PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Straw has grown wheat in new lawn, need advice.

Albemarle Lawn
04-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Last fall we renovated a lawn, front yard and back yard.

This year either wheat is growing in the fescue and it is very unsightly as it jumps 2-3 times as fast and as tall as the regular grass.

I know it came in the straw, because the back yard got straw and the front did not. No wheat growth or any rogue growth in the front yard.

Will it die off as a result of regular cutting or do I need to go to herbicides, and if so which product.

Thanks
Ken

wanabe
04-05-2005, 11:23 PM
yes, it will die off in early june. Wheat is a crop that lives its life cycle and then it is done.

MMLawn
04-05-2005, 11:24 PM

MMLawn
04-05-2005, 11:24 PM
NOT you......but that is why I always laugh when I see folks covering with wheat straw, esp the cheap stuff and then wonder where all the junk in the new grass came from.

It might die out but more than likely you will have to treat it.

mowingmachine
04-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Just like what wanabe said. It will be dead by the end of June. Wheat won't come back like grass. It will be some tough mowing until you can get rid of it. It will probably do a good job of filling your deck up as well. I have mowed lawns that were seeded with oats and it is very tough to mow.

mowingmachine

big koch
04-06-2005, 01:38 AM
"It might die out but more than likely you will have to treat it." -MMLawn

Where in the world did you get that idea? Aren't you the one on here always blasting young guys and start-ups to go get their licenses and stop wasting your time with their questions? Better for them to ask questions than for you to give out advice such as this. To treat this lawn because of wheat alone would be an unnecessary and irresponsible application of chemicals. Obviously you've grown up in the city and turfgrass/ornamentals is the only experience you have with agriculture. NO, the wheat will not need treated and YES it will die eventually.

Geezer
04-06-2005, 01:58 AM
Regular mowing at 3-4 inches will take care of it. It cannot grow at that height as it's cousin fescue can.

MMLawn, what did you plan on treating the wheat with, a glyphosate product or a selective? If a selective, what product would you select ??

Planet Landscaping
04-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Correct answer, The wheat will be gone with regular cutting. Do Not spray. :waving:

grass_cuttin_fool
04-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Most of the time after the 1st cut wheat will start to die off, it isnt designed to be mowed

lawncare4u
04-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Alittle time will or should take care of it