PDA

View Full Version : Low Spots in Bermuda!

GrassHogs
04-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I have a customer w/ bermudagrass and there is a 5X5 low spot that collects water. The back yard also has several low spots in it as well. I told him the best thing to do is put sand down during the spring in on the 5X5 spot and to put sand down in the fall in the other low spots and to roll it w/ a roller. Is that right? I was wondering if anyone could help me on this problem as i usually deal w/ fescue and not bermuda? Thanks Nathan

kcowell
04-07-2005, 12:16 AM
With that big of a spot, I wouldn't fill it entirely with sand unless it is just really shallow. Maybe a topsoil or a sandy loam (topsoil/sand mix) and slowly fill it in. Or, fill it up, sod the top level with the rest of the lawn if it's too deep. It will be fast, not hard work, nor expensive.

GrassHogs
04-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the reply. The 5X5 spot is only abouy 3 to 4" deep. About how much of the mixture sould I start out filling with?

zd21man
04-07-2005, 01:34 AM
I worked on a ground crew for a couple years at sports complex .We used sand to fill in the holes in the outfeild with a topdresser it worked like a fertlizer spreader.But you can do this by hand shovel and wheel barrow.If it is 4 inches deep you dont want to fill it all unless you plan on putting down more turf.I would wait till the bermuda starts growing and put in 1 inch at a time .You will have to rake the sand through the grass .If you cant see the grass you have too much sand this wiil kill the bermuda or stun it.You probaly should work some soil in with it if is that deep.Just remember do this in steps ,after step one let the grass establish again before step two.Hope this helps.

GrassHogs
04-07-2005, 01:57 AM
thanks so much for your reply. Ill let you know how it goes.