PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Line Test

Markf
04-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Gentlemen,
I did a search but could not find the thread. There was a member who was performing a recent trimmer line test from all different manufacturers and retailers (Wal-Mart) included. Does anyone know the outcome or where the thread can be found.
Thanks.
Mark

MMLawn
04-06-2005, 10:13 AM
That was me. I was testing the Wal-Mart line against the Echo Crossfire line that I have always used. So far we have gone though 6 trimmer spools of the Wal-Mart line and so far I gotta say other than maybe not lasting quite as long on concrete as the Echo Crossfire did that it is every bit as good. So I figure that because the same 5 Pound roll of line in Crossfire cost me $37 dollars and the 5# Wal-Mart was $13 that is a more than fair trade off. The only down side that I see at all and it really isn't a big one is that the .095 Wal-mart line appears to be just a tad smaller around than the .095 Echo, not much at all but maybe a tad but that has not effected performance. We still of course have a lot of line left on that 5# Wal-Mart roll so it "could" change but at this point for the performance and the savings I think that maybe it's what we'll buy in the future.

wrestlingcoach
04-06-2005, 10:28 AM
been using wal-mart .095 line for 3 years

butt load cheaper than the other places

Markf
04-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys. Next spool we will try the Wal-Mart.

lsylvain
04-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Really I don't think there is any difference in trimmer line no matter what snazzy name you put on it. Honestly, it is string how different could it be? Only one thing, size does matter, but it's a personal preference. I always got my string at the co-op, only because it was on my way to the majority of my jobs and it was cheap.

I always carried different sizes in the truck and would test them out. What I found was that in the grand scheme of things there really wasn't much difference in the end results. If I used really thin string I could trim a lot faster, but you had to stop more often to refill the opposite with thicker string. Some different styles of line had feeding problems, like square line.

I did notice though that the thinner string gave a cleaner look on the un mowable areas like hills and soft spots, but on regular trimming you couldn't tell.

aclassic
04-07-2005, 12:48 AM
i think wal-mart sells the "pulverizer" string in a .105 too, so if you think the .095 is too skinny, that'd be the way to go. i dont know if they sell it on a 5# spool though.

Oldtimer
04-07-2005, 01:07 AM
The durability of trimmer line can be increased by soaking it in water for a week prior to use.

kwelch
04-07-2005, 09:57 AM
The durability of trimmer line can be increased by soaking it in water for a week prior to use.

Are you serious?

lsylvain
04-07-2005, 11:17 AM
I've heard that as well. Old Wive's tale?? never tried it myself, but my trimmer line always sat out in the rain on the trailer.

aclassic
04-07-2005, 02:10 PM
i've heard ithelps a little, but i dont think its worth the trouble, just buy good string to begin with, the time it takes for you to fool w/ soaking the thing probably isnt worth the money saved on string

spoolinaround
04-07-2005, 11:32 PM
i've heard ithelps a little, but i dont think its worth the trouble, just buy good string to begin with, the time it takes for you to fool w/ soaking the thing probably isnt worth the money saved on string
I had a 3# roll cryogenically treated in a nitrogen bath and I have been using that for the last 3 years, normally I go through a 3# spool every year

aclassic
04-07-2005, 11:59 PM
i've never heard of that, in fact i'm not really sure whether to believe it or not. cold plastics become more rigid and fragile, i dont quite see how that would help. spoolinaround, let me know how you did that, i could see if my chem prof would try that, or i'll just ask him about if it'd work. we just got through our polymer section in class, i'm sure he'd be able to enlighten me of if this really works.

mowerman111
04-08-2005, 12:00 AM
We carry our line in a 5 gal. bucket filled about halfway full of water all of the time, it does make it last a lot longer. of course we only use Echo .95 line i've tried all kinds of brands nothing even comes close to Echo brand.

midwest
04-08-2005, 01:01 AM
You guys support Wally world. What a joke.

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 01:09 AM
I've tried the Weedeater brand from Walmart and have been very satisfied. Much cheaper than the big name brands.

spoolinaround
04-08-2005, 01:19 AM
sorry john doe, but with everything costing so damn much money you have to go where you can get things cheaper, I am sorry but I am not and will not pay $45 for a 5# spool of line when I can get it for $15

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 01:20 AM
I suggest you justify this statement. Are you saying that you never step foot in walmart?

midwest
04-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Yes! thanks John doe

dkeisala
04-08-2005, 02:00 AM
That was me. I was testing the Wal-Mart line against the Echo Crossfire line that I have always used. So far we have gone though 6 trimmer spools of the Wal-Mart line and so far I gotta say other than maybe not lasting quite as long on concrete as the Echo Crossfire did that it is every bit as good. So I figure that because the same 5 Pound roll of line in Crossfire cost me $37 dollars and the 5# Wal-Mart was $13 that is a more than fair trade off. The only down side that I see at all and it really isn't a big one is that the .095 Wal-mart line appears to be just a tad smaller around than the .095 Echo, not much at all but maybe a tad but that has not effected performance. We still of course have a lot of line left on that 5# Wal-Mart roll so it "could" change but at this point for the performance and the savings I think that maybe it's what we'll buy in the future.

People whine about TruGreen but shop at Wal-Mart. They talk about how they hate to be undercut on price per mow but then throw their money at the very company that prides themselves on putting small business out of business. They complain about how illegal immigrants drag down wages and are bad for the LCO's but then do business with an empire that has encouraged the use (explotation) of illegal immigrants for their own benefit.

Keep shopping at Wal-Mart but hope they never decide to enter the lawn care industry.

hp8125
04-08-2005, 02:01 AM
:laugh: well put

jt5019
04-08-2005, 02:11 AM
I dont have a problem with walmart i actually plan on going there tomorrow for oil and to price some grass seed

nelbuts
04-08-2005, 04:31 AM
I buy my Christmas lights from Wal Mart and that is it. I do not go into the store unless every other store does not have what I need. The same is true for Home Depot. We are very fortunate to have several excellent hometown hardware stores. I do my business with them. I believe in keeping as much money in town as possible. I did not have a problem with Wal Mart when Sam Walton was alive. He tried to help American companies. That is not the case anymore. Just Google Wal Mart and you may decide to buy your trimmer line where you buy your equipment.

Which is a very interesting question. Why not buy from your local dealer? They have to eat and pay their bills too. If you were loyal in your small purchases then I am sure they would be loyal to you.

I read on this site all the time, "Look at my new toy," "Look at my new truck". And the replies go like "wow man only $40K for that, great deal!" Give me a break we all buy fancy stuff we don't need but yet take the food from the mouths of our local dealers for a few bucks. Makes no sense to me.

But these are just my thoughts.

PMLAWN
04-08-2005, 04:39 AM
People whine about TruGreen but shop at Wal-Mart. They talk about how they hate to be undercut on price per mow but then throw their money at the very company that prides themselves on putting small business out of business. They complain about how illegal immigrants drag down wages and are bad for the LCO's but then do business with an empire that has encouraged the use (explotation) of illegal immigrants for their own benefit.

Keep shopping at Wal-Mart but hope they never decide to enter the lawn care industry.

BINGO!!!!!

YardPro
04-08-2005, 07:21 AM
sorry john doe, but with everything costing so damn much money you have to go where you can get things cheaper, I am sorry but I am not and will not pay $45 for a 5# spool of line when I can get it for $15

but people ***** when a customer ditches them for someone else that is cheaper......

same mentality

Oldtimer
04-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Wal-Mart owns the largest warehouse complex in China. The first 2 Airbus 380s off the line will be freighters for Fedex. They are to be used on the Asia route bringing more than 300 tons to the US each flight. These planes are equipped with crew quarters to allow longer flights and since they have 4 engines they don't have the geographic restrictions of twin engine aircraft. Fedex has committed to purchase 10 of these foreign built aircraft with an option for 10 more.

It appears China and Wal-Mart are not really very interested in supporting the USA. They fly merchandise to the USA and fly the money back to China. We will have the opportunity to purchase Chinese built automobiles soon. Will Wally World be selling autos and sending the customers to the auto dealers with service departments. This could happen, just buy anything that needs service from Wal-Mart and let the search begin.

I don't support any company that has tried to put me out of business

Just my personal opinions I am sharing.

Oldtimer
www.sevillelawn.com

aclassic
04-08-2005, 07:47 AM
thought this was about trimmer string, way to go hijacking the thread fellas, start your wal-mart bashing thread somewhere else

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 12:02 PM

I see your point.

PMLAWN
04-08-2005, 05:06 PM
thought this was about trimmer string, way to go hijacking the thread fellas, start your wal-mart bashing thread somewhere else

Walmart was brought up in the opening and the next post as the place to buy cheap stuff. I don't see the hijack.

lawnrangeralaska
04-08-2005, 05:47 PM
i use the shakespear .095 pulverizer from wal mart. this line is far better and last longer then anything else i have tried. stihl an echo line. shakespear also have a few new lines it has developed but i have only seen it in turf mag an pro mags. why pay 45 when you get it for 15 thats right. its the same with anything else you buy you are going to shop around for the cheapest price. thats smart.. who cares about the locals my moneys more important than theres.

grass_cuttin_fool
04-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I dont want to start a fight and Im not a walmart supporter. WE are buisness people and file long form, so even if the line cost $45.00 we can deduct it off our taxes, depending on the size of your company, paying more for line may help you on taxes in the long run. Am i correct here or am I missing something?

nelbuts
04-08-2005, 07:20 PM
So what ya going to tell me now? I know you buy your weedeaters at K-Mart or Sears? I know that Murray was just such a great deal. You could buy 8 of them for the price of one Scag.

Wal Mart is know for cheap prices, poor employee treatment, illegal immigrant workers, and going after every mom and pop operation in little towns across the U.S. And you want to give them your money?

NOT ME! I do not support nor agree with that type of business.

GREEN ACRES L&L
04-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Trimmer line? This post is to discuss trimmer line that most of use buy once a year?. I

br549oicu8
04-20-2005, 01:31 PM
I like the Suffix braided line. It is a bit more expensive but it cuts clean and is very quiet.

wrestlingcoach
04-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Let's Ask "just Mow It"

I Bet His Answer Would Be Good!

PMLAWN
04-21-2005, 09:06 AM
A relationship with a dealer can make or break your day. When I need him I really need him! So with that in mind I will try to support him with all my equipment comming from him.

Ark-Lawn
04-21-2005, 11:30 PM
The line I got from SEARS for my Craftsman trimmer had a sponge in it to soak with water to keep the humidity up in the tube.....said that it keeps the plastic more plyable...therefore lasting longer.....but against concrete...who can tell the dif....

Popsicle
04-21-2005, 11:54 PM
A relationship with a dealer can make or break your day. When I need him I really need him! So with that in mind I will try to support him with all my equipment comming from him.

I snapped the pull rope out of my BR 420 yesterday and because of my support, my Stihl dealer dropped everything and had me out in minutes. He is in business for the same reason we are, to support ourselves/our families. We all need one another .

Sunset Lawn Care 2
04-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Well Guy's I don't want to get in a huge debate, but how can anyone that considers them selves good be using non comercial trimmers and mowers, there is alot of talk about big box stores mowers and trimmers, they are close to junk as they get, great for the guy that cuts there house once a week, but us commercial guys use them 40+ hrs per week. but back to trimmer line, gator line is the best, there is a steel wire core in the line, last insane long time but very hard on trimmer head protectors my guys shattered a few, before they finnally clued in not to leave so much loose line

Soupy
04-22-2005, 03:13 AM
I've heard that as well. Old Wive's tale?? never tried it myself, but my trimmer line always sat out in the rain on the trailer.

It does help because the trimmer line will get brittle. Soaking it allows for it to retain flexibility.

Soupy
04-22-2005, 04:20 AM

I agree. I wrote a big rant about Walmart, but decided against posting it. All I can say is those discounts come with hidden cost. Like someone else mentioned, do a search.

CuttingCrew
04-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Gator Line. Tried about 5 different brands last year and nothing came close to .105 gator line. Lasts forever and wears off clean, no frayed ends. Always purchase it from my dealer, keeping him happy is worth the extra cash. Had a flat on my Stander two days ago, had me out the door and back on the grass in 20 minutes.

Cut
04-22-2005, 08:58 AM
"Really I don't think there is any difference in trimmer line no matter what snazzy name you put on it. Honestly, it is string how different could it be?"
UNQUOTE

Well, lets see, I bought a spool of trimmer line at goodwill once for 50 cents. It appeared to be normal string, but once I used it , it seemed to dissapear at a rate of a foot a second near fencing.

heavenlydeere
04-22-2005, 09:58 AM
you all ever tried the husqvarna titanium line ? ive used it for 2 years now and love it its alot better than some ive used. never heard of the water thing i dont see how this would have any effect on the line being tougher,but if someone has then great i may try it!!!

Mickhippy
04-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Just store the line behind the seat in the truck. Do they soak it in water before you buy it! I think not! Keep it out of the sun is all ya need to do!

I use Desert Extrusion Diamond Edge .105 and have to say its best I ever used. I pretty much tried them all even something like Keblar core stuff. It wore as fast as plastic on cement edges etc but cost heaps more (was given a free sample to try and never got more!).

Give the..... Desert Extrusion Diamond Edge a go! Kick Azz stuff!
From hard core brushcutting to finest edges!
Its Orange! :cool:

Oldtimer
04-22-2005, 12:54 PM
For 15 years or so the best line was MN-7 grade. It was extruded by Shakespeare and Desert Extrusons and sold under several different labels. If you purchase line, other than some of the latest offerings such as Gator Line with aramid fiber or some of the lines with lower aerodynamic drag, always look for the MN-7 grade.

Always store trimmer line in a dark damp environment for maximum life. If you have a lower quality line that splits or splinters on the end, try soaking it for a week.

A lot of trimmer line durability problems lie with the operator. The proper way to travel with a straight shaft trimmer is from right to left and use only the tip of the line. If the line is tapered more than .5 inches the operator is either running the engine too slow, getting too close to the work or the line is too long.

Oldtimer