PDA

View Full Version : Age and Commercial Jobs

soccerlawn
04-06-2005, 10:55 PM
As the title shows, I was wondering how many younger guys are able to land commercial accounts. By younger I mean under 20. I ask because I feel that some people will just not take me seriously. So lets here how many teenagers have commercial jobs and how easy were they to land.

AEW
04-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Well I am in my early twenties and I believe some people dont like seeing the younger face. Especially commercial people. When it comes to a couple apartment complexes I dont think they even believe me when I tell them I am more than a solo operation etc. They think Im just some college kid with a push mower or something. It gets real old. Even with some references I do have I still cant get a foot in the door at some places. And they are new places needing someone as well....really makes me mad.

dvmcmrhp52
04-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Commercial customers are typically looking for a more experienced looking (older) individual to deal with.
In their minds more experience means more likely to perform, better equipped, etc.

Good, bad, or indifferent, that's the way I see it...........

northwest lawn
04-07-2005, 12:03 AM
i have four commercial accounts, tell them what they like to hear and stand behind it is what i did.

jgtxusa
04-07-2005, 12:04 AM
I am 22 now and our business is primarily large commercial accounts. Most of these I have had since I started selling hard in 2002 and 2003. The young face is hard to bypass, but I learned a little more about establishing a relationship everytime I went cold calling. Get some target accounts and go learn to cold call. I would say that 90% are not going to go very smooth at first, but hell you can learn sometimes a lot from those also. Good luck. I feel like I have learned more since starting to put it on the line with sales. One more thing if it helps you. here in TX we have a lot of commercial competition. If you can keep up with the work and establish many good relationships, you can make a killing with a good lot of residentials. You have to really hustle the with the phone calls. It is something to think about.

jtkplc
04-07-2005, 12:05 AM
This year I will have my first commercial account. I got it via a reference. I talked with the association manager and told him my background and experience. I wasn't sure if I would get the job or not because of my age, but it turned out I did.

StealthDT
04-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Best thing for a young face is to have a professional looking operation and list of references with job photo's on a handout. Make sure you maintain your personal appearance to match. Do more listening to the customer than talking, take your cues from the body language. Don't be nervous or overexcited, offer suggestions when given the opportunity during negotiations or site visits. Point out problems you can fix, but don't critique the resident contractors work. Finally, don't sell yourself short by underbidding your own costs just to win an account. That is, unless you want to pay them to let you work there....

soccerlawn
04-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

MImowerkid
04-07-2005, 05:12 PM
I have my subdivision account and I will be calling this daycare next to my neighborhood in about 5 min to find out if my bid was accepted!

rodfather
04-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Best thing for a young face is to have a professional looking operation and list of references with job photo's on a handout. Make sure you maintain your personal appearance to match. Do more listening to the customer than talking, take your cues from the body language. Don't be nervous or overexcited, offer suggestions when given the opportunity during negotiations or site visits. Point out problems you can fix, but don't critique the resident contractors work. Finally, don't sell yourself short by underbidding your own costs just to win an account. That is, unless you want to pay them to let you work there....

Great advice...get them thinking about everything other than your age or the fact you only shave once a week.

mownredneck
04-07-2005, 10:32 PM
I got my first commercail account this year, but it was because my uncle rent the building out. But they met me and liked me so I think it had to less to do with him being my uncle.

TheKingNJ
04-07-2005, 10:42 PM
I got my first commercail account this year, but it was because my uncle rent the building out. But they met me and liked me so I think it had to less to do with him being my uncle.

I hope you have a registered business under your parents name because I know you can't being your only 17.

Are you paying taxes on that? Do you have insurance? What happens when your uncle deducts mowing expence from his taxes and the irs comes knockin on your door.

MN_BR
04-07-2005, 11:38 PM
My first post here, although I have "lurked" for some time after finding my way over from plowsite.

I am 22 and 3 of my accounts are commercial and i have had them for four years. They include a law office, restaurant, and 2 apt complexes. Do a good job and follow up with what you and the owner agree on and you'll be just fine.

The same as doing personal accounts, do your best job and make the account look impressive and soon other commericals will be wondering who does it and what it always looks good. payup

Eddie B
04-08-2005, 12:05 AM
As the title shows, I was wondering how many younger guys are able to land commercial accounts. By younger I mean under 20. I ask because I feel that some people will just not take me seriously. So lets here how many teenagers have commercial jobs and how easy were they to land.

I mow for a transmission shop and a Sunoco. I placed a bid on 2 larger commercial accounts earlier and both were a no-go. I'm happier with resi accounts, at least for now, since I spend most of the week solo.