PDA

View Full Version : Utility flags

bigdave36
04-07-2005, 01:56 AM
I have a problem I havn't had to deal with yet. They are rebuilding the road behind the back yards of three of my customers. They have put out numerous flags to mark the utility lines.
Whats the best way to deal with these. Looks like a real pain.
Thanks for the help...Dave

jerryrwm
04-07-2005, 02:44 AM
The best way is to leave those flags alone. Mow around them, but don't move them. They were put there to mark underground utilities which is required by law before any excavation can be done. You move them, and there are all kinds of liability issues that can arise.

Just a word to the wise. You can notify the owner so they understand why there is a mohawk strip in the yard.

br549oicu8
04-07-2005, 10:14 AM
More problems than just that with those flags. We make it a point to mow around them once and remove them after. Call your local "dig safe" and find out how long the flag markings are good for. In Kansas it's 15 days. After 15 days the markings are no longer valid. Another request and new marking would have to be performed to be current and legal.
Now let's talk another issue. Who is responsible for removing them???? Nobody wants this one. 6 times in the last 20 years we have hit the remnant spring steel wire, after the flag part was gone, and shot it through the sidewall of one of our mower tires ruining it. Who is responsible for that>???
You are....and that sucks. Now let's see...what if you not only hit the wire but shoot it as a projectile and hurt someone, etc???? See my point.
I had the local gas company call us recently and complain that we removed flags. I made all of these points to them and heard no more from them.
It is a pet peeve for me that is one sided.
Call them and make your point!!!!!!'Buddy

packerbacker
04-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Keep them and use them as sprinkler flags...

br549oicu8
04-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Yes...keep them!!!!!! We do that too. Hope you guys have never had any damages from hitting those wires!!! I don't mind the ones that have the plastic shaft.