PDA

View Full Version : Your guy's experiences with Renters

KINGjosh
04-07-2005, 05:05 PM
All my experiences with rental properties have all turned the same. They never pay on time. Always biiitchen, and expect everything for nothing. I started to lean towards not doing them at all. Do you think its rude to ask if they rent or own? Now on the other hand I do have a couple of accounts that the owner of the property pays me, and that works out fine. Nothing against renters but their not for me!

marko
04-07-2005, 05:20 PM
See if your county has a website with property info. Most don't, but some will have a search by name feature or list the owners name. If they except your quote go home and do the research. If they are a renter, require payment up front or credit card only. Another option is to work it in on your interview/initial contact ie. how long have you lived here? Rent or own?. Then if you have a bad feeling, do some research.

marko
04-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Like this site: http://www.bcpa.net/index.cfm?page=search

out4now
04-07-2005, 05:37 PM
You're working for the renter? Find out who the landlord is and get a steady account out of it. Used to know a guy that had a few properties like that he mowed. His service was figured into the rent already each month. jmy.02

KINGjosh
04-07-2005, 06:05 PM
You're working for the renter? Find out who the landlord is and get a steady account out of it. Used to know a guy that had a few properties like that he mowed. His service was figured into the rent already each month. jmy.02

Yeah, I also have landlords that i deal with, but some landlords don't include it in the rent price.

Marko, thanks for that site.

Todd's lawncare
04-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Some land lords dont what to deal with it. So you can't do that all the time.
But i do alot almost all i do is for renters and i don't have any problems getting paid

KINGjosh
04-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Some land lords dont what to deal with it. So you can't do that all the time.
But i do alot almost all i do is for renters and i don't have any problems getting paid

How much is it for a typical 3/2 to rent up there?
Where I work it is $2,000-2,500 for a typical 3/2 to rent, which probably explains a good reason why their always late with payment.

Todd's lawncare
04-07-2005, 06:30 PM
How much is it for a typical 3/2 to rent up there?
Where I work it is $2,000-2,500 for a typical 3/2 to rent, which probably explains a good reason why their always late with payment.
That's almost half of what you can buy them for here

KINGjosh
04-07-2005, 06:33 PM
You mean you can buy a house for $6,000 out right up there?

Rhett
04-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Still have a few of them left from the first year. Do not deal with them any more. Late payers, want crap for free, do not pick up the property ever. Nope don't want them can't use them.

cbelawn
04-07-2005, 08:01 PM
the only time i did not get paid was a renter, moved ! can't find! never again. peace

KINGjosh
04-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I have went as far as tracking the former tenant all the way to California to collect. This A-holes bills before he took off was $245. He didn't tell me he was moving or anything,So I come about 2 weeks later to do the grass. No cars in the driveway, no trash in the yard, no patio furniture. The F-er high tailed to California without givin notice. So anyways, I do alot of work for the landlord whenever someone moves out. I had the landlord give me his new address. So I mailed this prick some falty azz letter from a fake azz attorney and scared the payment out of him.

After that I have never treated them the same.

Todd's lawncare
04-08-2005, 12:04 AM
You mean you can buy a house for $6,000 out right up there?
Thats what i mean .

tx_angler
04-08-2005, 12:17 AM
All my experiences with rental properties have all turned the same. They never pay on time. Always biiitchen, and expect everything for nothing. I started to lean towards not doing them at all. Do you think its rude to ask if they rent or own? Now on the other hand I do have a couple of accounts that the owner of the property pays me, and that works out fine. Nothing against renters but their not for me!

Here's your link to the County Tax Records:

http://brevardtaxcollector.governmaxa.com/collectmax/search_collect.asp?l_nm=streetaddress&form=searchform&formelement=0&sid=32524C920805483CAD318D019BFBA163

hp8125
04-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Funny thing is I rent my house, my landlord is a a customer and I have never had a problem with renters, must be a MI thing, I dont know. payup

hp8125
04-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Sound similar though to the problems I have had in my early days with trailer park accounts. I will never do one of those again, not that I need to now lol

PMLAWN
04-08-2005, 03:54 AM
I do a lot of renters and do not have any problem. But I believe that a lot have to do with the type of client as most of mine are moving into the area for a new job. The nice part of it is that most of the time when these people get their permanent home I will most likely get that account.

Do as the landlord does-1st and last months payment

Scottish LScape
04-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Still have a few of them left from the first year. Do not deal with them any more. Late payers, want crap for free, do not pick up the property ever. Nope don't want them can't use them.
Collected my last 2 payments from renters (had four this past year, next to real customers) in March from their security deposit from the landlords. Will never deal with them again. I ask, is this your summer home or are you a renter.

bignamelawncare
08-04-2010, 02:07 PM
RENTERS SUCK!!!!!! If they out right say they are a "renter". I make up an excuse why we can't cut their yard. You don't have a leg to stand on with them. If they leave, you're more than likely S.O.L. My wife is a realtor, she can look up the tax records to find out who owns the house. Find a realtor and ask them a favor, they'll look it up for you.

MarcSmith
08-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I had a few issues with renters (had ot take one to court to garnish her wages, but as others have said...go talk to the landlord. and see if the landlord is willing to get billed for the job and then adjust their rent accordingly. Remind the landlord that property maintenance is a deducible expense. Chances are if he has multiple properties you could get those as well, and maybe throw him a bone and cut his home for free : )

You have to remember that the renter is not an authorized agent for the landlord so any contract are between you and the tenant and have no bearing on the property for the purposes of liens and such.

georgiagrass
08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Our Service Agreement has a block to check if the customer is a renter or an owner. We have had a few renters skip out on us over the years, with varying results on whether we ever caught up with them and collected.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I have one that is a bi-weekly and I dont like doing it.

igotdiesel2
08-07-2010, 01:35 PM
This a bit off topic I know. I own rental property. When I get a renter I give them 2 payment options: one is with lawn care and the other is without it. I also set my renters up to pay me every 2 weeks straight out of their paychecks Direct Deposit sort of thing. I NEVER get late payments and if they are paying me for the lawn care that is a bonus. That is something you might look into even with the landowner. -Jason

clydebusa
08-07-2010, 10:33 PM
This a bit off topic I know. I own rental property. When I get a renter I give them 2 payment options: one is with lawn care and the other is without it. I also set my renters up to pay me every 2 weeks straight out of their paychecks Direct Deposit sort of thing. I NEVER get late payments and if they are paying me for the lawn care that is a bonus. That is something you might look into even with the landowner. -Jason

I have a few rentals and do the same thing. This is great because I am around the property a lot during the summer. I do the direct deposit, but 1 time a month, might consider twice a month.

igotdiesel2
08-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I have a few rentals and do the same thing. This is great because I am around the property a lot during the summer. I do the direct deposit, but 1 time a month, might consider twice a month.

Do every 2 weeks. That's 26 payments a year. Most people get paid every 2 weeks. That way it is out of their check before they can spend it. Plus it is easier on them they don't have to shell out one big payment once a month. -Jason

clydebusa
08-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Do every 2 weeks. That's 26 payments a year. Most people get paid every 2 weeks. That way it is out of their check before they can spend it. Plus it is easier on them they don't have to shell out one big payment once a month. -Jason

Talked with my wife on this last night, and I think we will move that way.
Thanks!

justanotherlawnguy
08-08-2010, 06:13 PM
renters blow!

rollinrock
09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Why not set up a monthly payment for renters?

Always have the pay upfront first before starting any work.

You could even offer to show them how to set up auto bill pay through their bank.

Just an idea.

stan the man
09-29-2010, 02:15 PM
i fall in that problem and home owner call bitching that rental place was not being mowed and i told him that they was not paying me so he starting paying me and the rental rent went up

Patriot Services
09-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Don't mind renters but they are on automatic prepay.:usflag:

fastlane
09-29-2010, 04:30 PM
I found out today that a costumer I've had for 21 years rents the house. On the other hand I started a home and lawn maintance company 35 years ago becuse the tenents of our family owed propities could not be trusted to do it themselves or pay someone to do it.

scagwildcat
10-03-2010, 07:59 AM
dont walk away,RUN! if a renter defaults on payment, you cant do anything about it, cant put a lien on the property, they move without telling you. most of the time if i give estimates at a multi family property, i come out and ask who the owner is. i dont contract with tennants at all, in the past i lost so much income trusting them, they are not all bad, but im not going to take that chance. i had one home owner move out of state for work, and he rented out his house for one year while he was gone, good guy, always paid on time, the renter, did not pay me, then the owner told me that he will not pay me because he takes money off the rent for the renter to pay for landscaping...the renter went and told the owner that i was not doing a good job, month later i drove by , took pictures of the 12 inch tall lawn, sent them to the owner, got paid ..

Patriot Services
10-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Pre-pay fixes any concerns about non-payers.Whether the renter or the owner pays is irrelevant.:usflag:

944own
10-08-2010, 04:53 PM
I cut for a guy that owns several townhouse communities, I cut the townhouses and he pays me until they rent then i have to go to the renters for payment most of them have been good so far. I have no houses that have renters that I cut.