PDA

View Full Version : edger keeps clogging

cutrite
04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I just bought an Echo power edger model PE-200. I don't like it at all. It kept clogging every other minute. My blower and trimmer are stihl's but the Echo dealer is 3 minutes from my house,boy I think I made a mistake. I plan on taking it back.Am I the only one that had this experience.Please give me some input.

Runner
04-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Most stickedgers are known to clog. Stihl is about the only one that is known to never clog. It is probably just too wet to edge for you, right now. Do yourself a favor and hold off on it a bit. It will make it easier AND it will have better results.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-06-2005, 12:42 PM
i cut the outside of the blade case off .....this seems to have helped a bunch with clogging

Derek

PLM-1
04-06-2005, 12:47 PM
You may be going too deep to. Shorten up the cut and see if that helps. My Shindy doesn't clog too often, except for when the edge is WAY over grown.

marko
04-06-2005, 12:57 PM
If its clogging it's too wet. Try just getting the grass cut until it dries out, then go deeper on next stops as the ground dries out. All stick edgers will do this. I just got an echo unit too and its not the edger.

nt1
04-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I cut off the outsides of the plastic blade cases as well, I just leave about 1/4" lip on there. The newer higher end edgers come without an enclose blade case. Also that pe-200 is a little under-powered for commercial use but it will not clog nearly as often if you open up that case.

jaguar4000
04-06-2005, 02:31 PM
You may be going too deep to. Shorten up the cut and see if that helps. My Shindy doesn't clog too often, except for when the edge is WAY over grown.

my thoughts exactly. Adjust the wheel. I have the same echo edger and it never clogs on thick bahia or st augustine. Think it did clog once but this was b/c I was edging an overgrown drive.

Precision
04-06-2005, 08:55 PM
i cut the outside of the blade case off .....this seems to have helped a bunch with clogging

Derek
Not a good idea liability wise.

As others have mentioned you are going to deep in wet soil. And Stihl's will do that too. Mine does and every one I have ever used does if you try to edge deep in wet soil.

Mac B.
04-06-2005, 09:13 PM
I have the Stihl FC 85 and do not have a problem with clogging. I also have edged right after a rain and it does not clogg. I have centipede grass, don't know if grass type would make a difference in clogging.

Mac

Spirit Lanwcare
04-06-2005, 09:44 PM
I just bought an Echo power edger model PE-200. I don't like it at all. It kept clogging every other minute. My blower and trimmer are stihl's but the Echo dealer is 3 minutes from my house,boy I think I made a mistake. I plan on taking it back.Am I the only one that had this experience.Please give me some input.

Dude,

You bought a HOMEOWNER Echo edger. Of course it's going to clog. What freakin dealer sold you a homeowner edger for commercial use? You can't buy a decent commercial edger for $200-$220!

You need to go back to that dealer and pay the difference and get the PE-230 or PE-260. Completely different commercial units with plenty of power!

PS...If it's used.. good luck getting the dealer to take it back unless you buy something else in it's place.

TJLC
04-06-2005, 09:54 PM
I thought all the new Echo edgers came with the open case design. My Pe 230 did and I have NEVER had a problem with it clogging up. On the old style plastic case Echo I had, I just cut it to resemble the new design, worked great. I agree the 200 is a bit underpowered, my 230 is ok, but I wish I would have bought the 260. Good luck.

wissel_landscaping
04-06-2005, 09:54 PM
I have a pe-200 and a pe-260 the 200 is a nice edger for the money had mine for 2 years and still runs like new, i used the 260 today (very wet) it clogged up about every 100' for the most part i only use the 260 for spring clean ups then the rest of the year i use the 200.

lawnprosteveo
04-06-2005, 10:10 PM
My echo does the exact same thing... I'll bet that shindaiwas do too ( same design ). My next edger will definitely be a stihl..

TURF DOCTOR
04-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Good luck on getting the sthil started german ope.

specialtylc
04-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I had the same trouble with a Echo edger that had with the blade enclosed on both sides. The two Sthil edgers I own are open on one side , so they dont really clog up at all in wet soils.

Jason Rose
04-06-2005, 11:43 PM
I have a pe-200 also, about 4 years, still runs like new! humm, cause it hangs in my garage... too under powered and just a pita to mess with. Mine has a metal enclosure for the blade that has 3 screws that come out to remove the outside part of the guard. opens the whole right side and made it clog much less! Looks just like the guards on some of the bigger ones I have seen... When I bought it my dealer *coughs* schmuck *coughs* said the 200 was perfectly powerful enough and that he'd never even sold a larger edger before, though he had one in stock...

I just edge with the trimmer, I don't care about the arguements I see on here about how scrub it is and how it can't be done right. My edges look fine, never get complaints, I can make them perfectly 90 deg. or anything I want, and I don't have to retrace my steps all the time using 2 different pieces of equipment.

Oldtimer
04-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Shindaiwa will soon have an open housing like the Stihl. I have seen LCOs doing surgery on the housing to eliminate the wet packing problem.