problems arise. That I yet another reason that I never bid things hourly but by the job.

I still get burned sometimes, but the cushion on others makes up for it.

all ferris
04-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Jodi,
To be honest, it depends on how busy I am when I do the bid. My time becomes much more valuable in the spring.

bobbygedd
04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
ok, so, jodi....you get a call for a lawn cut customer. you show up, you will charge $45 a cut. you quote it as $45 per cut. great, you're hired. you show up on cutting day, you pull the 48" off, and the lady comes out, "oh, dear me, no way do i want you to use that big monster on my lawn. i want you to use that one (pointing to the 21")." same price right? $45 a cut?

1MajorTom
04-05-2005, 09:10 PM
That wouldn't happen though you see, due to the fact that we actually communicate intelligently with our customers, so they know exactly what to expect before we start to work.

packerbacker
04-05-2005, 09:12 PM
That wouldn't happen though you see, due to the fact that we actually communicate intelligently with our customers, so they know exactly what to expect before we start to work.

But doesnt that take the fun out of charging them for having dew on their lawns?

bobbygedd
04-05-2005, 09:16 PM
really now, so, you suggest when i bid a spring cleanup, it should go like this, "hi mrs. jones, yes the fee for the cleanup will be $150. i willarrive roughly 10:30 am tuesday morning. i'll have with me a 36" bobcat, with meg mo blades that i purchased from a guy named roy. he's quite the gentleman you know...." duh! yea jodi sure, you quote them a price for the job, or you give them an autobiography? you are being rediculous (standard practice when you and jethro run out of intelligent ways to debate). is the price still $45, or not?

1MajorTom
04-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Gedd,
Yes we do ask what type of mower they expect to be used. Some people actually want a 21" used, so like I said, we know that before we give our price.

You aren't making much sense. Just because you can get the cleanup done faster with your special blades you purchased, shouldn't you still price accordingly and price it like the job is worth? Didn't you pay extra for those blades? Are you giving a discount to the customer, because you can get done faster using that technique? :dizzy:

bobbygedd
04-05-2005, 09:28 PM
sure jodi. that is a real cute way you and what's his face run your business. i do it a little different. i don't explain step by step how i'm going to clean thier twigs and leaves, i just think that's a bit ******ed. i give them a price based on the way I KNOW BEST how to do the job. if they want me to handrake in a swamp, well, i'll let them call matt. btw, have you been able to teach him yet how to walk without his knuckles dragging on the ground?

grasswhacker
04-05-2005, 09:29 PM
But doesnt that take the fun out of charging them for having dew on their lawns?

I thought we all agreed last season that the dew surcharge was over the top since bobby brought it up.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=92020&page=2&pp=10&highlight=surcharge+dew

dvmcmrhp52
04-05-2005, 09:30 PM
sure jodi. that is a real cute way you and what's his face run your business. i do it a little different. i don't explain step by step how i'm going to clean thier twigs and leaves, i just think that's a bit ******ed. i give them a price based on the way I KNOW BEST how to do the job. if they want me to handrake in a swamp, well, i'll let them call matt. btw, have you been able to teach him yet how to walk without his knuckles dragging on the ground?

So THIS is what intelligent debate is...........
Now I get it..........................

1MajorTom
04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
We don't explain step by step either, however we do listen to the customer first to find out their expectations... then we price accordingly.
btw, what time does the bus driver of the short bus arrive at your house to pick up his passenger to take to the agency?

bobbygedd
04-05-2005, 09:39 PM
the bottom line is the bottom line. i must be doing something right. you know when 2 pm rolls around, and jethro is only halfway thru with his day? that's about the time i'm firing up the boat and headed out fishin. but hey, if it's workin for you, why change....

aries
04-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Most of the jobs I bid on are price per sq ft when it comes to paver's concrete ect, I find that this is the only way to stay in competition with others, unless it comes to a job that I do not know what is involved then I figure on price per sq ft plus time & material.

Flex-Deck
04-05-2005, 09:58 PM
When you estimate the time a job will take you, do you look at the job and say to yourself, "ok this will take me one hour to do, this is how much I need to make." or do you say, "this should take me one hour to do, but I may run into problems, I better price a little higher incase this happens".
When Matt prices out a job, as example, he just did a small paver patio, he looks at it and decides what his hours are, then adds in some extra play room for errors. I don't care if it's a cleanup, a mulch job... if he runs into problems, he can tolerate it, cause he knows he planned ahead for any mishaps. I'm not talking grass cutting, I'm talking other kind of work.
Does anyone else price like this or do you just strictly bid on how you estmate your exact hours, and if you run into problems, you just take the loss? We aren't out to win every bid anyway, so we do come in higher most times, but it sure beats underestimating our time.

You are talking commercial landscaping - I have no clue ask me about mowing.

ToroLover
04-05-2005, 11:43 PM
the bottom line is the bottom line. i must be doing something right. you know when 2 pm rolls around, and jethro is only halfway thru with his day? that's about the time i'm firing up the boat and headed out fishin. but hey, if it's workin for you, why change....
Really? Are you sure it's working for you? Is that why you had her charge your order on her credit card?? ;)
tick tock tick tock, 20 more minutes and the late fees will be applied.... payup

yrdandgardenhandyman
04-06-2005, 04:06 AM
really now, so, you suggest when i bid a spring cleanup, it should go like this, "hi mrs. jones, yes the fee for the cleanup will be $150. i willarrive roughly 10:30 am tuesday morning. i'll have with me a 36" bobcat, with meg mo blades that i purchased from a guy named roy. he's quite the gentleman you know...." duh! yea jodi sure, you quote them a price for the job, or you give them an autobiography? you are being rediculous (standard practice when you and jethro run out of intelligent ways to debate). is the price still $45, or not?

Unbelievable!
And you wanted to be royalty????

bobbygedd
04-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Really? Are you sure it's working for you? Is that why you had her charge your order on her credit card?? ;)
tick tock tick tock, 20 more minutes and the late fees will be applied.... payup
are you still a man?

ToroLover
04-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Still???? never was ....I happen to know that people that knock other people, as you obvioulsy have done in this thread, are the one's that are insecure about themselves....obvioisly you need some serious :help: ....Now why are you avoiding the original question? Don't have an answer?? :dizzy:

bobbygedd
04-06-2005, 09:48 AM
the original question? ok, it's like this, sir, i know what to do, and how to do it. i estimate the job using MY methods of completeing the job. if the customer decides it should be done differently, or in the rain, or in a swamp, or by hand instead of machine, it gets charged accordingly. now, shouldn't u be waxing your beard today?

ToroLover
04-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Listen here Banchea....isn't the man comeback getting old :sleeping: ...I know you had waxing on your mind because you're going for your Brazilian butt wax today, but just answer the credit card question, and the late fees are adding up as we speak. :p

bobbygedd
04-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Listen here Banchea....isn't the man comeback getting old :sleeping: ...I know you had waxing on your mind because you're going for your Brazilian butt wax today, but just answer the credit card question, and the late fees are adding up as we speak. :p
ok, so u need to make my personal business public, fine. here it is for the world to see: i asked my friend jodi to order some custom pesticide flags for me. i offered her my mastercard number to pay with, she declined, feeling that having my credit card number would make her uncomfortable. she put them on her credit card, and i'm to send a check to her. OK MANLY LADY? are you happy now? what's the big deal? are you insinuating that i can't afford the $67 bucks to pay the bill? i'll let you in on a little secret...you know all the money your husband made, in the year 2004? i made more than that ALREADY this year.

ToroLover
04-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Just because your butt is sore from all the hair being pulled off don't get snippy with me Snoudyge......BTW, don't you mean your wife made all that money this year, how much could you have possibly made working as a "cheerleader"....gimme a "S"..... :waving:

packerbacker
04-06-2005, 07:06 PM
In my short 31 years of life there are a few things I have learned.

1) You cant BS a BSer
2) You will probably only have 2-3 TRUE friends in your lifetime.
3) A beer tastes better after work then after laying around.
4) Never pet a burning cat

and the most important (besides #4)

5) People who brag about how much they make...dont make squat.

bobbygedd
04-06-2005, 07:11 PM
in my long 40 yrs on this planet i've learned: nice guys finish last. 99.99% of everybody alive today is pure scum. don't tell me what you're making. don't tell me what you're saving. tell me how you're living.

Adamma Landscape Group
04-06-2005, 07:25 PM
There is nothing fixed in nature. You have to anticipate changes. So bid with this in mind. Being an expert in bidding comes with time.