PDA

View Full Version : What goes around, come around.

JB1
04-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Few years ago lost a property to a lowballer, no biggie, but here is the best part, now the lowballer has just been lowballed. Its like the Limbo saying "How low can you go"

Billz
04-07-2005, 02:04 AM
At some point, I can see homeowners putting a sign out front of their house: Now accepting bids for lawn mowing, and the price to start at. Then contractors drive by and try to beat the deal and get it. Like ebay in reverse. It is getting bad here lately. Lost a 3 acre apartment complex to the managers 15 year old son, and a 14 year old friend. I told her that she had better buy some more insurance, as they are likely to hurt themselves or someone else, and she will be on the hook. We always received compliments from tenents, and from her as well... sad to see that happen. I hope he can drive soon, plowing starts in November, and she just lost her Mowing discount! payup

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-07-2005, 02:08 AM
Few years ago lost a property to a lowballer, no biggie, but here is the best part, now the lowballer has just been lowballed. Its like the Limbo saying "How low can you go"

How do you know he got lowballed? Do you actually know what he was charging and what the new guy is charging?

lawnman_scott
04-07-2005, 06:15 AM
How do you know he got lowballed? Do you actually know what he was charging and what the new guy is charging?
I find it odd too that people know what the other guy charges, and years later know what the other other guy charges.

JB1
04-07-2005, 06:37 AM
Yes I do know how much, and have had property owners show me the bids.

John Gamba
04-07-2005, 06:49 AM
At some point, I can see homeowners putting a sign out front of their house: Now accepting bids for lawn mowing, and the price to start at. Then contractors drive by and try to beat the deal and get it.

Sad but i can see how much will you pay the home owner to cut the grass :angry:
John

impactlandscaping
04-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Yes I do know how much, and have had property owners show me the bids.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's nothing against you personally,JB...But I find it reprehensible when property managers have the audacity to show bids to competing bidders..kind of like "I don't care if you know your true costs or even want to measure the property, just beat this price from the last guy, and we'll sign with you..".type of deal...Man, I really hate that . I actually had a PM ask me 2 years ago if I wanted to know the current rates for everything on the property, and the name of the LCO. When I told her "no", she was a little peeved.She asked me how I could possibly know if I could beat it. I told her I wasn't interested in "beating" the current rate, only providing a true bid that was beneficial to both parties. It's what I bid, and if it's not good enough, so be it.

Norm Al
04-07-2005, 08:37 AM
some things like this,,,,,http://media2.big-boys.com/media/snowbackflip.wmv ,,,,,,dont come back around!

Grass Man
04-07-2005, 10:48 AM
.... You know if I am always going to be the low bidder that doesn't necessarily mean a good quality job - agreed :rolleyes:.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's nothing against you personally,JB...But I find it reprehensible when property managers have the audacity to show bids to competing bidders..kind of like "I don't care if you know your true costs or even want to measure the property, just beat this price from the last guy, and we'll sign with you..".type of deal...Man, I really hate that . I actually had a PM ask me 2 years ago if I wanted to know the current rates for everything on the property, and the name of the LCO. When I told her "no", she was a little peeved.She asked me how I could possibly know if I could beat it. I told her I wasn't interested in "beating" the current rate, only providing a true bid that was beneficial to both parties. It's what I bid, and if it's not good enough, so be it.

MarcSmith
04-07-2005, 11:30 AM
When I was purchasing at TGLC I would send my bids out for the plants. the the prices cam back I pucked my vendor based on price and availability.. When I had a vendor come back and ask why they did not get the job to provide the plants. I said XYZ nursery had a better price or their aivailabilty was better. I always got the same reply..."you should have come back we could have beaten their price/avail....." I reply...."You should have given me your best price/avail quotes the first time around...."

I don't mind getting the "last look" so to speak, but it rarely changed things, but it was interesting to see how the others bid...You know... see what corners they were cutting....Getting last look is good as it allows to be sure they are comparing apples to apples......

JB1
04-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Point being made is these bids are lower than they were 6 years ago, how much lower can prices go $135.00 for 8 acres, we'll not be doing any of that. I have not bid on this property in six years and every year it goes lower. This is about the only thing where the prices go lower and the expenses go higher.

TScapes
04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I find it reprehensible when property managers have the audacity to show bids to competing bidders..kind of like "I don't care if you know your true costs or even want to measure the property, just beat this price from the last guy, and we'll sign with you..".type of deal...Man, I really hate that . I actually had a PM ask me 2 years ago if I wanted to know the current rates for everything on the property, and the name of the LCO. When I told her "no", she was a little peeved.She asked me how I could possibly know if I could beat it. I told her I wasn't interested in "beating" the current rate, only providing a true bid that was beneficial to both parties. It's what I bid, and if it's not good enough, so be it.

Like Marc said, I like being the last one or one of the last to know what I am bidding against. It is one thing to ask for the scope of services, but knowing a budget amount is helpfull in determining if you can provide your services for their budget constraints. If not, then is there a way that you can cut costs to earn their business? Or is it simply a price driven bid? Some property managers know they need to pay more to get more results, but have their hands tied as far as their budgets. Other PM's don't care.... they want the cheapest price regardless of the quality.
I bid on a property recently that was the later of the two. It is an apt. complex less than 1/2 a mile from one of my other commercial properties, so I thought that I would stop in and see if I could give them a bid. Plus it would help fill another day in the immediate area, and reduce travel time for my guys. Anyways, the PM and I walk the property (it's in horrible shape... no mulch... leaves everwhere... and this is March). She tells me that she is not happy with her current vendor's results, and would like to have me present her with a bid. I ask her what her budget was and what services that included, and she told me $1500 per month for everthing except Turf Program, Seasonal Color, and Mulching. I tell her that I would have something for her by the end of the week, as her boss and investors were coming in then.
Needless to say, I measure it, and it should be about $2500 for those services. I make a business decision to match her current vendor's price as she also said they had $30k to spend on enhancements this year for the landscaping. That $30k would offset any price adjustment for sure. Anyways, I call over there the next week after I drop off the bid, and find out she was released of her duties. The Reg. Mgr tells me I am too high, that she already has another bid at $1450. I tell her that she gets what she pays for, but that with the cost of insurance, licenses, and gas.... I can not even begin to come below that. I tell her the property that I do just down the road, she was impressed, and I told her that I have 3x the budget there, therefore the results are superior. She agrees, but that cost is the driving force on that property. So another one down, several to go!
I look at it as an advantage going into a bid when I know a budget or some idea of what I am bidding against. Otherwise, it is a "Blind Bid" and you are pricing it based on what you think it needs and not what they have money for. It's sorta like the scenario of wanting a Hummer, because you feel you need and desearve it, yet your bank account (budget) won't allow you to get anything over a HEMI, or in this particular case, a GEO.