PDA

View Full Version : 23 kawi no power with blades on

AVERDEROSA
04-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Went out cutting today cut first lawn no problems. Went to cut second lawn started machine ran normal untill i engaged blades. When i engage blades the motor bogs down & blades only spin about half speed. I came home & cleaned carb, already had put new filters on it before i even used it. Plugs are also new. Cleaning the carb did not help. NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!

PS. (bobcat zt 200 ) :help:

Soupy
04-07-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but check and make sure your choke isn't sticking, or one of your plugs are not fouled. This will make the engine lose power under load. I'm sure there are many other possibilities.

beransfixitinc
04-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Hmm.. maybe you got something wrapped around the blades that is putting an abnormal strain on the engine and making it sound like it doesn't have any power. Hard to say without seeing it.

spoolinaround
04-07-2005, 01:25 AM
blowing black smoke, no smoke?

might be way lean

rodfather
04-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Check all the belt pulleys, idlers, etc.

Duramax99
04-07-2005, 08:17 AM
I would go with rod on this one, check all your belts and pulley's
Let us know what you find

DGM
04-07-2005, 08:20 AM
I have not delt with Kaw. in years but when we ran all snapper 48" walkbehind hydros with kaw. engines they were notorius for the valve adjustment getting out of adjustment. If we had any problems low power, hard starting, etc. a quick valve adjustment and it run perfect for about 6 months.

Check the simple stuff first, like others has said belts, pulleys, etc.

impactlandscaping
04-07-2005, 08:46 AM
I would check as Beran's said, and then look at fuel delivery / clogged fuel filter next.

AVERDEROSA
04-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone, I do all my mower maintenance my self and have been for years. So all the simple stuff like: belts / pulleys / filters / plugs / gas / ect have already been ruled out. The one thing I have never done is check valves. Sounds like this is the next step. Im not really sure of the right way to do this but do have a good idea. Any help would be great.

Thanks again.

Premo Services
04-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I have a 17 hp kawasaki and it done the same thing, it was the igition coil on one side that went bad.
I would also check all the things that others mentioned.

JOEWOOD
04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.greengiant.com/images/home/Greens.gif

JOEWOOD
04-07-2005, 12:32 PM
http://www.greengiant.com/images/home/Greens.gif

Have the same problem on my Gravely with 18 HP Kawi.

Just got it back from the shop after a Cam-job, gave it the Thumbs-up.!

Go figure...Joe :cool2:

AVERDEROSA
04-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Problem solved. :cool2: ( DGM your the man ) A little valve adjustment and good as new. THANKS to everyone for your replies. (Back to work I go) :)

pjslawncare/landscap
04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Just had the same thing happen with my Kaw 23. Damn valves kept going out of adjustment. Finally broke the rocker arm studs off before I figured it out. Luckily it was a cheap fix (studs = $2.61). Now I keep a good eye on the valve adjustment. Cant stand Kaw any more, had problems with my other Kaws too. :realmad:

DGM
04-07-2005, 04:48 PM
AVERDERSOA, Great! Glad I could help. :cool:

spoolinaround
04-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Just had the same thing happen with my Kaw 23. Damn valves kept going out of adjustment. Finally broke the rocker arm studs off before I figured it out. Luckily it was a cheap fix (studs = $2.61). Now I keep a good eye on the valve adjustment. Cant stand Kaw any more, had problems with my other Kaws too. :realmad:
the only valvetrain problem I had in any of my kawasaki's was a broken camshaft