PDA

View Full Version : Mowing Wet Grass

Hitsy
04-06-2005, 04:55 AM
What's the best way to cut wet grass, dew in the morning. I have an Exmark Lazer Z 60in.

Charles
04-06-2005, 05:14 AM
There is no good way to cut wet fescue. You just have to be prepared to rake up the clumps and/or stop often and clear the bagger shoot. There is no magic secret to it.
Other grasses are not as bad

rodfather
04-06-2005, 06:17 AM
Best way (if there is one?) is to use sharp, straight highlift blades.

lawncare4u
04-06-2005, 06:25 AM
This post seems to be a EVERYDAY TOPIC,not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything,but why not let it dry out before cutting?Because,the time you spend rakeing or uncloging the chute line ,relax let it dry....should take the same amount of time! :cool:

rodfather
04-06-2005, 06:27 AM
This post seems to be a EVERYDAY TOPIC,not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything,but why not let it dry out before cutting?Because,the time you spend rakeing or uncloging the chute line ,relax let it dry....should take the same amount of time! :cool:

Simply because we don't have that luxury to wait until 12 noon each day to begin mowing.

Charles
04-06-2005, 06:29 AM
I don't think tall fescue ever dries out lol. I haven't had much luck with high lift blades on it either. High lift blades do cut down on the clumping areas though. Sometimes it just throws them farther. I have gotten so I turn down tall fescue yards. Not that many in the south anyway. YOu just about have to cut it 2 times a week when it rains alot

rodfather
04-06-2005, 06:35 AM
There is no good way to cut wet fescue.

I agree with ya there Charles.

John Gamba
04-06-2005, 06:49 AM
What's the best way to cut wet grass, dew in the morning. I have an Exmark Lazer Z 60in.

Call roy at Meg-mo.com I have had good luck with his blades in wet.

John

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-06-2005, 07:26 AM

Yeah when yards dont dry out till noon, it makes it hard to cut them. Your too busy to start at noon everyday, but you dont want to spend forever at wet yards. I have had fairly good luck with running gator mulchers and with an open discharge. Worst case is I would have to double cut to break up the clumps, which is still faster than raking or blowing the yard and more productive than starting late. There really is no perfect way to cut wet grass, because clumping is going to happen. This just works best for me.

lsylvain
04-06-2005, 12:19 PM
I actually think I had better results on wet grass with cheapo thin no lift blades from lowes. They didn't seem to pack the wet grass up unto big clumps like gators and high lifts. I think the high lifts throw the wet grass to high so it catches the top of the deck and builds up, then dumps a big grass turd.

Another theory I just thought of, is maybe if you cut back your RPM's the clippings would not get as stuck together.

Maybe one of the manufacturers will design a deck made to cut wet grass? Hint hint..

Botom line, either wait to mow or pick up grass turds.

ndunn
04-06-2005, 12:40 PM
drag a hose across the grass to knock the water off the blades, sit in truck for twenty minutes with a thermos of coffee and wipe the crust out of my eyes, then mow mow mow. seems to work for light morning dew. Not so much for three days of soaking Northwest rain though.

LawnMower
04-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Cut very slow and at the end of each run shut the blades off and let the grass fall off the under side of the deck. After your done with the yard, raze the deck up 2 notches and go over it again. Then blow the remaining clumps around till there gone.

KCLandscape
04-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Hmm.........
I always double cut, same or alternate pattern
I keep the height high, like the high lift blabes and the 25 HP pushing it out.