PDA

View Full Version : I Want My Grass Cut On Friiiday!!!!

jasonnau
04-06-2005, 08:58 AM
You know, this is just my peve, but I'm really getting sick of the cutomers who have to have there grass cut on Friday. Everyone wants their grass cut on Friday. The other day a customer called to say the yard looked great, but wanted to know if a monday cut was going to be the norm. I told him that in the spring, I get it when I can. Also, I don't gurarantee any day of the week. I usually mow your neighborhood towards the end of the week I say. He replys, if It can't be mowed on friday, we'll have to come up with some other arrangements........ Hmm, like a new lco to mow your f'in grass. I go out of the way for my customers all of the time. I can understand wanting your lawn to look good for the weekend, but, how in the world can a person mow all of his accounts on Friday!!!! Do you call the roofers and say, ya know, I want my roof done on friday. No!!!! I can't be running all over town breaking up my route for friday cuts.
Any advice?

TURF DOCTOR
04-06-2005, 09:08 AM
That's a good 1 we get that all the time,and they all want something a little extra it was got so competitive and cut throat.

Roger
04-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I've been in this business for eight seasons, and I had a couple of requests during last season, "Can you change the day you mow?" Never before that time had I got such a request. Now, this season, I've had several requests, and I'm having a hard time accomodating everybody. My requests have been a bit more forgiving, "...Thursday or Friday."

I saw posts on LS in the past, charing premium for these two days. I never thought anything about it because it was never an issue, ... until now. I am accomodating all but two, but it means returning to those neighborhoods twice during the week. Over the years, I've been able to consolidate customers, saving drive time. I work solo, average mowing size is 25K sq ft, 37 customers. I don't have any slack time, maxed out to 60-70 hours, over six days.

I've already committed prices for this season, but may want to reconsider next year. For those charging premiums for certain days, how do you deal with side-by-side customers, one of which is willing to pay, the other, not?

65hoss
04-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Say NO!! No way you can do that.
1. Rains on Thurs and Friday, you are screwed. Then they don't want it done on monday, so they expect you to wait another week until friday.
2. I tell people I guarentee nothing on fridays. No way to predict and you could have been rained out the first of the week.
3. Its your route and schedule. You start changing it will cost you more money. Expenses go up, so does their price.

In short, just say no. If they walk...so what. Good riddance. If you don't control your business, it will control you.

coastallandscapesolutions
04-06-2005, 09:25 AM
When I sign new customers I always put in writing what their scheduled date is going to be and that if a special occasion comes up they can request a different date with a 7 day advance notice. It has worked well for that last 10 years.

CamLand
04-06-2005, 09:28 AM
I've been lucky and only had that happen once.I told the guy best I can do is Thursday that thats the only day I'm in the area.He has been with me now for 5 years..Still on Thursdays

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Ive lost numerous potential accounts because of this kind of thing. The only time I bend is when one of my customers says to me that they would like their grass cut closer to the weekend. I tell them I will probably be there on a xday or yday, but if my schedule permits I will try to fit you in as close to the weekend as I can. This actually works out great. If I get a little behind, I just skip over that customer and it helps me get back on track. Then I go and cut the skipped customer when I finish all my other accounts. Works out for both of us.

GrassBustersLawn
04-06-2005, 09:33 AM
First I tell them...with gas prices the way they are, I have to do ALL the houses in one area at the SAME TIME/SAME DAY. HOWEVER, if you want a Thursday mow it will cost $10 extra...a FRIDAY mow is $15 extra. That puts it back to them, PUT UP THE EXTRA MONEY OR SHUT UP!!!

Mike

greenwithenvylandscape
04-06-2005, 09:56 AM
My Thurs and Fri have been booked for years and I tell new people it may take a couple of seasons to get them to Thurs or Fri.

Gene $immons
04-06-2005, 10:07 AM
I've lost accounts over this too. If I can do it on a Friday, I will. If it is out of the way, I explain that to them.

I also like "can you mow every 10 days?' Yea right...

MowerMoney
04-06-2005, 10:14 AM
I've got one customer that I cut on Thursdays last year. She's an elderly lady who has overnight visitors about once per year. This year she asked to have Friday cuts so the lawn is nice for her company. Or early saturday morning if not Friday. Good grief! Does it really grow that much from a Thursday cut to the weekend?

PTP
04-06-2005, 10:53 AM
I have only 1 customer that I cater to in regards to this and that is myself. If you happen to live in the same area as I do, then you can have the Friday mowing as well.

Everyone else will have their lawn mowed when I schedule it. :D

JFGLN
04-06-2005, 11:51 AM
We have a route for each day of the week. The higher end lawns get mowed Thursday or Friday. If somone wants lawn service that is not on that days route, we charge an extra 30%.

kalyeah
04-06-2005, 11:55 AM
I just picked up a new customer who is an elderly lady. First thing she said was I'm going to need you to bag it. I said no ma'am I don't bag. She said the last guy did, and I said not for this price I'm not. So she finally gave in on that. Next thing I know she was saying I'm gonna need you here on fridays. Talked her into Thursdays. That's when I'm in her part of town. Have a feeling it's going to be a long year with her.

pjslawncare/landscap
04-06-2005, 12:04 PM
We have two customers that want it done at the end of the week. Lucky its only 2, but we accomidate them into our schedule, however over 50% of our business are subdivision roadfronts & commons ao we do all those mon - wed. Works for us

ps one of those two just landed a $635 per month over 6 mo bushhogging deal with her home owners assn. Its 18 - 1/2 acre lots, but we have to trim everything (which we almost always do anyway). The other is a CEO of a large manufacturing plant we do full maintenance

ECS
04-06-2005, 12:43 PM
My Fridays are left open for other work. If it rains, I can put my lawns back a day and do them on Friday. My other jobs are easy to catch up on, so not a big deal for me. If it doesn't rain, they don't get a Friday cut and if I can get my other things done early, I am done for the weekend.

richmadmax
04-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Just tell them yes you will be their on fridays. Show up on wed and when they say something tell them it friday. If they are old , who knows maybe they won't know. :blob3: :blob3:

DennisF
04-06-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm with 65 Hoss on this one.

I don't grant request's for mowing on Friday. If a customer asks for Friday, I tell them that I'm usually mowing on the other side of the county on that day.

I've lost accounts over that kind of non-sense and it's no big deal. If they can get an LCO to guarantee a Friday cut...so be it. I'm not going to change the way I run my business just to please 1 or 2 over-demanding customers. Those kind of people are not worth the time to try and accommodate and you usually wind up losing money on them. Like 65 Hoss said...just say no.

richmadmax
04-06-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm with 65 Hoss on this one.

I don't grant request's for mowing on Friday. If a customer asks for Friday, I tell them that I'm usually mowing on the other side of the county on that day.

I've lost accounts over that kind of non-sense and it's no big deal. If they can get an LCO to guarantee a Friday cut...so be it. I'm not going to change the way I run my business just to please 1 or 2 over-demanding customers. Those kind of people are not worth the time to try and accommodate and you usually wind up losing money on them. Like 65 Hoss said...just say no.

I totally agree to you two. The customer is not run your business. They don't go to other places like building a porch and say you need to start and stop on this day.

brucec32
04-06-2005, 05:06 PM
When I sign new customers I always put in writing what their scheduled date is going to be and that if a special occasion comes up they can request a different date with a 7 day advance notice. It has worked well for that last 10 years.

So....it never rains there? You never have equipment breakdowns or other delays? And don't even get me started on situations involving employees! You are either doing it part time and can work around this, or are just willing to work every weekend making up for delays. I prefer having a life.

I just dumped, in spectacular fashion, a customer who wanted one property done on Monday (office) and their other done on Friday (residence). I told off one of their bossy employees in grand fashion and it felt great to see the look on her face. Like no working man had ever dared speak to them that way! (btw, what is it about our line of work that makes every person who works in the building feel they are your boss?)

I had been jumping through hoops trying to work my schedule around their whims, and stopped to ask myself...why? So freaking what if the grass is 1" longer on Saturday than if it'd been done on Tuesday? I cut my own lawn on Mondays.

They're all real picky and have very high standards about what they want, until you try to charge them extra for the extra hassle it causes you. Then they either learn to live with it your way, or they go off and try to find some sucker who will work as their slave. The same 10% of people will constantly churn lawn companies, never figuring out that they are the problem. I avoid them like the plague, and I was insane to have dropped my "no persnickity people" policy. They are impossible to please unless you mow it for free.

jpmako
04-06-2005, 06:07 PM
No No No :nono:

I don't' cut on Fridays. I have already had two requests for Friday mowing this year and I put it very bluntly to the clients. And on top of this they already signed contracts with me that say "Time and Date of service to be determined by the contractor" (that's me right???)

Well I just tell them that I ONLY cut on Mon, Tue, Wed and that Thurs, Fri are reserved for bigger jobs. If they ask why I say that is company policy and it has not changed in over a decade. And it's not gonna change today.
Sure I will cut your lawn on Friday. I will reschedule my work that I had planned on doing Friday to come cut your grass instead, the only request that I have is that you pay my lost wages for the day. which should be somewhere between $2000.00 and $6000.00 depending... :p

Jason

rodfather
04-06-2005, 06:39 PM

Same for me too...going on 11.

SCAG POWER
04-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Last season i put each client on the board as too when they would be cut. Once this season started back up those customers that came back first had there choice of going back to their day as last year, which most did.

Friday now is reserved for the north part of my area as i now have 4 houses on the same street and same subdivision going at this time, 3 more coming on this month.The only way you can get Friday is to be in this subdivision that i mow in or be on the route that leads to it , but you will go after the subdivision goes.

As far as every other week, NOPE, just droped a client that wanted that you go all season long based on 42 cuts, not half the season can't pick your day either.You want mowed every other week DO IT YOUR SELF. payup

coastallandscapesolutions
04-06-2005, 09:45 PM
So....it never rains there? You never have equipment breakdowns or other delays? And don't even get me started on situations involving employees! You are either doing it part time and can work around this, or are just willing to work every weekend making up for delays. I prefer having a life.

Before I sold off part of the company in December I did not work weekends for make up days. That is why I paid 3 managers (on rotation) and 9 Foreman. They got the weekend detail if needed. And that was on a rare occasion.

The only real problem comes when we have a hurricane. Tends to mess things up as you know. Most of the rain only causes a one day delay and we are also water proof here. I have some great pictures of rooster tails coming off the rear tires on a Dixie Chopper.

traman
04-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Fridays is reserved for my neighborhood ,after servicing all other parts of the county ,it great to be close to home ,open trailer and just start working ,no drive time,work at a slower pace, and relax a little ,after all isn't my neighborhood supposed to look the best !!

LawnMower
04-06-2005, 11:38 PM
In the high growth season, grass looks better on the weekend if it was cut 2 or 3 days before. When you first cut it in the high grouth season it looks like you took to much off. By the weekend its back to looking good and green.

jasonnau
04-07-2005, 12:42 AM
It's hard to say no sometimes, I'm not to fond of loosing customers at this point. I just started up last season, this season I have 36 customers so far. All residential. My problem is that I like to mow monday tuesday and wednesday, leaving the rest of the week including saturday if needed for landscaping, mulching, ect. There's always a list of things I need to do other than mowing. When I mow Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, a rain day assures I'm working the weekend, and It prevents me from using saturday as an extra day for large landscaping projects. So then I have to split up the misc. work into Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday, instead of Thursday Friday and Saturday.
I guess I'll keep this cutomer until the summer when he finally realizes I'm not going to cut his grass on Friday, and hires a different lco.

dkeisala
04-07-2005, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't let customers pick the day of week, it's just too difficult (and expensive) to schedule. Our routes are our routes and if the day of the week we are in your area doesn't work for you then continue letting your fingers do the walking.

I run my business, not my customer.

dkeisala
04-07-2005, 01:29 AM
It's hard to say no sometimes, I'm not to fond of loosing customers at this point. I just started up last season, this season I have 36 customers so far. All residential. My problem is that I like to mow monday tuesday and wednesday, leaving the rest of the week including saturday if needed for landscaping, mulching, ect. There's always a list of things I need to do other than mowing. When I mow Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, a rain day assures I'm working the weekend, and It prevents me from using saturday as an extra day for large landscaping projects. So then I have to split up the misc. work into Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday, instead of Thursday Friday and Saturday.
I guess I'll keep this cutomer until the summer when he finally realizes I'm not going to cut his grass on Friday, and hires a different lco.

What you like may not necessarily be what is best for your business. Why not mow during the later part of the week (when it's easier to appease your customers since it's closer to the weekend) and and do your side jobs during the first part of the week? You have more flexibility on your schedule and you can still reserve Saturdays for side jobs or catch-up days. Your not doing anymore work and your clients just might be more content.

Frontier-Lawn
04-07-2005, 01:49 AM
i mow mon-wed (my normal days for cutting) Thur/friday i get caught up if needed. if the want a thursady cut-$15 extra per, friday-$25 extra per.

brucec32
04-10-2005, 12:45 PM
What you like may not necessarily be what is best for your business. Why not mow during the later part of the week (when it's easier to appease your customers since it's closer to the weekend) and and do your side jobs during the first part of the week? You have more flexibility on your schedule and you can still reserve Saturdays for side jobs or catch-up days. Your not doing anymore work and your clients just might be more content.

Mowing late in the week means that weather, mechanical, staff, or other delays put you into the weekend or worse, you miss cutting it that week. That's a no-no with most customers. I have found having at least one "makeup day" available keeps them happier. Install jobs, shrubs, mulching, that can all wait if it has to. Mowing can't usually.