PDA

View Full Version : first week with new set up...

fga
04-06-2005, 03:29 PM
things i've learned this week, with the new set up.
this is my my first time using and driving a trailer, atleast one larger then 4x8..
1) people like to park right against the back door so when your in the back yard working, you have to move the truck up just to open the ramp door... what are people thinking?

2)me backing my trailer in to the driveway is a comedy.. if i got it tape, you'd die. (although today i was pretty sharp). anyone else take some time learning to back that thing up, an enclosed 6x12?

3)Peltors.. what a difference. i can listen to the yankee game while i work. the day's are flying by, and i have no ringing in my ears.

just thought i'd throw my trailer dilemmas out there, i guess its just something you have to get used to, more like clueless people. the trailer itself is great. i have everything i need, and a ramp. i've been lifting equipment for 7 years, out of vans, pick ups, dump trucks.. my back feels great so far.
hope everyone's doing good.
i'm paying alot more attention to safety this year. eye and ear protection. one of the things i really got from this site, was these safety issues crammed down my throat... thank you.

greenwithenvylandscape
04-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Keep in mind, the shorter the trailer, the harder it is to back up! BTW do you use your mirrors or turn around? Glad you are enjoying youself....as it should be!

fga
04-06-2005, 04:37 PM
i use the both if i can. my wife was backing me in directing me.. made me run into the overhang above my driveway... women :)

LwnmwrMan22
04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
i use the both if i can. my wife was backing me in directing me.. made me run into the overhang above my driveway... women :)

Adam -

When backing your trailer, if your front wheels and trailer are straight, and you put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, which ever direction you move your hand, that's the direction your trailer will start to turn.

Just a little FYI, incase you hadn't noticed.

Lux Lawn
04-06-2005, 04:47 PM

Sure blame it on your wife,like she doesn't have enough to worry about then she has to back you into the driveway. :)
On a more serious note glad to see things are going good for you so far this year...That trailer will save your back and everything else in the long run.
I know what your talking about with the Peltors I just opened mine last night for the first time to listen to the Tribe game today.You do get a little feed back from the backpack with it on AM but its better then nothing.

fga
04-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Adam -

When backing your trailer, if your front wheels and trailer are straight, and you put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, which ever direction you move your hand, that's the direction your trailer will start to turn.

Just a little FYI, incase you hadn't noticed.i'm getting the hang of it, its mostly trying to get the swing correctly. into my driveway. i backed down a whole block, that i ca handle. i just look in the mirrors to see whiich way the trailer is going. i know if i turn into it it straightens out (you know what i mean).
what you said makes sense though. does it become like second nature, or is it always a pain in the..
i don't get angry, i think its funny, especially when i'm holding up traffic.

LwnmwrMan22
04-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Best thing you can do is go buy a bigger trailer, one with tandem axles. They don't turn as fast.

I can back my 24' enclosed trailer down the road about 45 mph, but the boat sucks even backing into the dock, since it's just a single axle.

LwnmwrMan22
04-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Sure blame it on your wife,like she doesn't have enough to worry about then she has to back you into the driveway. :)
On a more serious note glad to see things are going good for you so far this year...That trailer will save your back and everything else in the long run.
I know what your talking about with the Peltors I just opened mine last night for the first time to listen to the Tribe game today.You do get a little feed back from the backpack with it on AM but its better then nothing.

Lux -

If you haven't done so already, take your sparkplug out from the backpack and go get one either crossreferenced or one with an "R" in the "number". That'll help out with most of the feedback / static.

fga
04-06-2005, 04:57 PM
i was gonna say something about the feedback. its not too bad, but noticeable on some equipment, trimmer and blowers. the mowers, i guess its far enough away. they'll be chrstal clear, then when you run equipment and they get "itchy", just click the tune dial a touch... it helped me alot. but i'd have to click it back when i turn the machine off.

hey, don't mistake doing good for me being happy with the set up :) . i can't find a worker at all. tried using my younger brother today.... kids today don't have the drive at all. i started ahead of schedule, now i'm behind. :dizzy: there's alot of money on the table. hope i can get to it, without losing them. its got me stressed out alittle. i keep telling myself i have time, but people don't want to hear it.
how's it going for you so far?
isn't it cool catching the game while mowing, goes by so fast.

fga
04-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Lux -

If you haven't done so already, take your sparkplug out from the backpack and go get one either crossreferenced or one with an "R" in the "number". That'll help out with most of the feedback / static.
interesting. why would that be, just curious? cheap plugs?

lampeslawnservice
04-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Little FYI, when backing keep your trailer tire in your side view mirror. If one disappears you know how to correct it. Just make little movements with the wheel to correct!

lawnguyland
04-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Yankee and mets games are great in the spring, but then you get a lot more night games later in the season it seems. You'll get used to the trailer eventually, just take it nice and slow. Are you "allowed" to park your trailer in the driveway in SI? I've been using a 5*8 open that I can move by myself, fully loaded (36", thatcher, 21", lawn vac plus hand tools and 3 line trimmers (1s a chain saw ones a hedge trimmer). I can roll the whole thing into my garage and out of sight. The "how-dare-you-work-hard-and-have-a-work-truck-or-trailer-in-my-neighborhood-nazis" are everywhere so I gots ta keep on the DL! Go mets, I'm sick of the yanks, but not a yankee hater by any means.

fga
04-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Little FYI, when backing keep your trailer tire in your side view mirror. If one disappears you know how to correct it. Just make little movements with the wheel to correct!
thanks for the advice. practice, practice, practice..

fga
04-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Yankee and mets games are great in the spring, but then you get a lot more night games later in the season it seems. You'll get used to the trailer eventually, just take it nice and slow. Are you "allowed" to park your trailer in the driveway in SI? I've been using a 5*8 open that I can move by myself, fully loaded (36", thatcher, 21", lawn vac plus hand tools and 3 line trimmers (1s a chain saw ones a hedge trimmer). I can roll the whole thing into my garage and out of sight. The "how-dare-you-work-hard-and-have-a-work-truck-or-trailer-in-my-neighborhood-nazis" are everywhere so I gots ta keep on the DL! Go mets, I'm sick of the yanks, but not a yankee hater by any means.
it's not lettered yet, but i have parked some big commercial trucks in my driveway and never eally had a problem. here's a pic of my huge box truck, my neighbors must have hated me!
http://www.freeimagehosting.info/uploads/7a2282027a.jpg
here's my dump in the same spot..
http://www.freeimagehosting.info/uploads/48da628d4e.jpg
i've had some heavy ommercial trucks in the driveway and never a peep. evryone here has ghosts in the closet, so you have to be careful. every deck as far as the eye can see is illegal, technically.

yanks lost today, the sox have Mo's #, no doubt.

LwnmwrMan22
04-06-2005, 05:30 PM
interesting. why would that be, just curious? cheap plugs?

Lux -

Truth be told, I'm about as far away from mechanical as possible, yet able to pull off the workload I do. :D

Anyways, I BELIEVE the "R" stands for resistor, which will knock out some of the electrical interference.

The other thing you'll notice, if you listen to AM quite a bit, games, talk radio, etc., it'll double as a weather forcast, since the lightning will cause static too. ;)

LwnmwrMan22
04-06-2005, 05:33 PM
i was gonna say something about the feedback. its not too bad, but noticeable on some equipment, trimmer and blowers. the mowers, i guess its far enough away. they'll be chrstal clear, then when you run equipment and they get "itchy", just click the tune dial a touch... it helped me alot. but i'd have to click it back when i turn the machine off.

hey, don't mistake doing good for me being happy with the set up :) . i can't find a worker at all. tried using my younger brother today.... kids today don't have the drive at all. i started ahead of schedule, now i'm behind. :dizzy: there's alot of money on the table. hope i can get to it, without losing them. its got me stressed out alittle. i keep telling myself i have time, but people don't want to hear it.
how's it going for you so far?
isn't it cool catching the game while mowing, goes by so fast.

Adam -

You're finding out what I found out 4 years ago.

I dropped 2/3s of my accounts and went back to doing the work myself.

I've got about 60 hours / week under normal weather conditions of mowing to do.

Biggest problem with that was, last spring we had enough rain that I was actually working 80-100 hours.

I find it's easier on the stress level to just do the work myself and TRY to tell people no, which I have a VERY hard time to do.

Lux Lawn
04-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Lux -

I may have to try that...Thanks for the info.

RedWingsDet
04-06-2005, 05:41 PM
longer the trailer and more axles you have the eaiser it is :)

Toy2
04-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Grab some orange cones, about $6.00 each at HD, drop them behind you a couple of feet,,,,,,some people freak when they see cones,,,,,it appears to work for me,,,,,,i finally built shelves in my trailer....love the space...

Up North
04-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey Adam,
You'll be able to back that trailer into tight spots by next week blindfolded.

Lux,
Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good day by listening to the Tribe lose?? :D

And like Lwnmwrman said...they're great weatherforecasters in AM. When my Peltors start crackling and scratching I know I have about 30 minutes before I'm going to get wet. :realmad:

Buck

lawnguyland
04-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Adam -

You're finding out what I found out 4 years ago.

I dropped 2/3s of my accounts and went back to doing the work myself.

I've got about 60 hours / week under normal weather conditions of mowing to do.

Biggest problem with that was, last spring we had enough rain that I was actually working 80-100 hours.

I find it's easier on the stress level to just do the work myself and TRY to tell people no, which I have a VERY hard time to do.

Exxxxaaaactly. Although, there may come a day again with employees, but not as long as I can help it.

FGA- I got ya about the parking, that's cool that people don't biatch. In a house I lived in on the 2nd floor in Mineola above a dumb bizatch and her stupid moron husband, the neighbors complained about a friggin' pick-up truck parked on the street and the dumb ass husband said his idiot wife actually cried when she saw my truck at the time (1987 ford f250 with 33" tires, no dents, not bad looking) parked in the driveway we shared. People suck around here. If someone parked across a sidewalk like you do they'd drag your ass to town hall and string you up real good! F this place, join the southern exodus. Movement of Jah people. Oh yeah.