PDA

View Full Version : browning leylands

bigviclbi
04-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I have some leylands that browned over the winter, not dead but not pretty either. What can I do to get them going again this year? I'm in South Jersey by the beach.

StealthDT
04-06-2005, 11:26 PM
I had eight die on me, and three more are brown. I think they all drowned or there is a root problem, like fungus. I did a systemic fungicide and pesticide when I first noticed the problem in late 03. Didn't help. I also thought it might've been round-up overspray, because it started near the base and worked it's way up. But found out no one had used round-up on the mulch under them. The dead ones came out of the ground real easy, noticed a lack of normal rooting growth. I've never seen this happen to leylands before. Seems like the tips of new growth die off. I also saw some flies landing on the dead material. I cut it off and opened up the sprouts looking for insect larva, but couldn't find anything. I'm going back to magnolias.....

DGM
04-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Leyland cypress's will get a canker diseases there is no chemical cure for it, you will need to cut out the effected branch at least 1" below the canker and destroy it. Make sure you sterilize it between each cut. If the majority of the tree has the canker disease you need to take it out and destory it. You need to take of this as soon as you see it because it will spread.

Coffeecraver
04-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Two root diseases may affect Leyland cypress;

Phytophthora root rot caused by Phytophthora cinnamomi, and Annosus root rot caused by Heterobasidion annosum. Phytophthora root rot can be a problem in both the nursery and landscape, and primarily affects smaller roots on plants. Large established trees in the landscape are rarely affected by Phytophthora root rot. The disease is usually more damaging in situations where soil drainage is very poor. Plants with severe root damage may exhibit a general yellowing of the foliage and some tip dieback. Phytophthora root rot can only be diagnosed with certainty by laboratory analysis of affected roots. Control of the disease in nurseries can be obtained by treatment with Subdue Maxx. Chemical control is not recommended for landscape trees.

Annosus root rot is usually associated with landscape plants. Initial infection by the fungus is by spores on the freshly cut stumps of conifers, most commonly pine. The fungus grows through the stump and its root system and may infect adjacent trees through root contact. The larger roots of the newly infected plants are killed and decayed. Top symptoms may include a yellowing and slow decline, followed by death of the tree; or the foliage on the entire tree may suddenly turn a reddish-brown color. Some trees may fall over before any crown symptoms are present. Fruiting bodies of the fungus may form at the base of the tree, usually beneath the mulch or leaf litter. These are usually small, irregular in shape, brown on the upper surface and white on the lower surface. There are no effective control measures once the tree is infected. As a preventative measure, stumps of felled, living conifers should be either removed completely, or the stump surface treated with dry granular borax immediately after the tree is felled.

:)

Williams Services
04-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Let's not forget to check and be sure that they're not planted too deep. I was having problems with one here at the house, started browning and turning south ... my girls had piled dirt, rock, etc. around thebase of the tree. I dug out about 2-3" of trunk and it improved overnight, almost.

Coffeecraver
04-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Ditto's On that ( Williams Services )
:drinkup:

bigviclbi
04-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys. One plant is completely brown but not dead, still a lot of moisture in branches. I don't think its buried too deep, I did plant them late in the fall(late october) but I have to at least replace one, the place they're in is so hard to get. Everything is going great for me this year, so i can't be too ticked off. Thanks guys for the info.