PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

MowerMoney
04-06-2005, 09:30 AM
This past January a guy calls me and says he knows me from 25 years ago (although I don't remember him) and says that he heard I was in the lawn cutting business. He is also wanting to start this and wants to know how business is going. If it's worthwhile or not.

Thinking that since he lives 10 miles away in another town that he won't be in my area, I tell him some of my strategies that work for me. He also says that if he knows of a property that I'm doing, he won't pursue it. (You know where this is going, don't you)

Anyways, I had a contract last year for 13 group homes for a local care giving company, and guess what? Right, he is bidding against me. He even called me to tell me this. Then he has the nerve to suggest that if he wins it, do I want to do half of them BUT if I win it, will I give him half. Two problems here. IF I win it, no way will I give away what I already had last year. And if he wins it, why would I want to do them for the lower price that he obviously bid. (I know what it actually takes to do them, he is only guessing and too low at that).

This contract also calls for fertilizing 2 times per year. I know that he is not licenced (required in Ontario) for that and will be doing it himself.
What would you do?

ECS
04-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Tell him to take a flippin hike. I would personally contact the HMO or the 13 to seek out their patronage.

lsylvain
04-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Shoot if you get the place sub it out to him for half the price, do the fert yourself and make some free money.

twins_lawn_care
04-06-2005, 12:46 PM
you could contact the organization, and make sure to have them check for his license for fertilizing. depends how you want to handle it.
you could talk to them before they make a decision if you think you may not get it, or wait until their decision, and then talk to them.
I guess it depends on how you think it will go.

sounds like this guy really isn't being fair to you, and so think about yourself and your business first.

marko
04-06-2005, 01:02 PM
MowerMoney,
Gonna have to protect yourself on this one! Make sure he knows that you will protect your livelihood and report to the HOA that he is not licensed to use fert/chemicals, and to check (like twins said). They should also check his liability insurance.
Next time he calls, tell him you are swamped from flyering cars in mall or grocery store parking lots (even tell him what was on "yours"). That should keep him busy and out of your hair, at least for a while.

tonygreek
04-06-2005, 01:25 PM
when you submit bids, add your various certification docs and a copy of your cert of insurance. put a cover sheet on it that says something along the line of "In order to facilitate your bid review process, I have attached the following:" and then next to the line item for your application cert, put "A legal requirement for any company, per Gov't of Ontario" or some such.

and then start dialing the phone for every violation on this guy you can think of...

prizeprop
04-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Maybe he will sub out the applications. Is it illegal to secure a bid for applying chemicals or illegal to actually apply them yourself without a lic.?I know alot of lco's who sub out there chemical apps because they don't want to deal with the bologne of all the regs.& lic. I could care less what everyone else does. Not directed at anyone, lets put all the scrub this ,no lic that, billy stole my customer crap to bed already.I'll do this business until it doesn't work anymore ,then I'll move on. No one owes me anything in life.Sorry just venting, the dog crapped on the rug and I'm pissed!

lawnrangeralaska
04-06-2005, 05:33 PM
you should just find out where he lives an go have a chat with him.. maybe come back at night and drain his oil out of hios truck... :cool:

lawnandplow42
04-06-2005, 06:45 PM
you should just find out where he lives an go have a chat with him.. maybe come back at night and drain his oil out of hios truck... :cool:

I'd actually do that.

Sounds like a PITA kinda guy. I'd get things straight with him before he starts asking even more stupid questions.
Tell him to shove a running trimmer up his ***, and not to bother you anymore.

Jpocket
04-06-2005, 08:08 PM
I would'nt have told him that much man really. Unless you guys are on different levels

Precision
04-06-2005, 08:37 PM

Making friends and influencing people I see.

Some of us are a bit more professional than that.

Let us know (from the big house) when you get caught doing something smart like that.

crawdad
04-07-2005, 07:37 AM
MowerMoney,
Next time he calls, tell him you are swamped from flyering cars in mall or grocery store parking lots (even tell him what was on "yours"). That should keep him busy and out of your hair, at least for a while.

I like that. Tell him to put fliers in mailboxes, too. (Unless it's legal up there in Canada, I remember reading that they have different regs up there on this matter.)

MowerMoney
04-07-2005, 08:58 AM
I would'nt have told him that much man really. Unless you guys are on different levels
What was I thinking? Anyways, he probably won't last long at the prices he bids. This winter he was "blowing" their 25 car parking lot for $45 (2.5 hrs time). He also told me that he had a whole 500 fliers printed for lawn care this year. He "knocks" on every door to try to talk to the homeowners and if not home, then leaves a flier. Might increase his odds on the 500 fliers but I know I don't have the time to knock on every door. So far I've put out 3400 admail fliers plus 1500 doorhangers resulting in 20 aerations, 6 clean-ups and 7 yearly lawn cuts. Also have a good chance on one private residential for $4400.00 per year (my biggest so far if I get it). If I don't get the bid for the 13 group homes, at least I've made it back up with other new accounts.
Things are looking up this year.