PDA

View Full Version : Why not to overfill your engine with oil......

KathysLGC
04-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I did a complete tune up to my new used Lazer with 25hp Kohler. I was having trouble adjusting the rpm's. I downloaded the shop manual from the Kohler web site and it showed how to do it. (This carb is different then any i've worked on)
I put the rpm's from 3400 to 3600 with blades engaged. After about 10 seconds the engine would stall as if it was flooded. I rebuilt the carb so I thought perhaps I still had dirt in the carb or the gasket wasn't seated properly. Still same problem. I lowered the rpm's and the problem went away.... Now i'm thinking this engine is on it's last leg and the previous owner turned the rpm's down but nothing looked as if it was touched. I examined the adjust screw for signs that it was moved recently but it wasn't.

I'm in the J-thomas site looking at the cost of a new engine just in case when I decided to just check the oil level because I vaigly remember not double checking it. When I did the oil change I also did the hydro oil and I ran the mower to bleed the hydros then it was dinner time so I forgot.
I go today to check the oil since it's been sitting for a while and sure enough too much oil. I drained about 1/2 qt of oil to get it right where it needed to be. Now thats a lot considering this engine barely takes two qts. Problem solved. I ran it with the blades on and drove it all around my yard like a kid with a new toy. Didn't skip a beat and it starts easier too. No valve noise and the engine seems to have plenty of power. It holds the rpms pretty good too. I can engage the blades at 2000 rpm's with out a problem. I'm glad I noticed before I blew the lifters. This engine seems to have a lot of life in her yet....

Any one else do something like this? I remember overfilling a small mower before but I noticed right away when I checked the dip stick to see how much more oil i need and realized I already put too much in...

The LawnSmith
04-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Yep, overfilling the crankcase causes the oil to produce bubbles that cause friction and can seize an engine pretty quick. I picked up a good 21" SP once from a guy that said "I just tuned her up and she wont run, I think it needs rings". I took it home and noticed an oily plug, and overfull on TRANNY FLUID!!. I drained the fluid, filled it back up with castrol, a new plug, and other than a little smoke at first it ran like a top.

KathysLGC
04-06-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm just glad I caught it as soon as I did. The fill section on the dip stick is about 1 inch from top to bottom and I overfilled it about 1/4" so at first it didn't look like a lot but while draining it appeared to be about 1/2 qt too much. Now this engine runs as good as new. I need to pull the plugs to see if I fouled them out.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Same thing happens when you run oil thats too thick. Ive always been told/taught that a little low on oil is better than running too high on oil. This is because you actually get less lubrication when you have too much oil in an engine.

JOEWOOD
04-06-2005, 08:43 AM
http://www.greengiant.com/images/home/Greens.gif

I added 2 quarts of the proper oil in my Gravely Promaster 200, while riding up an incline I noticed Blue smoke blowing out of my exaust like crazy.

I immediately realized my mistake and drained the problem.
I am wondering now if this incident led to my blown cam recently. :cool2:

KathysLGC
04-06-2005, 10:26 AM
It's posible. I think with hydraulic lifters and too much oil there will be way to much oil pressure making everything want to seize up and your cam could of been forcing it's self to turn against all this. The engine also run a bit hotter with too much oil in it.
They say no lesson is free....