PDA

View Full Version : RedMax 2 cycle oil question

NEUSWEDE
04-07-2005, 09:28 PM
This might come off as a lame question but here it goes, I got a Red Max line trimmer and just got the 7001 blower and want them to last, do I need to use the Red Max 2 cycle oil because it is made for the machine or can I use any 2 cycle? I ask this because I know that redmax is very fuel efficient and wondered if maybe the results are based on using Redmax 2 cycle oil.

Thanks in advance

LB Landscaping
04-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey D, I use Husqvarna mix, in all my stuff, never had any issues.

Spirit Lanwcare
04-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Use a good quality oil from Echo, Husky, Redmax..

Don't buy the cheap stuff from Wally World etc. The new emmissions units won't take crappy oil...you'll trash your equipment

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-08-2005, 12:26 AM
I actually use Stihl 50:1 mix, pretty decent stuff as well.

craglawnmanor
04-08-2005, 01:32 AM
I've been using the Stihl 50:1 mix in my Stihl and Echo stuff, but I've been thinking about getting some Opti-2 mix, partly because I've got a few other pieces of equipment that I use from time to time (Poulan-40:1, Homelite 32:1,....and my son's go kart with a 24:1 2-stroke engine). I'm guessing I could cut down on the number of gas cans by using Opti-2. There seem to be a number of positive comments about Opti-2 on Lawnsite.

Soupy
04-08-2005, 01:42 AM
I always used polan pro synthetic oil or ace brand because the helpful ace hardware store is very close to me and that is what they sell. I recently switched to Mobil mx2t that I heard good things about from an oil forum. It can be found at AutoZone etc for a decent price. My Trimmers and Blowers seem to love this stuff. The older equipment was running a little rough and everyday they are showing improvements. I don't have long term experience with this product but it seems like a winner. I did hear not to use in lawn mowers or other 2 cycle equipment that run at a steady RPM. something to do with ash in the oil or something.

tx_angler
04-08-2005, 01:54 AM
We've been running Opti-2 in all our RedMax trimmers (both 40:1 & 50:1) for about two years with no problems. We also use it in the Hover mower (25:1) and the chain saws (32:1) There's only one 2-clcle fuel can on the trailer, so it's pretty hard to put te wrong fuel mix in the machine.

captken
04-08-2005, 02:01 AM
I have used opti-2 oil in the past. It is good. They say it runs cleaner. I cannot tell. I am now using Red Max oil. Why? It is cheap, good as any, and I bought a lot of it. Enough to last the year. You think the price of gasoline is high, just wait till the trickle down gets to motor oils. It will increase just as much as gasoline has. Buy enough to get you through the season now. Besides, I like the little bottles. The pump on the opti-2 was a pita to keep up with and use with the gallon jugs I bought.
kenny

Oldtimer
04-09-2005, 12:14 AM
A few years ago you could buy Max Oil which was Opti 2. I have been using Opti 2 since 1983 when Echo used it as their branded oil. We called it Skoal oil because it was smokeless.

The only real difference in the branded 50.1 oil is each manufacturer's additive package.

captken
04-09-2005, 12:19 AM
A few years ago you could buy Max Oil which was Opti 2. I have been using Opti 2 since 1983 when Echo used it as their branded oil. We called it Skoal oil because it was smokeless.

The only real difference in the branded 50.1 oil is each manufacturer's additive package.

And I believe him.

leeslawncare
04-09-2005, 12:27 AM
I've been buying my oil in bulk for years ..pensoil 2 cycle by the gallon .I only run reddmaxx machines an they run fine !

jwl5510
04-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Ck the mix ratio
Homlite 32-1
Stihl 50-1

Ruined Homelite running 50-1 stihl mix

Mower For Less
04-09-2005, 01:48 AM
I run RedMax oil in all my lawn equipment (redmax, shindaiwa, stihl) mainly because it is the cheapest of all the name brand oils (compared to shindaiwa,stihl,and opti-2) that I have found so far, and no problems with it in any of the equipment. And I to like the pre-measured bottles as well.

Kevin

Mower Man
04-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Old Timer,
Thanks for a good laugh......'Skoal oil' because it's smokeless!!!!!!!

Engine makers don't set oil ratios, oil formula blenders do.
Don't be afraid of 50:1.
Many newer Low Emission (LE) engines are factored using it, and richer ratios can reduce performance levels, including premature carbonization of cylinder exhaust ports, muffler coating, and spark arrestor blockage.

Many makers have been putting in the warranties these oil specs:
JASO/FC,
or
ISO/EGD
If not used warranties can-will be voided by some makers. Those specs are there for a reason.
DOLmar, Echo, Husqvarna, Red Max, Shindaiwa, Stihl, all have good quality oils that can be interchanged w/o problems.
Optimol Opti 2 is a very good lube. Bottle mix ratio is 100:1, packets are 72:1.
Packets are a much safer way to mix for margin of human error.

Any oil having those specs will work in all the modern AIR cooled two strokes.

Recently collected oils from Sears & Breakdown (Crapsman), Wally World (Wal Mart), and Low Ballers(Lowes). Not one of the 'house brands', Stens, Arnolds, had those specs on them, and usage can void some warranties.