PDA

View Full Version : buys at home depot in Michigan

cantoo
04-07-2005, 08:17 PM
I was in Michigan yesterday and noticed that Home Depot has a bunch of lawn stuff on clearance. I bought the large rolls of trimmer line for $5.00 regular $24.00 I picked up 5 rolls, it sells here for around $45.00. So it's off to the auction with it. There was a bunch of filters, blades and other stuff on sale to clear. Some of you might want to check it out if your close by.

Kickin Your Grass
04-07-2005, 08:25 PM
What kind of line? We buy Square magnum gator line .095 ---55.00 a 5lb roll

spoolinaround
04-07-2005, 11:10 PM
What kind of line? We buy Square magnum gator line .095 ---55.00 a 5lb roll
I picked up 3 sets of Honda tiller tines for $3.00 yesterday at the Toledo Ohio store, normally these are like $40 a set

Grassmechanic
04-08-2005, 07:52 AM
I was in Michigan yesterday and noticed that Home Depot has a bunch of lawn stuff on clearance. I bought the large rolls of trimmer line for $5.00 regular $24.00 I picked up 5 rolls, it sells here for around $45.00. So it's off to the auction with it. There was a bunch of filters, blades and other stuff on sale to clear. Some of you might want to check it out if your close by.
Now make sure you declare your purchases when you cross back over the border. You dont want to deny Canada or Ontario their "fair share" of taxes. payup

cantoo
04-08-2005, 11:32 PM
The line is Echo cross fire .095 and it's 850 feet long. I am usually in Michigan for a couple of days at a time so I don't have to pay duty anyway. Beside duty is only 8% peanuts. I buy a lot of my stuff in Michigan and claim it all, it's a write off. I once brought back a Stihl vac/blower and when I told the customs agent that it was used to vac grass he laughed and said get out of here. Saved me a few bucks on duty that time. I work in Michigan so it ain't worth it to try to smuggle anything, it would be hard to explain to my boss that his truck was seized by customs because I didn't declare $25.00 worth of trimmer line. I try to bring back my limit every trip I go over.

cantoo
04-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Grassmechanic, where are you from in Michigan? I need a licenced house Builder in a couple of areas. Romulus is one. I also need one in the Lake Orion and Ortonville area. Must be reliable and been in business for awhile.
I work here.
http://www.royalhomes.com/

greywynd
04-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Cantoo, Can you point me to a website that explains duty when you come back from the States? I've only drove over a couple of times, usually when I go it's by air. Wife and I bought an RV trailer last year, and are hoping to make it south at least a couple of times. I realize that with the exchange, etc. that you have to know prices on things to know if you're really saving money. (BTW, don't know how long you've worked for Royal, but, I live about 2 miles from the plant they had just outside of Peterborough)

I'm also looking for help regarding the propane tanks on our trailer, I've been told that you have to have Overflow Protection Device tanks in the states, does anyone know if this is to get them filled, or whether it's just to travel with them? Maybe someone can refer me to a site that has more details on this?

Thanks,
Mark

spoolinaround
04-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Cantoo, Can you point me to a website that explains duty when you come back from the States? I've only drove over a couple of times, usually when I go it's by air. Wife and I bought an RV trailer last year, and are hoping to make it south at least a couple of times. I realize that with the exchange, etc. that you have to know prices on things to know if you're really saving money. (BTW, don't know how long you've worked for Royal, but, I live about 2 miles from the plant they had just outside of Peterborough)

I'm also looking for help regarding the propane tanks on our trailer, I've been told that you have to have Overflow Protection Device tanks in the states, does anyone know if this is to get them filled, or whether it's just to travel with them? Maybe someone can refer me to a site that has more details on this?

Thanks,
Mark
it is a overFILL protection device OPD
s for short, that is only for michigan and Ohio and if your tank dosent have them then you cnat get a fill in michigan or Ohio, it dosent make them illegal

www.irv2.net

cantoo
04-09-2005, 09:20 PM
greywynd, the site is here.
http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=canadaonline&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca%2FE%2Fpub%2Fcp%2Frc4044%2Frc4044-e.html
I have never had a problem bringing stuff back. Even if you have to pay duty it's not much.
I've been with Royal for almost 20 years. I was planning on goibg to Perterbrough when we opened the factory however the Plant Manager was alot undeerqualified in my opinion so I stayed here. I just finished a term as Plant Manager here in Wingham and am working in Michigan selling houses now. Working everyday was interfering with my auction buying habits so I made some changes.

greywynd
04-09-2005, 09:32 PM
it is a overFILL protection device OPD
s for short, that is only for michigan and Ohio and if your tank dosent have them then you cnat get a fill in michigan or Ohio, it dosent make them illegal

www.irv2.net

Oops, if I'd reread my post, I might have caught that....I knew that, but we use the term overflow at work all the time (I'm a tool and die maker in a die casting shop) and I never even realized that I'd typed the wrong thing. Now, another question, I happened to grab a tank at the exchange place that has OPD cast into the knob on the valve, is that equipped with it? I think we may be staying in Ohio a couple days, it would just be nice to know that I can get at least one tank refilled if I need to. I'm hoping to upgrade my tanks to 30 lb tanks, I just used a couple extra 20's I had when I got the trailer, as there were no tanks with it. I priced 30's last year with OPD, and I think they were almost $100 each up here, plus purge and fill.....I thought that seemed a little pricey, but I never got a chance to call around further, just the one place.

Mark

greywynd
04-09-2005, 09:52 PM
greywynd, the site is here.
http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=canadaonline&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca%2FE%2Fpub%2Fcp%2Frc4044%2Frc4044-e.html
I have never had a problem bringing stuff back. Even if you have to pay duty it's not much.
I've been with Royal for almost 20 years. I was planning on goibg to Perterbrough when we opened the factory however the Plant Manager was alot undeerqualified in my opinion so I stayed here. I just finished a term as Plant Manager here in Wingham and am working in Michigan selling houses now. Working everyday was interfering with my auction buying habits so I made some changes.

Seems like the last few times that I got stuff it was through the couriers, and the ones that love to 'ding' you for the brokerage fees. I realize it's not usually that bad a price to pay, and that you also have exemptions depending on your length of stay, but, as I suspected, they have changed since I was last over the border. Also, the irv2.net site that spoolinaround looks like a good site to hang around and ask some questions.

I guess the main thing that I was looking for is the 'do's and don'ts' of the border, particularly with an RV....don't feel like causing myself 'or the family' unnecessary problems, we want things to be fun when we go. (We have Jack Russell Terriers, we are hoping/planning to go down for a couple of large shows, they will be 'stressful' enough without border hassles)

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

spoolinaround
04-10-2005, 01:43 AM
if you need some 30's with the OPD installed let me know, I know where to get them for $50 + 15 for the fill