PDA

View Full Version : Link between corn meal and brain diseases

Green Quality
04-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Beware not all corn meal are the same!Organic corn meal or cgm or any organic corn product! could be contaminated with mycotoxins, a metabolic by- product fingi=( aspergillus flavus) any thing at 20 parts per billion.can be pulled off the market. but who testing?also corn meal is being linked to ring worm if feed is left on ground,any cuts on the skin may leave the door wide open!to pigs or farmers or sheep.I thought corn meal was safe!also a link to brith defects in Brownsville Tx. fungi is not to be played with!

woodycrest
04-06-2005, 09:55 PM
so does that mean i need to stop eating cornmeal muffins?

Corn meal is a staple in world food markets.

do you have a link with more information?

Green Quality
04-06-2005, 10:18 PM
It blew me away,I found this info by mistake,when looking up (trichoderma) this fungus eats other fungi .web sites vm.cfsanfda.gov www.ces.purdue.edu or word search organic corn meal and fungus.

YardPro
04-09-2005, 08:39 AM
hummm??

i thought all these organics were supposed to be so safe.......

woodycrest
04-09-2005, 08:51 AM
yardpro,

you forgot the 'roll eyes' smilie...

YardPro
04-12-2005, 07:13 AM
yep, sure did..... sorry about that. :)

Kate Butler
04-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I've been under the impression that this mycotoxin is only present if the meal (or beans, or flour - whatever) has been in storage for a long time. Or if it's gotten wet. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Most mills I've ever dealt with have the processing date on the bag.

woodycrest
04-13-2005, 10:45 PM
i really dont see how spreading cornmeal on a lawn is going to be a problem as far as health 'dangers' are concerned.

just like anything other products, proper storage is important.
Rancid corn is really disgusting...when i was a teenager i had to clean out the bottom of an old silo that stored feed corn...just thinking about that smell turns my stomach... :eek: