PDA

View Full Version : Blade Sharpening

Grass Man
04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Blade Sharpening,

.... I think this is a good time of the season to beg the question. How do you sharpen your blades? That is, do you have a SPECIAL technique, a unique way of putting a nice even sharp edge on your blades or do you just rough it out. I have seen MOST techniques from using a course grinder, counting file strokes, turning a blade up-side-down and grinding away on a grinder to just knocking off the high spots etc., no balance. I have also seen a very fine honing, very careful file work, finishing up with either a 3M and or scotch bright wheel and dynamic or very accurate pivot balancing.

.... What is your approach to BLADE SHARENING and how important is it to you :eek: :blush: :confused: :o :rolleyes: :)?

Grass Man
04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
.... I forgot to mention how frequently do you sharpen as well :blush:?
Blade Sharpening,

.... I think this is a good time of the season to beg the question. How do you sharpen your blades? That is, do you have a SPECIAL technique, a unique way of putting a nice even sharp edge on your blades or do you just rough it out. I have seen MOST techniques from using a course grinder, counting file strokes, turning a blade up-side-down and grinding away on a grinder to just knocking off the high spots etc., no balance. I have also seen a very fine honing, very careful file work, finishing up with either a 3M and or scotch bright wheel and dynamic or very accurate pivot balancing.

.... What is your approach to BLADE SHARENING and how important is it to you :eek: :blush: :confused: :o :rolleyes: :)?

LawnMower
04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
I bet your going to get bombarded with "do a search on blade grinding". But I like the subject my self, lol. I did my blades on a bench grinder, then switched to an angle grinder. Last week I I purchased the Magna Matic 9000 blade grinder as well as the Magna Matic balancer. So I'm going to be grinding my blades with the Mag equipment for the next 40 years I hope.

In the high growth season I sharpen the blades every couple of days or so. I may do it every day this year. The most pain in the butt thing about sharpening blades now is taking them off and putting them back on the mower.

packerbacker
04-07-2005, 01:08 PM
I sharpen every night wether I do 17 yards on mondays or 9 on Wednesday.

Keeping sharp blades keeps the grass healthier. Plain and simple.

br549oicu8
04-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Good idea!!! We change blades daily and maintain 4 sets per mower. We use the RBG grinder and are very satisfied. Had a Neary and didn't like it.
Longer days we change blades mid-day!!!!

Tider6972
04-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Oregon has a blade grinder which sells for ~$216 . Has anyone used it, does it do an acceptable job (with a decent operator :>) !)?

lawnandplow42
04-07-2005, 04:23 PM
12 dollar electric hand grinder.
works for me

MSS
04-07-2005, 10:08 PM
i use a cordless impact to remove blades, does any one else?

TURF DOCTOR
04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Yes 2 snapon 1 half inch and 1 three eights inch

packerbacker
04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
I use to but my wife bought me a Husky air compressor for Christmas :p

Best investment she ever made!

LB Landscaping
04-07-2005, 10:16 PM
We have been using a bench grinder, but will be getting a dedicated grinder this year. Usually sharpen 2-3 times per week. If the blade grinder is as good as I hear may even do it everyday.

lafrance4078
04-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I clamp the blade to the rails on the trailer and use a angle grinder. Works for me. Also, if you keep several sets, try putting a light coat of spray paint on the newly sharpened edge. This will keep it from rusting. Not sure that it will make much difference, but it sounds good!

nitrotim
04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
i use a cordless impact to remove blades, does any one else?

I got dewalt brand new on ebay 18 volt half inch. The only problem I have is I have to use the ATV lift with a 2X4 to get the deck high enough so it fits underneath. Makes it quick off and on.

fairwayCuts
04-08-2005, 12:10 AM
I got a 6" bench grinder over the winter. I finally got the grinder out and sharpened my blades the other week. Seemed to go pretty well, but wasn't real sure if I was doing it right. For the guys that use bench grinders any secrets? Right now I've just been hand sharpening them(no under table to stabilize). I asked a local hardware store and they told me to make sure to only sharpen the one side, which is what I was doing. Do you get them razor sharp? How can I make sure to keep the right angle?