PDA

View Full Version : Is ecs on exmark worth an extra $200

Benchmark
04-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I can get a toro 32" wb with t-bar for $2299, or I can get an exmark 32" wb with ecs controls for $2499. Is the emark worth it? Will I get more control with ecs (sharper turns, more manuverability etc.)

Appalachian landscape
04-07-2005, 10:37 PM
I think it's worth it. Test drive both and see which one you like better. I like the ecs better than the t-bar, I don't like to have to make the mower go by pressing constantly on a bar. I like to just be able to let it go and guide it.

bushtrimmer
04-07-2005, 10:40 PM
I can get a toro 32" wb with t-bar for $2299, or I can get an exmark 32" wb with ecs controls for $2499. Is the emark worth it? Will I get more control with ecs (sharper turns, more manuverability etc.)
It's worth it to me! Never been a fan of tbars, but to be honest, I've never given them much of a chance. ecs or tbar isn't going to improve manuverability or sharper turns. There's only so hard you can apply brakes and let the other wheel turn, the controls aren't going to make a difference. If you want manuverability you need to get a hydro. Once you buy one, you won't buy another belt drive.

dvmcmrhp52
04-07-2005, 11:44 PM

As was stated, the ecs controls won't change maneuverability, they are just more comfortable and ergonomically correct than the old grip style.

lawncare4u
04-07-2005, 11:46 PM
I sure believe it;s worht the xtra $

MacLawnCo
04-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Tbar is the only way to go on a belt machine. Try it and youll agree.

Tider6972
04-08-2005, 02:22 AM
The deck is the more important issue here, because whichever controls you personally prefer, the mower is still a belt drive with it's inherent deficits.

What are the decks? You're not gonna find a lot of supporters here for a "Recycler" or "SFS" deck. Some of the Toros used the 'eXmark style' deck though, and then you're back to controls!

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 02:29 AM
I thought the Exmarks were a little over priced until I bought one. The ECS controls are great and the quality of cut is exellent. Well worth the extra money.

hp8125
04-08-2005, 03:16 AM
Just curious MACLAWNCO, You do outrank me in seniority on this forum so I mean no disrespect but could you explain why you think the T bar is better. I have the ECS on both my Metros and I have about 5 years experience with walkbehinds alone, I have used every type of control on a walkbehind and have found no better setup than the ECS; not including hydros. This is all personal prefence of course so I wont try to sell you my personal opinion but just wanted to know.

KathysLGC
04-08-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm 50/50. I think they're ok. Worth $200 extra?... depends if you want to spend it. It's about preference. I started using the ECS controls last year going from pistol grips. What i like is your arms are closer together. It's easier to lift the front end up with pistol grips. You gotta try both and see what you like.

Mower For Less
04-08-2005, 11:41 AM
One thing the ECS will give you is better manuverability around trees and fences during turns. You can swing the back end of the mower in tighter around obstacles without bashing the pistol grip into it, the ECS controls will clear it.

And yes, once I tried it, I was hooked, I absolutely cannot turn back away from them. I even paid $1000 more for a hydro with ECS vs. a Pistol Grip machine from Gravely.

Kevin

MTR
04-08-2005, 01:38 PM

You are talking belt system? ECS is more comfortable...but regardless, it is belt so it is no good.
I am sure that ECS /twin hydro system is the best control system in WB market, especially running sulky. I run 52 TTHP with ECS and I run 8 hrs a day without feeling hurt or sored on my whole upperbody, and wrists. I could not do that 8 hrs with pistol belt system, it was killing me. Another system worth getting is Quad bar by Stander, it rocks.
Answer, yes, :gunsfirin ECS is king.