PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

lawnwizards
04-07-2005, 10:32 PM
o.k. you have a great customer. weekly customer who always pays on time. the problem is she is a widow and her neighbor seems to think that he should do her a favor and cuts her lawn about once a month. knows you are the lawncare provider. what do you do?

jtkplc
04-07-2005, 10:39 PM
If it were me, I would tell my customer that she needs to decide if you're going to cut her lawn or her neighbor.

Eddie B
04-07-2005, 10:55 PM
If I arrive at a lawn and it's already been cut, I cut it again and charge. I'm not wasting a trip and NOT getting paid for it. I've been contracted by the customer, and I will follow that accordingly. I'd also inform the customer about the other guy. Its not your responsibility to jump on the neighbors.

lawnwizards
04-07-2005, 11:27 PM
hell, thought for sure you guys would have more opinions on this subject by now... everyone has experienced this or knows someone who has.

gotgreen?
04-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Has not happened to me but agree with Ed Bailey.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-07-2005, 11:39 PM
I would just let the lady know that it causes issues with you doing the lawn and you have to charge regardless if he does it or not and leave it at that.

lawn_pro
04-07-2005, 11:42 PM
If I arrive at a lawn and it's already been cut, I cut it again and charge. I'm not wasting a trip and NOT getting paid for it. I've been contracted by the customer, and I will follow that accordingly. I'd also inform the customer about the other guy. Its not your responsibility to jump on the neighbors.

Weekly or nothing....We have had this happen with snow removal....show up and the property is done..glance over next door and the nieghbor is putting his new toro away....if we take the time to drive over, the customer is still going to pay. Doesn't matter if the grass is not growing or if some friendly nieghbor is trying to "just trying to help out".

hp8125
04-08-2005, 01:32 AM
When that happens to me, and it has only twice, I focus my time and energy on other customers and leave the customer to their new source of outdoor labor. I dont mess around with this type of situation. Time wasted, GAS WASTED going to their location. About 50% of my customers were referrals and I can always run another ad. Losing the occasional rude customer will not hurt me; at least it hasn't yet.:nono:

Envy Lawn Service
04-08-2005, 04:39 AM
I've had something similar happen and I've also had customers who would get a wild hair and mow it themselves every now and then, expecting a discount off the contract payment.

This sort of situation is always more aggravation than it is worth to me. So I always confront the customer respectfully and honestly. I am as nice as possible, but very honest about the issues I have with it. I explain everything to the customer and to make a long story short, either I am the one cutting the grass, or I'm not. No other option is feasible.

Either way.... problem solved.