PDA

View Full Version : Honda 4stroke Edger

smittie1984
04-07-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm looking into getting an edger. I'm starting my company up. I have a Pressure Washing company now but want to expand into lawncare. Hopefuly it will give me a more steady paycheck. I just bought a Redmax weedeater and was looking at the Honda 4strokes.

I know the Honda 4strokes are brand new but wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with them. I got to test out the Honda trimmer and it was pretty nice. But wanted to know how a 4stroke edger would be. I think it would be great because of the extra torque. Also I am a Diehard Honda man now. I always try to get Honda when I can.

If not the Honda 4stroke what are some other edgers that would be decent. I'm looking at an edger from Home Depot that runs about $220. Here is the link. (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0002542726.1112919778@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdladdefljghkmcgelceffdfgidgkk.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+5234&pos=n20)

I have been trying to go around to some pawn shops looking for a decent edger that would get me by. But I've become disappointed in the local theives lately. They have only been stealing Homelites and other junk brands. I was hoping they would have the dignity to steal atleast something of more value. :rolleyes:

But anyways any help is appreciated.

quiet
04-07-2005, 10:33 PM
The Honda Edger is excellent. Smooth, quiet, very powerful, but heavy.

Spirit Lanwcare
04-07-2005, 11:17 PM
The 4 cycle/4 mix equipment is heavy and there is more maintenance issues etc.

Stick with a quality 2 cycle stick edger!

Madstriper
04-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Are you looking at that McLane from Home Depot?
Thats the only one I would buy from there, other than the Echo stick.
I work at HD, but had been in the equipment business for about 12 years.
We had the same edger for the rental store, lasted forever, except after a
year or two we had to put another engine on it, and yes.........we used
a honda this time. It lasted all the rental customers abuse just fine, but
when the bobcat T190 ran over it, we decided not to use it anymore.

Envy Lawn Service
04-08-2005, 12:33 AM
You know, it's funny, when it comes to ANYTHING ELSE nobody wants a 2 stroke anything. Why? Because nodody wants to deal with the maintenance and unreliability.

But when it comes to this site and hand held equipment, every time the issue of 4 cycle hand helds comes up.... somebody has to say, you don't want that because there are more maintenance issues to deal with....... (?????)

Anyways, Honda makes great stuff and a 4 cycle would be even better for a stick edger. When things get a little hairy, you'll have extra torque to get the job done.

Spirit Lanwcare
04-08-2005, 08:07 AM
You know, it's funny, when it comes to ANYTHING ELSE nobody wants a 2 stroke anything. Why? Because nodody wants to deal with the maintenance and unreliability.

But when it comes to this site and hand held equipment, every time the issue of 4 cycle hand helds comes up.... somebody has to say, you don't want that because there are more maintenance issues to deal with....... (?????)

Anyways, Honda makes great stuff and a 4 cycle would be even better for a stick edger. When things get a little hairy, you'll have extra torque to get the job done.

Maintenance and unreliability of 2 strokes?

What are you...high?? 2 cycle engines are virtually maintenance free and last a long time if taken care of!

I have run 2 stroke equipment for years with no troubles and almost no maintenance at all. I have trimmers and blowers (all 2 cycle) that I have had for years and they are still going strong. All I ever do is change the air filter and spark plugs and use good gas and oil.

The reason some manufacturers are abandoning 2 strokes is they can't get their engines past EPA emmissions!

smittie1984
04-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I figured for an edger where you'll be hitting dirt, roots, and other junk a 4stroke might have an advantage because of the extra torque. For a weedeater I think a 2stroke would be good because you want that high RPMs. Unless those 4strokes have some sort of gearing in them.

I haven't been able to find any good Pawn Shop edgers so I think I'm going to save the extra money up and get a Honda 4 stroke edger. That way I know I don't have to buy another one for about 100 years.

Thanks for the input.