PDA

View Full Version : My Body Is Killing Me!

aries
04-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Well after 2 weeks of clean ups I thought it would get better but NO! I am hurting all over from doing clean ups when will it stop, how you guy's feeling.

Lawn-Scapes
04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
One word....... Ibuprofen :)

Spent the last three days installing 38 yards of mulch. Ibuprofen will be a regular part of my diet for the next week or so.

lawnguyland
04-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Owwwwcha. I feel your pain and mine too. Stupid pain. Pain will dissipate as soon as I do my invoices for April.

cochino12
04-07-2005, 11:00 PM
I feel the same, and to make it worse I just hate doing cleanups. At least I have 12 aerate jobs scheduled tomorrow, that should make me feel better. :confused: payup

Appalachian landscape
04-08-2005, 12:05 AM
My right arm... :( Why can't there be a left handed blower, so you can switch hands every once in a while?

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 01:22 AM
I feel it, too. Guess I'm just getting old. Ibuprophen has become a good friend.

MOW ED
04-08-2005, 05:41 AM
I am there with ya also. The first day I decided to fertilize so I walked about 3 acres. Like my man said above, it only hurts til you start looking at the invoices.
I will stay in better shape next winter.

grass_cuttin_fool
04-08-2005, 06:05 AM
This was my 1st week of regular mowing, and i fell it toooooooo, lol it will get better

HOMER
04-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Been working out for the last year or so. Feel better at 43 than I ever did at 23. Ya'll get in a gym and start taking care of yourselves. Benefits outweigh the cost and time spent. My legs were always the first thing to give out, so far they have held up well. We'll see when the humidity gets around 90% though.

tfilbert
04-08-2005, 06:13 AM
100 yds of mulch Monday, 2 clean-ups on Tuesday, mowing, trimming, edging, yup I'm hurting a bunch. It all turns green on invoice day. LOL
Tim

Equipguy
04-08-2005, 06:30 AM
I enjoy the pain because it feels so good when it stops :laugh:

bobbygedd
04-08-2005, 07:49 AM
no pain, no gain. the worse thing is the imobility during the winter, you have to work out, keep moving. the trick is, i don't stay sober long enough to feel actual pain. i managed to tack 20 lbs onto my buttocks over the winter. lost 7 of it already. at this rate i'll be 120 by june. keep movin it gets better. shoes, you have to have comfortable shoes

Something D
04-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I bought a SCAG w/b in December and have been using it the last two weeks. My forearms are shot. If I make it to the end of the year with this scag I will look like Popeye. My forearms will be bigger than my legs. I tell you what the SCAG will flat out kill you. Never owned a W/b before. Should be a fun year.

rodfather
04-08-2005, 08:19 AM
One word....... Ibuprofen :)

I make an appointment with the good Dr. Smirnoff instead LOL...

Shuter
04-08-2005, 08:58 AM
I usually find muscles that I have not felt since last summer. The pain goes away aftera few days. This season I am feeling it in my knees.

nriddle77
04-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Ibuprofen, ice for the back and the occasional rainy day helps too.

sheshovel
04-08-2005, 02:02 PM
If you stretch out before you start it helps alot too.Let your muscles know that you are intending to do some work now and warm them up.I do a truck stretch and a trailer stretch.and hop around a bit before I get started,it makes you less sore(don't do it where the whole neighborhood can see ya )they'll think your nuts,and that I am.
Another thing thats really important when your doing close work is to look way away and off in the distance every 20min or so or after awhile it will mess with your seeing.And everybody knows people in our line of work have a very high rate or Minacular Degeneration
so wear only 100%uv rated wrap around shades and were them all the time outside in summer.

GreenMonster
04-08-2005, 02:13 PM
I find it helps to hire people to do the manual labor. Although, my throat gets very sore when I'm sitting in the cab of the truck barking orders.

Kate Butler
04-08-2005, 02:16 PM
One of the things we should all do as part of our "downtime" (winter, for me) is get our eyes checked. Not just for macular degeneration, but for other changes. If you already wear glasses, you know how important keeping your lens prescriptions up to date is - nobody wants to work with a blinding headache. And a big second to polarized/uv rated sunglasses AND #40 sunscreen. If you sweat the sunscreen off, keep putting it on: better the aggravation than melanoma.

justgeorge
04-08-2005, 04:06 PM
My right arm... :( Why can't there be a left handed blower, so you can switch hands every once in a while?
Strap it on your chest and walk backward..... :D

QualityLawnCare4u
04-08-2005, 04:10 PM
After doing a rock intall and sevaral shrubbery jobs I hurt all over! There is a big difference in 25 and 45.

jpp
04-08-2005, 07:17 PM
First week of mowing here and did about half of my customers. My feet are Killing me. Sort of glad I did not have to cut them all. Work my way back into it. Back and neck hurt from mulching and carrying the backpack. Dang I wish I was 18 again. :laugh:

Woody82986
04-08-2005, 07:23 PM
I kind of saved myself from the first week aches. I started working out and running every day about 6 weeks ago to get back in shape. I now run 2.5 miles in the morning and work out in the afternoon or evening. It pays to keep in shape guys.

captken
04-08-2005, 09:07 PM
I find it helps to hire people to do the manual labor. Although, my throat gets very sore when I'm sitting in the cab of the truck barking orders.

We never stop, year round. Landscaping and cleanups until late Spring, Then there is sod installation....and spraying, [lawn applications] I make more money doing these jobs and the mowing is becoming secondary. [I am learning this business] We only stop when its too wet. I like mowing, but the real money is the extras. I have 1 full time year round employee, who earns his perks. He gets the perks because he knows what to do, is easy to get along with, and I am getting older....he is willing do those things that I don't want to do anymore. I always treat my employees like I want to be treated. I have 2 employees in the Summer. My goal is supervision. And....

I can be very effective at running a crew...lol....and I never bark orders.... now. Period. On the old job, I did, because I didn't want to be responsible for screw ups and make the "Nightly News"....[I have been involved in high profile incidents]...not my fault....and Lawn mowing really ain't in the same league....

nitrotim
04-08-2005, 09:36 PM
LOL. I am laughing because I didn't want to tell anybody how much my muscles ached especially since my wife asked me what happened to the advil. Its been getting better though. ( I think or is it just because my buisness account has been getting alot more deposits lately).

jfenton
04-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Gotta agree withh Homer. I'm 52, do Tae Kwon Do all year, and gym in the winter when I have more time. Alittle pain on the left shoulder from the blower, otherwise 100%.