PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Commercial Mower for Children's home - help!

Smokyhousers
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I stumbled accross this website on google.

I work at Wears VAlley Ranch Children's Home in Sevierville, TN (www.wvr.org)

We have about 5 houses, a soccer field, ropes course, and lots of hills that need constant mowing. The mower gets used every single day, often by different housedads and other people. All of our mowers always break, I think that is because we keep using residential mowers that are not manufactured for a beating.

SOOOOO
WE have about $5000 to spend on a mower. I think I want to buy a walk behind mower for the hills and to keep the houseparents from wrecking the zero-turn.

Any advise on what mower to buy?

Thanks so much

lawnrangeralaska
04-06-2005, 06:29 PM
exmark hydro walkbehinds or hustler's walkbehinds. you might be able to find a nice used exmark ztr or hustler super z for 5000. it would be much easier to mow with then a walkbehind.

Mowing Freak
04-06-2005, 08:03 PM
What ever you do, let the dealer know you are a not-for-profit agency and they should be able to help with a "bid assist" from their distributor. If they don't know anything about that, check around. I know Hustler, Snapper, Grasshopper and Walker for sure has "bid assist" but not sure about the other manufacturers. Hope this helps!

Spirit Lanwcare
04-06-2005, 08:29 PM
John Deere has an awesome bid assistance program for non profit organizations!

You can save a ton of money! Works with Great Dane mowers as well as they are owned by Deere.

Good luck and God Bless!

Jpocket
04-06-2005, 08:52 PM
get a scag hydro best walkbehinds out there

52" deck and maybe a seat sulky (thing of the past for most guys) lol

sawman65
04-06-2005, 09:10 PM
hey smokey i work in johnson city and will cut you a good deal on a exmark or hustler walkbehind call me @1-800-926-3881 ask for john

Travis Followell
04-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Ferris also makes some good walk behinds that you may want to look at.

redoak77
04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
I would try to go for a 0-turn rider because in my opinion, it is easier to control than a walk-behnd. Most occasional users dont like the walk-behinds because you can't control them like a regular push mower. The first time i tried a walk-behind, i ran over a boxwood :rolleyes: and my dad dosn't even like to use my exmark and perfers the 33in troybilt that you turn urself. Thats just my .02 but i think they would be better off with a ZTR.

Precision
04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
whatever you decide, DO NOT get a pistol grip walk behind. That has a high learning curve and if you have a continuous rotation of people using it, someone will get hurt or the mower will get mangled.

lawncare4u
04-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Hustler Super Z

impactlandscaping
04-07-2005, 07:27 AM
Welcome to LS! I would also suggest a Z rider, rather than a walk behind. I wouldn't think the hills would be too much for a Z up that road. I'm not exactly sure where you are located on Wears Road, but I have a place at BlueGreen, and we are down at least once or twice a year. The bid assist program is the best route for you with a NP status. Get the best you can for what money you have.We'll have to look ya'll up next time we're in town in the fall.

Smokyhousers
04-07-2005, 11:10 AM
I really really appreciate it

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-07-2005, 11:23 AM
I think the learning curve on the Z would be high for occasional users/fathers and what not. Exmark TTHP walkbehind and with alil money left over hopefully get a 21" trim mower and a Redmax Edger.

Smokyhousers
04-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Just want to thank everyone for all of their input. I really appreciate it