PDA

View Full Version : Bobby, your thoughts? (or anyone else)

marko
04-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Bobby,
I have read your clean up threads and am interested in your procedure for your leaf clean ups. I understand you use the meg-mo's. Do you side discharge and go over the lawn 2 times, then catch? Or do you mulch 2 times then catch? My dilemma is not wanting to catch grass (not leaves), but it being a PITA to convert from mulching (removing the baffles) to catching. Can I get away with removing just the last baffle covering the discharge and be able to catch or side discharge? The mower is a 36" Toro. I set up doubles last night (Gators over normal lifts) but did not notice much of the pulverizing on the leaves with normal side discharge. I want to mulch all year, then do my leaf cleanups by either leaving it as all mulching or all side discharge/catching.

Joel B.
04-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Well, here's what I do:

Blow leaves out of bushes, away from buildings, off paved areas, etc. and onto the grass.

Mulch (sometimes once is enough, sometimes more, depends on amount of leaves) with my WB. This takes care of about 95% of the leaves.

If the customer wants the lawn to look even nicer, I'll then bag it with my tractor/bagger. It really does a nice job.

After mulching a lawn a couple of times and thinking it looks pretty good, it's amazing how much the bagger still picks up.

Joel B.

marko
04-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks Joel. Anyone else? My big problem is putting on and taking off the baffles on my Toro. Here is what they look like: http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/midsize/fixedgear/access_mulch.html

I guess Im wondering if I can leave the inside baffles in and just remove the outside on (the one covering the discharge) if I want to side discharge.

packerbacker
04-07-2005, 01:10 PM
I do the same thing as Joel but I only mulch for one cleanup. After that I catch all the clippings and leaves. It leaves way to much thatch from the mulched leaves on the grass to do it more then once.

Tn Lawn Man
04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
OCDC.....I like it much better than a mulch kit.

marko
04-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Ive considered these, but wont I still need baffles to keep the grass from just bouncing off the inside of the OCDC and creating a row?

bobbygedd
04-07-2005, 02:59 PM
run leaves over twice while side discharging. go over once with catcher. make another pass without catcher.

marko
04-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Thank you Bobby

bobbygedd
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
you see, you think you're gonna get that "vacuumed clean " look by using the catcher. but it's just the opposite. the last pass should be made with no catcher and grind those crumbs up to dust. meg's have saved me litterally thousands in disposal in only the short time i've had them

lawnandplow42
04-07-2005, 04:22 PM
or blow the leafs and carry them away