PDA

View Full Version : A message on my machine today! (Funny)

ChadA
04-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Today I was doing some work for this lady my wife works with. Nothing major, just a bed clean up and a few other small jobs. I already have on one on that street so my wife said she would hand out some flyers while I worked. Well she did and when we got home there was a message on my machine that went like this.
" I don't know whoooo you think you are, advertising on my street with these prices. $30 a cut is waaaaaaay to high when we have guys offering to do it for $15 a cut. Maybe when you get more competitive you can come back and try again with your silly little flyer."
I almost died laughing. My wife wanted me to call him back a cuss him out. I thought it was hillarious. I'm keeping that one. Anyone else ever get any good messages like this.
Whats funny is I signed up two people on that street today and my wife only handed out 45 flyers.

MOW ED
04-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Shame on you for not keeping with the market rates. Don't you know we only do this for beer money.

Aren't people funny, you sure can't please them all and you certainly won't get them all. Not that you would want a turd like that. Sounds like you have a bottom feeder in the neighborhood but eventually he will be gone like all the others. Problem is that there will always be another goof that will mow at a loss and think he is making money and there will always be that idiot on your phone who is looking for the lowest price regardless.

Thanks for the laugh, there are goofy people everywhere.

rodfather
04-07-2005, 07:27 AM
I seriously would not get off my couch for 15 bucks...period

Charles
04-07-2005, 07:50 AM
I wouldnt either but I have been told and read on here before the Fla yards go on average for 15 to 20$ per cut. I wouldnt even get off the sofa for 30$

LwnmwrMan22
04-07-2005, 08:32 AM
I'd get off the couch for $30, but the ramp on the trailer doesn't come down until it's $50.

daveintoledo
04-07-2005, 08:44 AM
over and over, i have some VERY small yards that take 10 min with trimming , 30.00 bam, and another, and another.... kind of depends on what you are looking at doesnt it.....makes more money then my acre and a half yard at 60.00......

save that message, that is really funny,...

i can hear an old mans voice (they will cut it for 15.00 blah blah)

the scaper
04-07-2005, 09:11 AM
I got one the other day from some old lady, dont have a clue as to who she was, didnt leave a ph# or anything. She said in a frantic voice..Scaper... this is winny.. please come over here as soon as you can, we have found a shingle in our front yard that has blown down from someones house... please come and find out where it came from and get that back to them. WTF?? Lol!

NEUSWEDE
04-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I always find it funny when people throw flyers on my door or in my mailbox when my truck is there all lettered up and my equipment is always around, I just laugh and say what do they think I am too busy to do my own that I would pay them. Cheesy flyers too, makes me feel better about my company!

AL Inc
04-07-2005, 09:58 AM
I would definitely keep that one. He must really have nothing to do except call you to ***** about a flyer. I've gotten some funny calls over the years, and when I get together for beers with my group of friends in the business, we always have some laughs and tell stories about customers :D

Shawnslawns
04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Went out to give an estimate today. Lady lived in a low income subdivision. She said she could get me 5 or 6 more lawns. I told her 30.00 was the lowest I could go for about a half acre to mow. She said some kid mowed last year for 15.00 for each of the yards around there. I told her ther was no way I could do it for that. I couldn't drive out there for 15.00.

trying 2b organic
04-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Being in biz automatically exposes us to stuff exactly like that, I have had more than my share already this yr and in fact just fired a particularly angry old lady customer who wasnt worth my time. (Terribly sorry due to scheduling i will be unable to yadda yadda)

Also, I just started selling in a subdivision with very small lawns at @25.00 per cut when there is already someone working the area for $15.00. Surprise surprise he does a bad job. I expect to do well in that area as people get to know me.

With a call like that remember that every minute you think about it you give power to a dipspit. You are right, It is funny and thier message should be laughed off.

packerbacker
04-07-2005, 12:46 PM
I wouldnt spit across a street for 15 bucks

ChadA
04-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I always find it funny when people throw flyers on my door or in my mailbox when my truck is there all lettered up and my equipment is always around, I just laugh and say what do they think I am too busy to do my own that I would pay them. Cheesy flyers too, makes me feel better about my company!

I kind of suspected he might of been an LCO who lived the area just trying to scare me off. But I thought nah, thats to low. If it was an LCO he's not going to like seeing me there tomorrow. Got another one today. That make three in his neighborhood.

jbell113
04-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Today I was doing some work for this lady my wife works with. Nothing major, just a bed clean up and a few other small jobs. I already have on one on that street so my wife said she would hand out some flyers while I worked. Well she did and when we got home there was a message on my machine that went like this.
" I don't know whoooo you think you are, advertising on my street with these prices. $30 a cut is waaaaaaay to high when we have guys offering to do it for $15 a cut. Maybe when you get more competitive you can come back and try again with your silly little flyer."
I almost died laughing. My wife wanted me to call him back a cuss him out. I thought it was hillarious. I'm keeping that one. Anyone else ever get any good messages like this.
Whats funny is I signed up two people on that street today and my wife only handed out 45 flyers.

I put some flyers out once and I had a message on my machine that went like this ,(If you are trying to drum up new business I suggest that you do it some other way than using tape on the mail boxes I just put up a new box and the tape pulled off the paint and i am furious) I dont put out flyers any more I advertise in the yellow pages

redoak77
04-07-2005, 05:21 PM
i doubt this guy does a good job, but if he does he would make a great subcontracter!!lol u would probably end up with more money than doin it urself

promower
04-07-2005, 05:47 PM
I did an estimate a few days ago about someone wanting roughly 2 yards of mulch picked up and hauled off the property, and they were going to put in new mulch. Called them back and gave them the price of $75.00. She said ok and told me just to leave the check in the mailbox. I'm like you mean the invoice? She's quiet then says, well your going to use the mulch on other jobs right? I said I might but probably not. She goes on to tell me that they arent just going to give away mulch for free. Good luck selling wood chips (wasnt even nice mulch) to any lawn or landscape companies. Lol told her I wasnt interested.

Frontier-Lawn
04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
I seriously would not get off my couch for 15 bucks...period

ya mow for $15 but charge a $20 stop fee :D

Trevors Lawn Care
04-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I wouldnt either but I have been told and read on here before the Fla yards go on average for 15 to 20$ per cut. I wouldnt even get off the sofa for 30$

Wow, he copied the same reply as Rodfather...Original

I have had customers call and ask if i would match prices...Nope not happening

trevor

Drew Gemma
04-07-2005, 06:41 PM
i don't do anything under 30 new rule thats it bottom line don't like well that is one less yard and the sooner I go home.

kory landscaping
04-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Monday this week I had 2 mexican fellows come up to me, One said he was going to get all my customers. The other one said that he handed out 1000 flyers and he received 500 calls. Who cares I told him. The bad part about this I pick up 10 of their old customers.And I didn't even hand out any flyers.

Kory Landscaping

promower
04-07-2005, 07:30 PM
1000 flyers and 500 calls, probably all calls saying dont put anything in my mailbox ever again. 50% response rate on flyers :laugh: :laugh:

grassmanvt
04-07-2005, 07:38 PM
That reply about the mulch is almost as funny as the original thread. "just leave the check in the mailbox", wonder if that will work with the garbage man?

NEUSWEDE
04-07-2005, 07:57 PM
I kind of suspected he might of been an LCO who lived the area just trying to scare me off. But I thought nah, thats to low. If it was an LCO he's not going to like seeing me there tomorrow. Got another one today. That make three in his neighborhood.

Huh? You lost me, you quoted me so was that a response to what I said? I am in Maine your in Florida!

Ron's Lawncare
04-07-2005, 08:06 PM
i actually hired a local turd to do my yard,his flyer said 15.00 to mow,trim,edge and blow.my lot is .5 acres and took me about 35-40 min to do myself wth all the beds and hardscape to trim around.
he showed up in his 10 year old ford ranger with a craftsman rider and mtd walk behind.i just happened to be home and i was blowing down my Walker to remove and sharpen the blades.he mowed it in about an hour, i gave him the $15.00 and never saw him again.

Ron

grass-scapes
04-07-2005, 08:32 PM

Don't laff, my wife threatened to hire another lawn service if I didn't take better care of my own yard. I mow it regularly, but she complains if I don't weed eat everything every week.

WhohasHelios?
04-07-2005, 08:40 PM
i actually hired a local turd to do my yard,his flyer said 15.00 to mow,trim,edge and blow.my lot is .5 acres and took me about 35-40 min to do myself wth all the beds and hardscape to trim around.
he showed up in his 10 year old ford ranger with a craftsman rider and mtd walk behind.i just happened to be home and i was blowing down my Walker to remove and sharpen the blades.he mowed it in about an hour, i gave him the $15.00 and never saw him again.

Ron

LOL!!!!

Oh man i love it!! He pulled up and actually saw your equipment??!!

Sooooooooooooo great!!!

Appalachian landscape
04-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I did an estimate a few days ago about someone wanting roughly 2 yards of mulch picked up and hauled off the property, and they were going to put in new mulch. Called them back and gave them the price of $75.00. She said ok and told me just to leave the check in the mailbox. I'm like you mean the invoice? She's quiet then says, well your going to use the mulch on other jobs right? I said I might but probably not. She goes on to tell me that they arent just going to give away mulch for free. Good luck selling wood chips (wasnt even nice mulch) to any lawn or landscape companies. Lol told her I wasnt interested.

That's friggin hilarious! ;) If it's good mulch, why would they need new stuff?

LwnmwrMan22
04-07-2005, 09:53 PM

Ron

I had to hire someone to finally finish the landscaping project I started in '99. Got it finished the fall of 2003.

My dad mow my yard. He and my mom live next door, so once a week I'll leave a mower home and he'll mow the three yards. My mother in law lives on the other side of us.

I used to have my employees mow my yard each week, but since I don't have any employees, I'm not about to mow my own yard after mowing for 12-14 hours a day, 6 days a week.

spoolinaround
04-07-2005, 10:40 PM
I had to hire someone to finally finish the landscaping project I started in '99. Got it finished the fall of 2003.

My dad mow my yard. He and my mom live next door, so once a week I'll leave a mower home and he'll mow the three yards. My mother in law lives on the other side of us.

I used to have my employees mow my yard each week, but since I don't have any employees, I'm not about to mow my own yard after mowing for 12-14 hours a day, 6 days a week.
I picked up a flyer at a local drugstore and I called the guy and he said $10 nomatter the size, LOL he is going to be here on monday to cut my lawn, I figure for $10 it will be worth it to sit in the hottub while he works his ass off on my third acre lawn that just had about 1.5# of N/1km put down on it last monday, I hope he enjoys the dog**** in my backyard :evil:

Language

Pro - Cut
04-08-2005, 01:03 AM
I am new in the buss and had my brother handing out door hangers he and i will be working togher this summer. got my first phine call last week form a guy saying $30.00 i was nuts and he was reporting me to the city and i better of had a sollicting permit or i was going to court. what a nice way to start you year.

sildoc
04-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I am new in the buss and had my brother handing out door hangers he and i will be working togher this summer. got my first phine call last week form a guy saying $30.00 i was nuts and he was reporting me to the city and i better of had a sollicting permit or i was going to court. what a nice way to start you year.
Get this every year. Funny thing there is no permit needed for solicitation if you do not knock on the door. I just appologize and go on with my day. It is funny how instead of taking 2 seconds to throw it in the round file they spend 5 mins chewing your rump.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-08-2005, 08:34 PM

Hey Charles, come on down to my neck of the woods. Up untill the beginning of last spring I would not drop my tail gate for less than 35 but had to DROP my prices to keep from starving. The prices here are actually going down because of the economy. I need to move to Jersey! payup

ChadA
04-08-2005, 09:55 PM

That's something else right there. I can't believe the nerve of some people.

ChadA
04-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Huh? You lost me, you quoted me so was that a response to what I said? I am in Maine your in Florida!

What?????????????

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 10:15 PM
What a great thread. There is truly some very, very stuff in this one. People never cease to amaze me.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-09-2005, 09:05 PM

You have got to be kidding? I thought I had some real losers in my area but I have to give that one thumbs up!

Pro - Cut
04-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Get this every year. Funny thing there is no permit needed for solicitation if you do not knock on the door. I just appologize and go on with my day. It is funny how instead of taking 2 seconds to throw it in the round file they spend 5 mins chewing your rump.

After I got that call that day I went on line and found out in that city you do need a permit.went out the next day and got on. the people at the city looked at me like i was nuts but better safe then sorry. $10.00 a year and now legal.

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 09:19 PM
After I got that call that day I went on line and found out in that city you do need a permit.went out the next day and got on. the people at the city looked at me like i was nuts but better safe then sorry. $10.00 a year and now legal.
So you have to have a permit just to put flyers on people's door, or on their porch? Or is it just if you knock?

the scaper
04-10-2005, 09:49 PM
After I got that call that day I went on line and found out in that city you do need a permit.went out the next day and got on. the people at the city looked at me like i was nuts but better safe then sorry. $10.00 a year and now legal. Why did they look at you like you're nuts? Are you nuts? or are they just a bunch o local governmental numb nuts that think they own the town- like the ones where I live? I hate that. :gunsfirin :D