PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Mantis - 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine?

JROD
04-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Hello,
I recently tried out a mini-tiller and was very impressed with the results. The unit I used was the Craftsman, so i'm sure the Craftsman won't even compare to the Mantis. We have clay soil around here but the unit still worked very well.

I have had many requests for small jobs and the Mantis is what I need. My question is, Should I go with the 2-stroke Mantis tiller or the 4-Stroke w/ the Honda engine?

I have searched many of the posts and found many useful posts about the different brands of mini-tillers but did not see anything directly related to the 2 and 4 stroke engines. Any opinions would be appreciated.

vipermanz
04-08-2005, 12:53 AM
go with the two stroke, you get more torque. i love mine

captken
04-08-2005, 01:13 AM
The Honda 4 cycle has more torque than Mantis 2 cycle. The Honda is quieter. Does a good job.
The 2 cycle Mantis tiller [with its tines and higher rpm advantage] will dig circles around the Honda.
The Mantis 2 cycle is twice as productive, due to the increased rpm's and the tine design.
fact.
kenny.

spoolinaround
04-08-2005, 01:30 AM
The Honda 4 cycle has more torque than Mantis 2 cycle. The Honda is quieter. Does a good job.
The 2 cycle Mantis tiller [with its tines and higher rpm advantage] will dig circles around the Honda.
The Mantis 2 cycle is twice as productive, due to the increased rpm's and the tine design.
fact.
kenny.
I have a set of digging tines for my Honda, it makes it as fast as the mantis

GarPA
04-08-2005, 03:02 AM
4 stroke...hands down...the Honda 4 stroke is the easiest machine to start you will ever have. Pound for pound its the most productive and useful machine we own. All kinds of uses that will save you enormous amounts of time on different landscape tasks...buy the kickstand for it as its a pita to stand up without the stand

tonygreek
04-08-2005, 09:19 AM
i recently bought the honda f100 mini-tiller with the 4 stroke. it is now my favorite piece of equipment. check your local home depot and see if they might have any left (closeout for the 110 now in stock). i paid $150 per for my 2.

that engine is awesome and amazingly quiet.

gunner27
04-08-2005, 09:50 PM
I bought the echo mini tiller which is exactly the same as the mantis. They are the same machine. I love mine, can't believe I have been doing jobs this long without one. My thread on this got moved real quick for some reason. Maybee the moderators could clarify what commercial lawn care or the other threads should involve. To me, doesn't seem consistant.

LLandscaping
04-08-2005, 10:19 PM
We have a 2-stroke Mantis, it is a great tiller for small flower bed. I have no experience with the 4-stroke, but would recommend the 2-stroke Mantis

The LawnSmith
04-08-2005, 10:19 PM
I have the Mantis 2-stroke. It has a good 5 years of use on it and runs like a top. High RPMs and although very lightweight, digs deep and fast. It's great for flower beds and weeding tight garden areas. I have heard that the 4-stroke is a lot quieter. The 2- stroke is louder than my string trimmers, but cut and dry.....it works very well.

Spirit Lanwcare
04-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Go with the Echo mini tiller.

Same basic unit as the Mantis but with better handles that last longer without breaking/bending!

JROD
04-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks much!

I went ahead and bought the Mantis 2-Stoke. Mainly because I have the option of the 4-month equal payment plan. I also went ahead and ordered the edger attachment where you switch engines between the tiller frame and the edger frame. I'm anxious to see how the edger attachement works.

These Mantis machines are awesome. I have used the craftsman on 2-jobs and made good money on the jobs. It will make its money back after only a couple of jobs and it will keep me from having to do so much manual labor.

gunner27
04-08-2005, 10:33 PM
The Mantis and the Echo are the EXACT same tiller. Just differant colors. Mantis uses the echo engine on there tiller, Echo uses the Mantis tiller frame to put there engine on. Same tiller, just depends on what color you want.