PDA

View Full Version : Customer doesn't like my pay rate

all ferris
04-06-2005, 07:11 PM
I cut a new customer today. He only wanted mow and go (no trimming/blowing) so I bid it at $35 for the 1/2 acre. When I got to his house he had his shed door open and I could see everything in it. He then showed me everthing in the shed which included 4 corvettes, 2 harleys, 1 2005 chevy z71 and lots of other things. I was impressed to say the least and he seemed really nice. After I saw the contents of the shed I started mowing and I was done in 31 minutes. I didn't even look at a clock when I started or finished but the customer must have timmed me. As I was loading up he came out and said "31 minutes...you can't be done" I told him I was done. He then said "well, if your done we need to renegotiate the price because your making too much money". I was pi$$ed and told him I was not lowering my price :angry: . He threw a fit and told me how many things he could buy with the money I was charging him. He said $70 per hour is way too much. I told him take it or leave it....it's no skin off my back. He'll be real mad when I bring the 72" mower next week and I'm gone in 20 minutes.

Why is it that people, who must have some money to afford the things they have, ***** about the cost of lawn care? If he gives me any more lip there will be no more lawn care for him :nono: .

packerbacker
04-06-2005, 07:20 PM
How do you think he got all that stuff in his garage...

dvmcmrhp52
04-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Maybe you should explain the costs of doing business.

packerbacker
04-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Maybe you should explain the costs of doing business.

I tried that last week with a guy who wanted 2 acres done for 60 bucks...didnt quite work out.

Jpocket
04-06-2005, 08:02 PM
He must of made his money behind a desk, because if he was in any kinda business he would know about overhead. Or maybe he thinks your stupid. Why should you be penalized for being efficient. Tell him what one of your mowers cost, that usually raises an eyebrow

lawnrangeralaska
04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
haha when you go back next week have all your mowers going at once 36" through 72" and then see what he says lol.

Mark McC
04-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Lose this pr*ck fast. I simply will not deal with people like that. If they can't take it, they can stuff it, period.

Eho
04-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Its unreal that people think you should be punished for being efficient....Sounds like he is cheap if he didnt want any weedeating or edging either
EHO

lawnguyland
04-06-2005, 08:51 PM
My head is about to explode from just thinking about people like that. Never go back. Never. You'll just end up smashing his skull into one of his shiny I have to have lots of expensive cars to be cool mobiles. :realmad:

lawnguyland
04-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Lose this pr*ck fast. I simply will not deal with people like that. If they can't take it, they can stuff it, period.
I like that, "Stuff it". Where has that phrase been? I miss it. Lets bring it back. It was huge in the 80's and is perfect for non-cursing situations like lawnsite. Sweet.

lawncare4u
04-06-2005, 09:02 PM
He has probably been kissing someones a$$ all his life for a big buck job,knowas nothing about work!!!! :waving:

SCAG POWER
04-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Yep thats the way it goes most people with slot of toys have such fun at playing the game of beating up the lawn guy. Myself and another contractor did an irrigation system for a former customer that i had all last season. When we finished and i went to collect the check she said well i have to have another person check your work. All i said was do you want to pay us for the work we finished, her reply was later on . Well she just got her notice to owner a few days ago, see what is about to happen to her when you do not pay a licensed contractor,,,,,,,,,,,you get a lien on your house. The other contractor has been licensed for about 23 years doing irrigation, when i told him what she said, man was he mad over , check our work b#$%^&* no way notice to owner went rite a way. :gunsfirin :gunsfirin payup

The LawnSmith
04-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Sir, you are right. I was mistaken that you wanted professional, dependable, and reliable lawn care. I have heard that there is a guy in the neighborhood who has a 20" Murray with a dull blade that will accomodate your needs this week for a lot less. Bye Bye Now!!

TJLC
04-06-2005, 10:08 PM
How do you think he got all that stuff in his garage...

EXACTLY!
I think I would politely move on.

Lawn Wolf
04-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Repeat back what he said to you. Sir your making too much money for all those toys. You need to give me a couple, work overtime for 7 bucks an hour. If you make over that amount , thats way too much. People like you should not make that much money, what do you think this place is " AMERICA"...

StealthDT
04-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Tell him $35 won't buy a tank of gas for your truck. This is after he calls you when you don't show up to mow.

HOOLIE
04-06-2005, 11:48 PM
He's probably just jealous that you make more an hour than he does...reminds me of an old customer, never had any problems with her until the day we showed up, she was off from work, and saw that it only took 20 minutes to spend her $40. She came running out as we loaded up- "EXCUSE ME, where do you think you're going?"......"Well, we're leaving, we're done..."....."NO WAY, you just got here..."

StealthDT
04-06-2005, 11:59 PM
I had a yard we push mowed with two 21" 2-cycle Toro's in 10 minutes 51 seconds. They paid $67 a month, every month, included seeding & fert. It was in-between two larger jobs on a side street, was kinda neat trying to break the record every mow.

spoolinaround
04-07-2005, 12:32 AM
He's probably just jealous that you make more an hour than he does...reminds me of an old customer, never had any problems with her until the day we showed up, she was off from work, and saw that it only took 20 minutes to spend her $40. She came running out as we loaded up- "EXCUSE ME, where do you think you're going?"......"Well, we're leaving, we're done..."....."NO WAY, you just got here..."
I had one like that for the longest time, $45 for 25 min of work and one day she got pissed that it only took us 20-25 min and said nomore

now she has a neighborhood kid doing it for $20 a mow with a 21" mower..... whatever floats yer boat lady!!

Soupy
04-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Just explain to him that you didn't make $70/hr. Let him know the truth that he wouldn't buy much with your actual profit after paying all expenses. Also let him know that a lawn half his size is more profitable even with trimming. If he doesn't want to pay the price then tell him to trade one of his toys in on some good equipment to cut his own lawn.

I hate when people on large lots want the same price as smaller lots. a respectable company would charge $35 or more for a 1/2 acre so give him the boot just for insulting you for already giving him a break for not trimming.

clc2003
04-07-2005, 02:14 AM
I agree as well. It's like he's spitting in your face, look at my toys and then "you make too much"! Screw him, If the price was good enough before you mowed then it should be good enough after you mow. If he doesn't agree, tell the redneck to go buy a couple of goats :realmad: :angry: :p

Turf Dancer
04-07-2005, 03:15 AM
I would tell him the same thing I told a guy the other day, he wanted me to spend about 3 days on the clean up on a house he just inherited from his dead father in law for $200! I am talking three dump runs at least which will cost about $40! That would leave $160 for 30 hours work! Yeah I am that desperate! He got all pissed when I told him no and to call someone else. Well he called back three days later and asked me how much to clean this up and I told him $650 and he about went into orbit! He called me a thief and a bunch of other names, then he wanted me to do it for $325! I said $650 was a deal! He called me unreasonable and then an arrogant a**hole. I lost it and said "up your a** with a hand full of razorblades, I wouldn't clean that place up for $2000, get someone else". I was so pissed off after I got off the phone with that jerk. His wife called me later and asked if I would go clean it up for the $450 that I had agreed to, I told her we never agreed to any price and that I never said anything about $450! She said that was what her husband told her I said. I told her after the way her husband treated me I would never work for them, ever! She said that they just felt that my prices were too high for manual labor! Well after talking to them I found out that one of the landscapers here quoted them $1400 to do the same job. I was so pissed that they she would tell me that and then expect me to do it for $450! I told her $65 an hour plus costs. She then told me that they would take me to court for not honoring my quoted price. I told them to go ahead! We have no contract, and I will counter sue you for harassment, pain and suffering for your husbands comments. Well today this mess bit me in the butt! I have a customer who was good friends with the guy who died and left the house to his daughter, she called me up and chewed me out for causing these grieving people heartache after losing a close family member, she said they only need some help trying to sell this house and get on with their lives. She told me that they were done with me and they would hire someone with compassion for people. The funny thing is that the guy who lives next door to this house said that they got a huge life insurance payout from this guy dying. $250K, Lucky for me these people live 50 miles away or they would really try to ruin my reputation! People suck!

Duramax99
04-07-2005, 07:14 AM
See if he will trade you, mowing services for one of the corvettes. That would be a good deal.

DND Outdoor
04-07-2005, 09:07 AM
One he is using the wrong math formula of $70 an hour but a lot of people here know that. Unfortunately since I still don't have the customer base I would like I find myself having to tolerate that kind of nonsense. I have lost a couple jobs to "overbidding" and not because I want to rip anyone off but people don't realize with the price of fuel we pay not only to and from work but while we are working. I figure with a loaded truck and trailer I am getting about 10-12 mpg. People dont think that just to get to and from a job 10 miles away will take almost $5 in fuel, yet they want $15-$20 lawn jobs, I don't think so