PDA

View Full Version : BIG yards vs. little yards

Tom-N-Texas
04-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Is it just me, or are small lawns more profitable than larger ones?....I'm almost to the point to where I don't want any more large ones....unless they're large enough for a riding mower.

My crew and I (4 guys) can knock out 5-6 small yards in the same neighborhood in an hour. That's $125-150 per hour. (When I say small I mean less than 1/4 of an acre)

However if you start doubling or tripling the size of the lawn, that doesn't necessarily mean that the homeowner can afford double or triple the PRICE. So over the years, I've had to take a hit on these large lawns if I want the business.

Not to mention, larger lawns take more out of your equipment, gas and wear and tear on your body.

Of course if the lawn is large enough that you can stick a riding mower on it (3/4 acre or larger)....then that's a different story.

daveintoledo
04-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I can easily make well over 1.00 a minute on small lawns..... much more profitable for me as well

eshreve1234
04-06-2005, 09:54 AM
All I do are large lawns, smallest is 1 acre this season. With the right equipment they are fine, also you can make more money by up selling your other services on a larger scale.

Mower For Less
04-06-2005, 09:56 AM
The very small ones, about 5000 - 8000 sq ft are my MOST profitable of all. It is even better when there are a few of them all next to each other with no drive time. Thats the gravy of the day. With no travel time I can knock out 4-5 of these size yards in 1 hour with a 2 man crew, with one 36" mower.

Kevin

Trevors Lawn Care
04-06-2005, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=Tom-N-Texas]Is it just me, or are small lawns more profitable than larger ones?....I'm almost to the point to where I don't want any more large ones....unless they're large enough for a riding mower.

My crew and I (4 guys) can knock out 5-6 small yards in the same neighborhood in an hour. That's $125-150 per hour. (When I say small I mean less than 1/4 of an acre)

However if you start doubling or tripling the size of the lawn, that doesn't necessarily mean that the homeowner can afford double or triple the PRICE. So over the years, I've had to take a hit on these large lawns if I want the business.

Not to mention, larger lawns take more out of your equipment, gas and wear and tear on your body.

If you are only able to knock out 5-6 small lawns in 1 hour with 4 guys....They arnt working very fast.

For me, small properties are the most profitable, however, i only have a 48"Z.
For a guy packing a 72", and a 52", larger lawns are going to be more profitable. It all depends on what size mowers you are using.

KathysLGC
04-06-2005, 10:13 AM
I prefer small lawns 5000-15000k
The arce + lawns kill me in time with all the cut throats here.

marko
04-06-2005, 10:21 AM
I dont think anything can beat the tiny yards. As you add people to your crew (in your case a total of 4) I do not think as efficient as (2) 2 man crews. If you have the resources, try (2) 2 man crews and I bet you could knock out an extra lawn in the same time. I will take the small ones over the big ones any day!

Tom-N-Texas
04-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Trevor....

I only use 21" mowers on smallish lawns. I've had too many complaints in the past about using my walk-behinds. To tell you the truth, I don't think the large mowers cut nearly as nicely as the 21" inchers.

I could probably save some time with a bigger mower, but to me it's not worth it. By the way, I have the fastest, best employees ever. We regularly knock out 40-45 1/4 lawns per day. My record is 50.

ECS
04-06-2005, 11:48 AM
I only target the big lawns. When I get those, I usually end up with their plowing in the winter and hopefully their caretaking in the winter and indoor odd jobs in the winter. That isn't going to happen for me with the smaller properties, no way. Although their are a couple of big properties with tiny lawns that I am after for the same reason I stated.

Tvov
04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Lot's of variables. In one neighborhood, we've got 5 bigger (about 25,000sqft) lawns. The two man crew pulls up, one guy takes the ZTR, the other the 36" and trims. The truck only has to be moved once (it doesn't have to be, but works out best that way), the ZTR simply drives to each lawn. In this case, it is definitely worth it. If these lawns were all separate, you don't make as much money.

But... usually, in order to get a bunch of these lawns altogether, you have to start mowing only one, then get the neighbors. You have to start somewhere!

coonman
04-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Trevor....

I only use 21" mowers on smallish lawns. I've had too many complaints in the past about using my walk-behinds. To tell you the truth, I don't think the large mowers cut nearly as nicely as the 21" inchers.

I could probably save some time with a bigger mower, but to me it's not worth it. By the way, I have the fastest, best employees ever. We regularly knock out 40-45 1/4 lawns per day. My record is 50.

How big is this crew that knocks out 45 1/4 acre lawns in one day? That is 1 lawn every 10-13 minutes with no breaks and no drive time. We only use 21's as well. We are a two man crew, if we pulled up to a 1/4 acre lawn and both grab a 21 and mow as fast as we can and then sprint back to the truck. Grab a trimmer and or edger and practically run as we are trimming and then sprint back to the truck and strap the blower on and clean off all pavement, there is no possible way we could finish a 1/4 acre property in 10 minutes. We have found the the smaller the lawn the more money we make per hour. Even on the smallest postage stamp lawns, the customer expects to pay a 20 dollar bill or so. But if you triple the size of that lawn which may make it 3000 sq ft, you would never be able to get $60 for a lawn that size.

rodfather
04-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Small lawns have always been more profitable since Day 1...the larger the prop, the less you get per acre. Period

lawnandplow42
04-06-2005, 06:37 PM
I think bigger lawns are better because you are at the job longer (less truck time for employees), and typically making more money. Also since the truck is parked, theres less stop and go driving, and therefore less gas being used.

The fall and spring cleanups at a bigger lawn would be more profitable since you would be working more hours.

Flex-Deck
04-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Trevor....

That is 10 acres a day with a 21" pusher? "I am assumeing you mean 40-45 1/4 acre lawns per day. Either you have a large crew, or they can run really fast.,

Adamma Landscape Group
04-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Small yards are the best and the most profitable. You can knock it off quickly and go. The contour on large lawns usually do not remain the same and you normally spend more time.

Jpocket
04-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Small lawns are much more profitable, big lawns are just a prestige thing around here just because people have a bigger lot doesn't mean they can pay $75 vs. $30

Tom-N-Texas
04-06-2005, 11:23 PM
That is 10 acres a day with a 21" pusher? "I am assumeing you mean 40-45 1/4 acre lawns per day. Either you have a large crew, or they can run really fast.,
----------------------------------------------------------------

It may seem unbelievable but its absolutlely true. I use 3 guys + me. One trimmer, two 21" mowers, and me on blower. On any one given day I do not leave a 2-mile radius. Oftentimes I have 5 or 6 lawns on a street. I have 18 lawns in one particular neighborhood.....and I make a small killing on that day.

Also, we regularly put in 10-11 hour days. My goal each day in the summer is to gross $1,000. I usually come up a bit short, but it does happen sometimes.

CELS
04-06-2005, 11:32 PM
The smallest I have contracted this year is 4.4 acres weekly (plus 10 acres of bush hogging monthly). There is no money for me to make behind the wheel of my truck. I only service factories at this point, and thus far I've been compensated quite well. :)