PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Engine Problem..Help?

Petr51488
04-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Hey Guys. Alright, i have a problem with my john deere mower. It has a 4.5HP Kawasaki Motor on it. Just for the record its a 14sb 21'' commercial model with ohv engine. When the engine is running, the idle is fine, but when i engage the blades, black smoke comes out of the muffler and the engine significantly looses power, but then regains it. The same when i use the self propel thing. You can hear the engine slow down, but again goes back to normal. Do you think the carb has anything to do with it? Its a pretty old lawnmower. Any ideas? I already replaced the air filter, fuel line, oil, and belts at the end of last season. Anyone know any solutions? - Peter

sawman65
04-06-2005, 09:23 PM
replace the air filter

Eddie B
04-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Sounds like you are running rich. You should be able to adjust this on the carb. Have you checked the spark plug? If it is fouled up, this is a sign that you are running rich.

ZaK18
04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
If it only blows out smoke when the engine is under strain, Its probably the head gasket...should be easy to fix

Petr51488
04-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Sounds like you are running rich. You should be able to adjust this on the carb. Have you checked the spark plug? If it is fouled up, this is a sign that you are running rich.

What does running rich mean? I did replace the spark plug at the end of last season as well.

430 boy
04-06-2005, 10:10 PM
I think you could have one of two thing go for you. one the clutch could have a little oil on it could it to smoke or two the belt you replace is bound up and every time you engage the blade or engage the wheel the belt rubs against something underneith the mower could it smoke. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Petr51488
04-06-2005, 10:55 PM
I think you could have one of two thing go for you. one the clutch could have a little oil on it could it to smoke or two the belt you replace is bound up and every time you engage the blade or engage the wheel the belt rubs against something underneith the mower could it smoke. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

It smokes from the muffler not under the mower.. I have never replaced the carb on this mower, so do u think it could be that?

LawnMower
04-06-2005, 11:40 PM
replace the air filter

Good advice