PDA

View Full Version : economy or what???

Tim Louis
04-08-2005, 01:57 AM
Well it happened. Been in the part time business for 5 years and have never had to go looking for accounts they always found me. So this year I figure the same....wrong. Of 13 accounts two cant afford me anymore, one got laid off and is mowing with his craftsman that hasnt been started in two years, and I got lowballed by 25 bucks on an commercial that I've gotten for the last three years. The first three dont bother me so much cuz I know what hard times are like but the last one got me thinking on an account I was bidding at 125 someone actually wanted it bad enough to go to 100. This amazed me but what do you do or say, oh well. So hows it going for the rest of you?

SOMM
04-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Yeh they all got problems with $40+ 1/4 acres, $70+ 1/2 acres and $130+ full acres around here (loaded with obstacles or grades).

They'd "love" us if we saved reg gas costs by replacing our mowers for diesel mowers instead - that sunk into their juicy turf because of the added weight factor of most diesels.

rotflol

PMLAWN
04-08-2005, 04:03 AM
Yeh they all got problems with $40+ 1/4 acres, $70+ 1/2 acres and $130+ full acres around here (loaded with obstacles or grades).

They'd "love" us if we saved reg gas costs by replacing our mowers for diesel mowers instead - that sunk into their juicy turf because of the added weight factor of most diesels.

rotflol

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say.
As far as the diesel unit, the EFI and the diesel get about the same mileage

DennisF
04-08-2005, 06:56 AM
This business is going to get worse before it gets better. There are more and more people losing their jobs every day. High oil prices, government deficits and creative accounting by big business is beginning to kill the economy.

Get ready for a rough ride over the next 2 or 3 years. It looks to me like a recession is just around the corner. The administration wants you to believe everything is just fine with the economy, but the middle class and senior citizens aren't convinced. Bush should try to convince the people that have already lost their jobs to China and India that everything is fine.

The first thing that people eliminate when times get rough is entertainment and services.

sildoc
04-08-2005, 10:56 AM
I guess I am fortunate. With the influx of Californian Retirees Our economy here has improved. I have never landed over 30 new accounts in march and this year I have. I can't keep my phone from ringing. I would say more than ever people here are so busy that they do not want to take time to keep up on their yard work. I am almost 2 months behind in spring cleanups and probably will have to hire someone for the spring to help catch me up. I have started to turn some work down for the simple fact that I don't have the time to do it properly. That and I want at least 1 day off a week to work out all the soar muscles.

daveintoledo
04-08-2005, 11:25 AM
remember the elections, how the media was talking about more jobs lost in ohio then any other state.... in another thread i mentioned more factory closing related to the auto industry...... and ohio citizens voted for bush hahahahahahhahhahahaahahahhahahhahahaahahahhahahahaahahahaah :laugh:

when its all over and everyone is broke ill be polling the reactions to the performance of the new administration.... maybe other states are doing ok, and they love this administration,,, i see people loosing there jobs everyday... including me...

Trevors Lawn Care
04-08-2005, 11:31 AM
This business is going to get worse before it gets better. There are more and more people losing their jobs every day. High oil prices, government deficits and creative accounting by big business is beginning to kill the economy.

Get ready for a rough ride over the next 2 or 3 years. It looks to me like a recession is just around the corner. The administration wants you to believe everything is just fine with the economy, but the middle class and senior citizens aren't convinced. Bush should try to convince the people that have already lost their jobs to China and India that everything is fine.

The first thing that people eliminate when times get rough is entertainment and services.

Simply put, your an idiot, and have no clue what your talking about. Yes, job cuts are a concern. People have always lost jobs to foreign markets, and somehow recover. Same thing here, if people want to live the "american dream" they are just goin to have to become more innovative to make their money.

People blame gas prices for part of the "declining" economy. There is so much oil under Alaska we wont have to depent on those OPEC clowns. The U.S. is still far beyond any other country. We decided to use their oil instead of ours, and when they are out, start to use our own. When the entire world is depending on oil from OPEC, and we have our own oil, and our economy is going to boom way beyond any other economy.

There is no recession right around the corner. The US GDP for the third quarter of 04 increased 4 percent, and rose 3.8% in the 4th. Those are not signs of a recession. (By the way, GDP is Gross Domestic Product, or, a measuring stick of how the economy is doing).

New comers are what you have to worry about, not a declining economy.

I knew my choice of ECON as a major would pay of eventually, who knew it would be an internet lawnsite.

Trevor

ndunn
04-08-2005, 12:15 PM
i love it when people talk about the booming economy. You have a degree and you are mowing lawns dude. hmmm....

pagefault
04-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I know this won't make me too popular, but even our poor people are better off than most of the rest of the world. Maybe people would be less inclined to blow up our sh*t if we weren't determined to keep all of the jobs and all of the money over here. Every call center employee in India is one less potential suicide bomber, as I see it.

Don't get me wrong, I have great sympathy for those in our country who are struggling right now and I hope things turn around for them soon.

Remsen1
04-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Maybe people would be less inclined to blow up our sh*t if we weren't determined to keep all of the jobs and all of the money over here. Every call center employee in India is one less potential suicide bomber, as I see it.

Um sure. Maybe. ;)

Remsen1
04-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Simply put, your an idiot, and have no clue what your talking about. Yes, job cuts are a concern. People have always lost jobs to foreign markets, and somehow recover. Same thing here, if people want to live the "american dream" they are just goin to have to become more innovative to make their money.

People blame gas prices for part of the "declining" economy. There is so much oil under Alaska we wont have to depent on those OPEC clowns. The U.S. is still far beyond any other country. We decided to use their oil instead of ours, and when they are out, start to use our own. When the entire world is depending on oil from OPEC, and we have our own oil, and our economy is going to boom way beyond any other economy.

There is no recession right around the corner. The US GDP for the third quarter of 04 increased 4 percent, and rose 3.8% in the 4th. Those are not signs of a recession. (By the way, GDP is Gross Domestic Product, or, a measuring stick of how the economy is doing).

I knew my choice of ECON as a major would pay of eventually, who knew it would be an internet lawnsite.

Trevor

You're SO SMART!!! Thanks for setting us all straight. I can go paste a smile on my face now.

pagefault
04-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Um sure. Maybe. ;)

Many many times, people say that they would do anything for their family; for their children. It is a cliche to say that you would die for your loved ones. If someone had a gun pointed at your child, wife, mother, father, what would you do? Would you risk your life to save them? People do it all the time.

If you could not feed your family because there were no jobs and someone offered to take care of them financially if you blew yourself up, what would you do?

If they had been going hungry for years, what would you do?

If they had been going hungry for years and your religious belief was that this sort of suicide guaranteed you a spot in heaven, what would you do?

If they had been going hungry for years, your religious belief was that this sort of suicide guaranteed you a spot in heaven and this person wanted you to blow yourself up around the people who were hoarding all of the jobs and money, what would you do?

Not to mention all of the people that we are learning about who are not even intentionally becoming suicide bombers. Many of them think that they are being paid to do something else and when they drive their vehicle to the right place, it is blown up by terrorists behind them in another vehicle.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs came up in another thread and here it is again. It is amazing what people will do in order to satisfy the most basic needs of themselves and their families.

http://web.utk.edu/~gwynne/maslow.HTM

JSymons
04-08-2005, 01:27 PM

Trevor

I have been reading this site for a long time and Dennis is no idiot. If I needed a piece of equipment diagnosed, I can't think of anyone better.

He is entitled to his opinion, whether based on a degree or not. Yes the economy is rolling along, but there are serious imbalances in payments (check your exchange rate recently?) that are starting to drag on that same growth.

I also have an economics degree, and work in accounting all week. I am enough of an economist to know when to say that I don't know where things are headed. Anyone who says they know is kidding themselves..

Trevors Lawn Care
04-08-2005, 01:49 PM
i love it when people talk about the booming economy. You have a degree and you are mowing lawns dude. hmmm....

Never said I had a degree in ECON, I am in school now for it. I dont mow lawns, I run a Landscaping company. There is a difference, which one do you do?

Trevor

Trevors Lawn Care
04-08-2005, 01:52 PM
I have been reading this site for a long time and Dennis is no idiot. If I needed a piece of equipment diagnosed, I can't think of anyone better.

He is entitled to his opinion, whether based on a degree or not. Yes the economy is rolling along, but there are serious imbalances in payments (check your exchange rate recently?) that are starting to drag on that same growth.

I also have an economics degree, and work in accounting all week. I am enough of an economist to know when to say that I don't know where things are headed. Anyone who says they know is kidding themselves..

Anyone who says they know is kidding themselves.

Correct, my thread was just a vision of where we are going, there are to many variable to know, but with strategic planning, those visions and goals become reality.

Trevor

Remsen1
04-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Many many times, people say that they would do anything for their family; for their children. It is a cliche to say that you would die for your loved ones. If someone had a gun pointed at your child, wife, mother, father, what would you do? Would you risk your life to save them? People do it all the time.

If you could not feed your family because there were no jobs and someone offered to take care of them financially if you blew yourself up, what would you do?

If they had been going hungry for years and your religious belief was that this sort of suicide guaranteed you a spot in heaven, what would you do?

If they had been going hungry for years, your religious belief was that this sort of suicide guaranteed you a spot in heaven and this person wanted you to blow yourself up around the people who were hoarding all of the jobs and money, what would you do?

Not to mention all of the people that we are learning about who are not even intentionally becoming suicide bombers. Many of them think that they are being paid to do something else and when they drive their vehicle to the right place, it is blown up by terrorists behind them in another vehicle.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs came up in another thread and here it is again. It is amazing what people will do in order to satisfy the most basic needs of themselves and their families.

my opinion is still the same.... Um... Sure ;)

Do you think they would stop blowing themselves up if we sent them more jobs? More money? It is a fact that we already have been sending more jobs and more money to them and guess what they are doing? They are try to kill us more they ever have before.

pagefault
04-08-2005, 02:52 PM
You're entitled to your opinion and so am I.

Most of them ain't blowing themselves up for free. So yes, I believe that if they had work, there would be far fewer of them.

Just my opinion.

:blob4:

David Grass
04-08-2005, 04:26 PM

Trevor
There is only a small percentage of oil in Alaska per US needs, the likes of which we could leave there, and just get more efficient, instead of being complacent like Americans notoriously are.

ndunn
04-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Never said I had a degree in ECON, I am in school now for it. I dont mow lawns, I run a Landscaping company. There is a difference, which one do you do?

Trevor

I mow lawns. glad to hear you don't have a degree yet, it's not too late to switch to something useful.

PMLAWN
04-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Bummer, Today I had a job schedule to blow myself up for $125.00 and wouldn't you know it but some lowballer came and did it for $100.00

Lighten up guys. If we all just do our part to hold up the economy, that will help a lot.
I'm lucky as I am an old fart that will be close to death before our economy fails too much but you kids had better look at ways to support it and work at holding it together. For every dollar you spend, think of where that money is going and if it will help or hurt.

DennisF
04-08-2005, 05:38 PM

Trevor

You're the idiot. You're nothing more than a two bit, 18 year old, know nothing punk. Go back to school and learn decent spelling and grammar before you start lecturing about economics. You're still wet from birth...and don't know sh/t about economics.

Come back when you grow up sh/t head.

BOTURF
04-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks Dennis for saying exactly what i wanted to say , i was sitting here smoking reading everythink that smart A@# punk Trevor said and was thinking what i wanted to write and now i dont have to because you said it all , this dang admintration that we have in now is killing us

osc
04-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Trevor:
You are an idiot. The government really has you fooled. A college kid who knows everything.

dvmcmrhp52
04-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks Dennis for saying exactly what i wanted to say , i was sitting here smoking reading everythink that smart A@# punk Trevor said and was thinking what i wanted to write and now i dont have to because you said it all , this dang admintration that we have in now is killing us

The administration is killing us?
I doubt it.
If you all want to run around thinking the sky is falling go right ahead.
In the mean time we will continue to grow by giving customers what they want, Quality lawn care at a reasonable price.
$130/ acre is hardly reasonable, that's why a lot of you are losing business, people are NOT going to pay the lawn guy $100-$130/ hr. for cutting their grass.

How many people on this site would pay that kind of rate for ANYTHING in the service industry................

It will be a VERY short list I'm sure..................

Trevors Lawn Care
04-08-2005, 05:59 PM
You're the idiot. You're nothing more than a two bit, 18 year old, know nothing punk. Go back to school and learn decent spelling and grammar before you start lecturing about economics. You're still wet from birth...and don't know sh/t about economics.

Come back when you grow up sh/t head.

Yup your right....Its lawn boys like you that give us all a bad rep. The ones who didnt/couldnt go to college, so they resort to mowing lawns, not running a business. YOur nothing but another old guy who gets all pissy when someone says something he doesnt like to hear, then uses the age thing as his only weapon.

Props to you DennisF, you are the smart one, and yes, because your older, know everything. Come back when you get any education.

Trevor

Trevors Lawn Care
04-08-2005, 06:04 PM
The administration is killing us?
I doubt it.
If you all want to run around thinking the sky is falling go right ahead.
In the mean time we will continue to grow by giving customers what they want, Quality lawn care at a reasonable price.
$130/ acre is hardly reasonable, that's why a lot of you are losing business, people are NOT going to pay the lawn guy $100-$130/ hr. for cutting their grass.

How many people on this site would pay that kind of rate for ANYTHING in the service industry................

It will be a VERY short list I'm sure..................

Thank you,
Its the uneducated people who see something in the media and dont have what it takes to be a leader, so they point fingers, just like the media. They wouldnt know democrat over republican, just the fact that Bush is rep. so that means they are opposite of him, because the media says how terrible he is. These people have been followers their entire lives, and will continue to be followers until they die.

It is these people that make the threads "what is a scrub", or "lost another acct. to a lowballer", or "gas is killing me", or "Getting out of the business" Instead of getting over it and being innovative in their ways, they go to a internet site to whine and ***** to all of the people that are just like them.

DennisF, you are nothing, and not worth another typed word.

trevor

Trevors Lawn Care
04-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Trevor:
You are an idiot. The government really has you fooled. A college kid who knows everything.

Ya know what, I hate the GOVT. just as much as you do. And that i can guarantee. Just because i am more knowledgable about what is happening does not mean that the man has me fooled.

Trevor

DennisF
04-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Yup your right....Its lawn boys like you that give us all a bad rep. The ones who didnt/couldnt go to college, so they resort to mowing lawns, not running a business. YOur nothing but another old guy who gets all pissy when someone says something he doesnt like to hear, then uses the age thing as his only weapon.

Props to you DennisF, you are the smart one, and yes, because your older, know everything. Come back when you get any education.

Trevor

I have Bachelors in Computer Science from the University of Michigan (1993). But I got most of my education from the school of hard knocks and 32 years of building cars and trucks for General Motors. I cut grass part time in Michigan for 28 years before retiring and moving to the Sunshine State. Now I get to cut grass all the time.

Someday when you grow up and become a man, you'll understand something about economics and hard work. Hell... you might even get lucky and have the opportunity to get laid off or fired from a job and have to worry about how you'll feed your family. That's when economics begins sink in and you start thinking with a clear head. But at 18 years old and with a know it all attitude it's going to take a big chunk of your adult life just to find out how little you know.

BOTURF
04-08-2005, 06:19 PM
If You need a plumber or Ac/ heating contractor and you arent smart enough to do that work yourself , you sure would pay that rate with no questions asked because you have to have heat or freeze to death , what ya mean this adminstration isnt killing us tell me a few good things they have done to help us middle class people when it comes to republicans they arent for the middle class working people

dvmcmrhp52
04-08-2005, 07:00 PM
If You need a plumber or Ac/ heating contractor and you arent smart enough to do that work yourself , you sure would pay that rate with no questions asked because you have to have heat or freeze to death , what ya mean this adminstration isnt killing us tell me a few good things they have done to help us middle class people when it comes to republicans they arent for the middle class working people

You got a tax cut didn't you?
I did. So did millions of others........

The montra of how the Republicans are not for the middle class working folk is just plain tired and old. It no longer holds any water.

And by the way, I would NOT pay a plumber $130/ hr.

BOTURF
04-08-2005, 07:11 PM
If you needed him bad enough you would !!!! If you dont do your own plumbing , you very well may be paying him that if he dont break down his bid !!I bet when you bid something you dont break it down to the very fine points everytime and if you say you do you are lying.So i guess i got a tax cut ya just more they can take another way . what ever you say cant change my mind the good old USA was way better in the mid 90 s than it is today. Someone once told me if they arent a crook when they get in office there one when they leave .

DennisF
04-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Licensed Plumbers and Electricians charge $75 for the first 30 minutes (service call). After that the price drops to $95 per hour or any fraction of an hour plus parts and supplies. If He/She is there for one hour changing a supply line ($5 part) it will set you back $170 for the Plumber.... plus parts.

It pays to learn a little about Plumbing.

grass-scapes
04-08-2005, 08:39 PM

Hell, I have a degree and I mow lawns. According to another thread on this site, so do many others. So, were your SAT scores too low to be accepted? Maybe you are just an underacheiver.

northmichigan
04-08-2005, 10:37 PM

hey thanks for an interesting read. i liked the idea that freud studied the mentally ill an was influenced unduly by them.
in business we see people act in strange ways and need to understand their motivations to understand their actions

ndunn
04-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Hell, I have a degree and I mow lawns. According to another thread on this site, so do many others. So, were your SAT scores too low to be accepted? Maybe you are just an underacheiver.

Hey, wasn't trashing education. just the VALUE of education relative to our so called improving economy. There are more jobs now than there were a year ago. I see everyone is hiring around here....wendys, am/pm, burger king, Microsoft has positions for janitors again, Boeing is hiring maintenance guys again, things are definitely getting better! Thank God for Economists.

daveintoledo
04-11-2005, 02:10 PM
i spent 35000 on an education,,,,,,,, the computer graphics field is now overrun by community college kids working for 8 dollars and hour.....

when i started college in 1990 this career paid 65000 a year, by 2004 it pays 20, great economy, lots of very educated people with skills have to find ways to make ends meet..... our presidents solution, go to community college so you can get a 8 dollar an hour job....

JSymons
04-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Give it a couple of years, and the same work will be $4.00 an hour in India.

grass-scapes
04-11-2005, 11:08 PM
I was a design engineer. Laid off, and no one wanted to pay more than 12 bucks an hour. I feel as though I wasted my money on my education. Oh well, things are only going to get worse. Im seeing it already with new "wannabe clients" my new client aquisition rate this year is 10 percent or less. Im bidding as low as I can. All of my costs are up...WAY up yet prices are down. Im hoping gas won't go as high as they say it will.

HOOLIE
04-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Maybe come down to NOVA, I have to beat customers away with a stick. But this is a hi-tech, booming area.

And really, a bachelor's degree from anywhere except maybe an Ivy League school doesn't guarantee anything. Everybody and their brother has a college degree...

StealthDT
04-11-2005, 11:40 PM
I was surfing thru the new posts and read the 'idiot' insult, so I had to finish the entire thread. It's better to be silent and thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt. Just my opinion, but Trevor hasn't a trace of doubt left. Curious that he can quote the GDP, but doesn't relate the current GDP to the near record low interest rates, or massive consumer debt load. This country's economy is 70% or more fueled by a consumer who's got little to no savings, maxed out on HELOC and credit cards, and chained to their current job due to a failing job market. Housing costs are astronomical, and the mortgage brokers are dealing loans to anyone with a pulse willing to sell their soul. ARM's are going to ruin millions of homeowners who leveraged themselves into a home they could only afford at near zero rates.

Clearly Trevor has a negative attitude, but that shouldn't prevent him from researching current events to open his mind to reality, rather than depend on what he's learning in the widget world. I'll know I just wasted a few minutes of my life when I see a snot nosed comeback.

PMLAWN
04-12-2005, 07:49 AM
This country's economy is 70% or more fueled by a consumer who's got little to no savings, maxed out on HELOC and credit cards, and chained to their current job due to a failing job market. Housing costs are astronomical, and the mortgage brokers are dealing loans to anyone with a pulse willing to sell their soul. ARM's are going to ruin millions of homeowners who leveraged themselves into a home they could only afford at near zero rates.

You see clearly oh wise one.

lawnworker
04-12-2005, 08:27 AM
i spent 35000 on an education,,,,,,,, the computer graphics field is now overrun by community college kids working for 8 dollars and hour.....

when i started college in 1990 this career paid 65000 a year, by 2004 it pays 20, great economy, lots of very educated people with skills have to find ways to make ends meet..... our presidents solution, go to community college so you can get a 8 dollar an hour job....

Hey all, we are in a state of globalization. The two card monty DEM/REP system secretly wants it that way. What else explains the last ten years of illegal immigration.This is why the corporation's are not staying. In the future, the only secure jobs will be in the following fields fields: Science, essential government positions and educated private services positions .Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers. and financial wizards are good examples of these. The computer field will always employ someone, but these jobs will become fewer and lower paid as time goes by.

Better get more efficient then the masses at cuttin the grasses :waving:

lawnworker
04-12-2005, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=StealthDumpTrucks]I ARM's are going to ruin millions of homeowners who leveraged themselves into a home they could only afford at near zero rates.

I wonder how many people % wise are on ARM. If a lot, this could be one of the most serious issue the country is facing.

freddyc
04-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Thank you,
Its the uneducated people who see something in the media and dont have what it takes to be a leader, so they point fingers, just like the media. They wouldnt know democrat over republican, just the fact that Bush is rep. so that means they are opposite of him, because the media says how terrible he is. These people have been followers their entire lives, and will continue to be followers until they die.

It is these people that make the threads "what is a scrub", or "lost another acct. to a lowballer", or "gas is killing me", or "Getting out of the business" Instead of getting over it and being innovative in their ways, they go to a internet site to whine and ***** to all of the people that are just like them.

DennisF, you are nothing, and not worth another typed word.

trevor

You have the worst attitude I have ever witnessed.

If you ever fall off your ego, you will break every bone in your body. Please learn a little humility, and remember, the OLD GUYS probably forgot more than you ever learned.

PS, please check out the personal debt and the increase in foreclosures before exalting a great economy. At least get to ECON 102 before ranting about your limited knowledge.

PMLAWN
04-13-2005, 05:14 AM
As a old man with bad eyes, I appreciate you writing big enough for me to read it.

bicmudpuppy
04-13-2005, 09:54 AM
As a old man with bad eyes, I appreciate you writing big enough for me to read it.
This suggest that I must have changed the font size, my appologies if it looks like I think it does from the sarcasm here. I have IE set to ignore fonts, so all the posts look the same to me.

Precision
04-13-2005, 08:47 PM
When every one feels like this, it is the best time to invest.

PMLAWN
04-14-2005, 03:09 AM
This suggest that I must have changed the font size, my appologies if it looks like I think it does from the sarcasm here. I have IE set to ignore fonts, so all the posts look the same to me.

Yes I was talking about the font size,
Funny thing is that the post is gone on my screen, Did you pull it off?

moneyman
04-14-2005, 05:09 AM

Its true throughout history the poor usually rebel and fight.

scraper69
04-14-2005, 06:37 AM
Who is this Trevor character?? He knows absolutly nothing about Econ. and the current admin, It has nothing to do with Rep, or Dem, it is about George W.
He is 100% to blame. zzzzzzzzzzzzz :sleeping: a sign of a bad economy is TOO many people trying to enter a low inital cost business - lawn service. Lets face it, anyone can cut lawns- a truck, mower, trimmer and blower and their in business. When economy is on the up, you dont see this. But you are too young (not to say I am old) to know about global economics, at 18 or 19, even if you had Econ 101..woooooo BIG DEAL! When you graduate, come back and talk. And yes, degrees are way over-rated, i have one too. Useless in this type of world we now live in, unless you know someone, you are not guaranteed a job in your "degree field". You are a dime a dozen.
And as far as your qoute" i dont mow lawns" Why do you have only lawn mowing equip listed under your tag line? Keep up with schooling, as you have lots to learn.

T Edwards
04-14-2005, 06:49 AM
THIS JUST IN...............

Trevor is 19 years old. Why are you guys argueing with him? He clearly knows it all just like we did when we were teenagers.

bicmudpuppy
04-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Yes I was talking about the font size,
Funny thing is that the post is gone on my screen, Did you pull it off?
Nope, I didn't remove it. don't have any idea where it went

ndunn
04-14-2005, 01:57 PM
THIS JUST IN...............

Trevor is 19 years old. Why are you guys argueing with him? He clearly knows it all just like we did when we were teenagers.

that's a good point, I'm in my late 20's and don't know jack about squat. It's like every year I realize I actually know less than I did the year before. I think I was born with full knowledge of the universe, but most of it was disproved by 16. Now I walk behind the mower and my mantra is....don't put salt in your eye...don't put salt in your eye...don't put salt in your eye. Then, yesterday at lunch I put salt in my eye. I think I'm screwed.

mastercare
04-14-2005, 02:35 PM
I can't belive how nasty this thread has gotten. So, why not add my 2cents.

First on education: Education is important. I have a degree in finance, and business background, which makes me a business owner, not a lawn cutter. However, it's not the $40,000 degree that makes me a business owner, its the knowlege and experience. Experience can teach just as much as a university. The only difference is that with a formalized education, you may avoid some of the pitfalls of trial and error which is part of the education process through experience. You need book smarts and field smarts to survive as a business owner, both equally important.

Second, on the economy: I am sick and tired of hearing about how the US keeps shipping jobs overseas. If you beleive ANY political ad you've seen, you're fool. I don't care who you voted for, political speeches and ads are slanted, and twisted to make you believe what you want to hear. Don't believe a word of it. We are moving towards a global economy across the world. It's been moving that way for years....its capitalism at its best. Do you realize that when you hear the tv ads about "tax breaks for big corporations to ship jobs overseas" is all BS!! That's right. Tax breaks are given to people (corporations) so that they'll have more money to invest. This means more investment in equipment, and personnell (that means jobs). Of course, the government can't tell corporations what to do with their new tax breaks, otherwise the gov't would be controlling how businesses operate. IF that happened, we no longer have free markets, we have communism!! Who's in favor of that? In fact tax breaks encourage corps to keep jobs locally, because there's more money available to keep jobs in place. Most companies don't like the bad press of laying off workers. Do you realize that without those tax breaks, it would be even more expensive for businesses to keep employees, and actually encourage them to look for cheaper labor! Those tax breaks did not cause jobs to be sent over seas. It's hard to say that to someone who has been laid off, and for that I appologize. But, the cost of labor is determined by supply and demand. If it were cheaper to hire people at home, that's where the jobs would stay. Coming from Michigan I know all about unions, and I can tell you that its BECAUSE of the unions that big corps can't afford to hire locally....the unions are too strong, and have risen their prices (wage demands) and FORCED the companies to look elsewhere for cheaper labor. If you believe that foreign products aren't of good quality, then you have nothing to worry about, becuase poor quality products leads to reduced demand, reduced prices, or a change in labor force. Supply and demand takes care of everything in the long run.

The people who support "work at home, buy american" don't realize the scope of reality. You know those foreign cars? Mazda's? I used to own one. It was made in America (Ohio Actually) by American workers. Many of the parts were fabricated in the US. The argument that "profits go to Japan" are ridiculous too....Ford Motor Company owns 24% of Mazda. Shareholders own these companies...no country owns the big corps!!! If you think all these huge profits are going to another country....buy some stock!!! That makes you the owner, and therefore the benefactor of these profits you're whining about.

How many american cars are 100% American? Doesn't happen. Michelin Tires come from France, Electronics come from Japan, Steel comes from U.S., labor comes from wherever the plants are built. There's almost nothing completely "made in the US"

So, all of you democrats, stop your whining about the economy, and Bush, and just realize that nothing is black and white. The global economy is all reliant on each other. If you think its unfair, buy some stock. You can be an American owner of any corporation that exists....then you share in the profits, and the money stays home.....if you believe that.

Sorry....I get winded sometimes

Kelly's Landscaping
04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
I hate the word economy it is so misused and misunderstood as to make it a word not worth using. Forget the jobs forget the elitist educated class who has found it hard to compete with other workers from around the world. I have been laid off 2 times in my life as well get over it these things happen. Something I have never done nor will I ever do is collect unemployment I have to much dignity for that. Some look for handouts others start over again and take risks.

The only real indicator that matters is interest rates with that you can predict the "economy" George Bush senior got the rates down to 6% that alone is what created the 90s Clinton just took credit for it and ran those rates to nearly 10% which is where our economy normally falters which it did on his watch. George W Bush got those high rates back down to under 5% that is what is driving our "economy" and we are in very good shape for the next 4-6 years. The media can say what they want to try to build up losers to get them elected but the truth is we have been doing well for a few years now, which any businessperson could have told you. Iv seen 100-200% growth in my company back to back last 2 years and this year looks to be no different. As for this class warfare I personally want to become rich and that is why Dems do not get our votes anymore its not in their interest to help us do that, I remember all too well Clintons first month in office first it was the diversion he announces gays in the military everyone was fighting over that then not 30 days in office he comes out with this. " I have worked harder then I ever have in my whole life and I have just gota raise your taxes" that after he ran on tax cuts and played clip after clip of read my lips for George Bush senior who only raised them when congress told him if he did not they would not pass anything he wanted. Don't believe me check it out and I am not to happy with Bush he only gave us back half that tax increase but it is still better then nothing after all its our money not the governments!

Charles
04-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Nope, I didn't remove it. don't have any idea where it went

Repost it in the correct font. That was blinding. I was going to PM you with a copy of it so you could repost but your Pm's were off.
Thanks! Charles

scraper69
04-15-2005, 06:14 AM
oh man, this is gonna be a political battle. F*** W. we are in the worst shape as a whole (USA) You really dont know politic too much, Bush is out for his own well being, not trying to help you (litlle business man) unless you are making 500,000 / year or more - you have no reason to think the economy is good. Maybe you are growing because you are a lowball scrub??? or you just happen to live in a lucky environment, (Interest rates always go down when the economy is ****.) when its booming , they go up. Learn some econ and politics before you say "we are in good shape" Tell that to people in the highest rate of unemployment in "just about since the Great depression:" :dizzy:

Kelly's Landscaping
04-15-2005, 09:13 PM
oh man, this is gonna be a political battle. F*** W. we are in the worst shape as a whole (USA) You really dont know politic too much, Bush is out for his own well being, not trying to help you (litlle business man) unless you are making 500,000 / year or more - you have no reason to think the economy is good. Maybe you are growing because you are a lowball scrub??? or you just happen to live in a lucky environment, (Interest rates always go down when the economy is ****.) when its booming , they go up. Learn some econ and politics before you say "we are in good shape" Tell that to people in the highest rate of unemployment in "just about since the Great depression:" :dizzy:

Get your facts straight son 5.4 unemployment is not 10-12% like your depression and 5.4 is better the then 5.6 that got Bill re elected for the so called best economy in 50 years. Yes interest rates rise when we are booming in fact we have just had 7 rate hikes in a row so you just blew your own argument. My point is valid we are poised for some serious growth and that is thanks to W.

As for why am I growing its because I bust my ass 90-hour weeks atm and I do so because I wish to be rich and after reading your post and seeing your attitude I know one of us will be and it will not be you.

Envy Lawn Service
04-16-2005, 02:49 AM
In my opinion Kelly hit this one dead on pretty well.
I'm sure glad I'm not the only one that see's Clinton for what he was. A FREELOADER!!!

I'm also so tired of all the Democrat v/s Republican crap as well.
Truthfully, I tend to vote for more Republicans.
But political party has absolutely nothing to do with it.
I never even consider who's what anymore.

What they do once they get in there depends on rather or not their personal conviction is stronger than the highest bidder.

As for Bush, well I voted for him, both times, and I have no doubt it was the right choice or should I say the better choice. Say what you want about the man, but name me one other who took office and actually DID what he said he would do? Now I'm not saying I agree with everything he does, but atleast he does what he says, says what he means and has some freakin backbone. I gotta give him credit for that. To be honest, I have more issues with what he's NOT doing, than what he is doing or has done.

As for all of you who blame Bush for this economy and praise Clinton, what freakin' country were you living in during the late 90's when the economy finally started to suffer under his administration??? When Bush took office we were headed straight for the bottom. So cuss Bush all you want, but without him, we would be in a world of s#it right now. He has done a lot to help us, but as I said, I still feel he could do more...

Soupy
04-16-2005, 03:36 AM
In my opinion Kelly hit this one dead on pretty well.
I'm sure glad I'm not the only one that see's Clinton for what he was. A FREELOADER!!!

I'm also so tired of all the Democrat v/s Republican crap as well.
Truthfully, I tend to vote for more Republicans.
But political party has absolutely nothing to do with it.
I never even consider who's what anymore.

What they do once they get in there depends on rather or not their personal conviction is stronger than the highest bidder.

As for Bush, well I voted for him, both times, and I have no doubt it was the right choice or should I say the better choice. Say what you want about the man, but name me one other who took office and actually DID what he said he would do? Now I'm not saying I agree with everything he does, but atleast he does what he says, says what he means and has some freakin backbone. I gotta give him credit for that. To be honest, I have more issues with what he's NOT doing, than what he is doing or has done.

As for all of you who blame Bush for this economy and praise Clinton, what freakin' country were you living in during the late 90's when the economy finally started to suffer under his administration??? When Bush took office we were headed straight for the bottom. So cuss Bush all you want, but without him, we would be in a world of s#it right now. He has done a lot to help us, but as I said, I still feel he could do more...

Yea, a lot of people confuse the DOT.COM boom for something Clinton did. When it crashed they blamed Bush even though it crashed before he was in office. It just took awhile for the effects to hit our economy and people really started noticing it right after Bush was in office.

scraper69
04-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Envy and Kelly must have grown up "yuppies" (and envy - bush does what he says????) What happened to "We will smoke them out of their holes?" Bin Laden is still alive and free... why? They are friends... yes (bush will tell you anything you want to hear, as long as he still makes money somehow. He only invaded Iraq- so he and Cheney (along with Haliburton) could rebuild and PROFIT of the war. That is what War Mongers do!

scraper69
04-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Enough about politics because this could go on forever.. The economy may be booming in your area, because the area itself. However Michigan is not doing well due to the Auotmotive run economy, when auto sales and production are down and people get laid off, we contractors do not get much work - as related to when the big 3 are booming,

SOMM
04-16-2005, 12:02 PM
dvm is kinda like our knucklehead kid brother, we like him regardless of what we or anyone else says about dvm.

dvm-
We might not be mowing crown vetch on the sides of our highways like you and your PA-DOT crew do or subcontract for, ok? - but when our dixie can't handle the lawn because of steep grades or obstacles we price accordingly for more hours on the smaller equipment. A $170 per hour plumber or hvac company's rates are about the norm for plumber's labor, parts, and all company overhead + the clock starts when they leave the shop - unless they're scrubs. Thats what accounts for the quarterly or half hour actual bill you receive from them.

jim dailey
04-16-2005, 12:10 PM

Trevor

You have a degree, and you are calling someone else an idiot? You have a degree and you are in this business??? What a waste of time and money.

Fvstringpicker
04-16-2005, 11:22 PM
The dot.com bubble/burst had nothing to do with Clinton or Bush. Also tax cuts per se only have short term effect on investment in capital except when the getting the cut is dependent upon investment such as bonus depreciation and investment tax credit. Thank God the congress and the prez did one thing I'm proud of. They helped Paris Hilton preserve all of her inheritance.

Soupy
04-16-2005, 11:33 PM
The dot.com bubble/burst had nothing to do with Clinton or Bush. Also tax cuts per se only have short term effect on investment in capital except when the getting the cut is dependent upon investment such as bonus depreciation and investment tax credit. Thank God the congress and the prez did one thing I'm proud of. They helped Paris Hilton preserve all of her inheritance.

I know they didn't have anything to do with it. But Clinton rode the wave of financial growth caused by it and Bush got blamed when the economy took a hit when it bust.

We all know Al Gore is the one responsible for the Dot.Com bubble. He invented the internet after-all :p

Envy Lawn Service
04-17-2005, 04:29 AM
Envy and Kelly must have grown up "yuppies"
"yuppies"???

I don't know about Kelly, but let me tell you something....
I'm gonna share a little story here on lawnsite that I've never said anything about before.

Just so you know scraper69, I sure as heck didn't grow up that way. In fact, you and I are the same age and I'm willing to bet you don't know a soul who grew up as poor as I did. Although we are the same age, I'd also bet that I would have more in common with your grandparents or great grandparents when it comes to childhood stories than you.

I can remember back to when I was 3. In fact I remember my 4th birthday like it was yesterday. That's no accident either. I had it rough, poor beyond your imagination. I remember the days of Jimmy Carter well. Dad did the best he could, but in the end, we lost EVERYTHING, and that wasn't saying much. But now we were homeless.

I remember picking up cans and helping dad by putting a little sand in each one before he crushed it, so it would weigh more. This was our only source of any money at all because you couldn't buy a job at the time, and to beat all, now we didn't have an address to put on the application or a phone number to call. Somehow, we survived the winter without shelter. Dry nights, when it was windy and cold we went into hollows where we could get a break from the wind, build a small fire and bed down in a deep blanket of leaves.

In the new year dad got his W-2. By spring we managed to get enough money together to get a PO Box and pay someone to do the taxes. Finally those checks came in the mail. Dad bought a rattletrap car to seek work and one of those ice cream stand trailers, too run down to use. Thank go he got a job. We remodeled it into a home. Your landscape trailer is probably bigger.

I was 8 years old before I even qualified as "dirt poor".... Things got better in the Reagan years. We had dirt to call our own. We bought an old farmhouse that was beyond condemned by today's standards. The bank never considered it. They loaned the money on the land. It had electric still hooked up. One light and one wall socket per room, but none of it worked past the fuse box. There was no running water, plus holes through the floor and walls 2' wide. But we had a place to put the camper up on blocks and go to work.

So we did.... and I started my lawn business that year to help out with money. Yes, I was 8 years old. I pulled a rusty 21 down the gravel road in one hand, hand scythe tied to it in a burlap sack, and a sling over the shoulder in the other hand. And so it began....

I cut lawns, worked as a farm hand, did anything I could, and was dad's extra set of hands around home. We worked on the house, clearing land, and tended our little farm. Dad worked every hour at the factory they'd let him. He and I cut and sold firewood in the fall, and I worked on a timber crew in the winter.

Thank god for a cheap to shoot .22 and a shotgun. They put meat on the table many a night. There was no tractor, we plowed with horses and worked it by hand. If we didn't raise it or kill it, we didn't eat it. We went hungry. A trip to the grocery store was for flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, shortening, ect. Once in a while, for a treat, dad got coffee and I got cereal and sweet milk to go in it (pasteurized store bought milk).

I'll never forget the first night in that old house, or the day we hooked running water to the kitchen sink, gravity fed from a spring. No more carrying water for everything. But we still heated water for baths in a cowboy tub or took showers in the camper. I used an outhouse until I was in middle school. We heated with wood, cooked by wood cook-stove or one hotplate eye in the camper. We used oil lamps for lights for a long time before all the electric was fixed.

I also remember the day we carried in that used puke green antique refrigerator.... and the old black and white TV that picked up one channel sometimes. Life was good.... I never learned what the hell a "yuppie" was until I spent the night with a buddy from school. Lights, indoor plumbing, electric stove, heat and air, color TV in every room in the house, closet full of clothes, chest full of toys, ect....

I bought a car and a work truck by 15... and first thing I did when I turned 16 was get my drivers license and working papers. School boy by day, lawn/landscape/construction boy by evening and stock boy by nights. Those were the Bush Sr years. 12 good years in all, and several more would follow.

Dad and I have both came a long way since then. We did what we had too. Nobody ever handed us a d@mn thing along the way either. But the economy sure turned around and opened the door of opportunity. I worked my way up the hard way and it wasn't easy. So I know a little about politics, about life, about working hard, about being poor, about economics and I learned it all from formal school and the school of hard knocks! I graduated both with honors.

It's not every day you get to talk to a 30 year old guy with 22 years experience in this or any business.... And the last time I checked, that doesn't qualify as a "yuppie" childhood.

Remsen1
04-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Tax breaks are given to people (corporations) so that they'll have more money to invest. This means more investment in equipment, and personnell (that means jobs). Of course, the government can't tell corporations what to do with their new tax breaks, otherwise the gov't would be controlling how businesses operate.

I agree with alot of what you said, but I don't agree with this. Big corps are only interested in their bottom line. If they can decrease expenses at the cost of U.S. jobs, they will. If that means laying of 1000's, they will. The negative media... it blows over and they march along as usual. For this example the government should not just give a tax break they should instead give a refund that can be used only to subsidize hiring American workers.

Kelly's Landscaping
04-17-2005, 09:19 PM
You got me beat there Envy my father died when I was 6 mother had no job no money and more bills then she could count. She use to tailor for other people in fact she made most of my clothes growing up. Our house is filled with antiques but they were all found in tag sales or on the side of the road and my mother restored them. She got to fight with my fathers side of the family till I was old enough to scare them off they always felt she had it made called my mother all sorts of things and said she did not know how to manage her money and that was the problem.

On that sour note she decided to seek help and got a financial planer to see what she was doing wrong. After looking over the little income and the monthly bills he looked up at her and said no your not crazy and you are not doing anything wrong in fact if I were in your shoes I would kill myself. Somehow my mother managed to never lose the house and while I can not talk about hunting for my meals I can remember weeks where the only thing we ate was cheerios let me tell you I have never eaten cereal or breakfast in the last 25 years thatís how much I learned to hate it. Most of our food was grown by my grand parents or we would pick it our selves. Our house was in a swamp and the lawn would take 2 days to cut back then with a 21 inch mower.

What that did was make me 10 times the man most people are. Failure is not even an option I succeed no matter what as for Scrapers comments about why I may be doing as well as I am. Lets just say he picked the wrong person to accuse of getting lucky or being a lowballer. I have learned to really hate Dems over the years and the main reason is if you do make it then rather then giving you credit for it and celebrating your success they say you were given it or you just got lucky and therefore you should pay higher taxes since its not fair you have what you have. I differ from this I feel you earn what you have and if you do not wish to take lifeís risks or work as hard thatís fine but do not go complaining that some one has more then you later. As for my area it is indeed awesome and to think I have it all to myself aside from the 248 other landscapers in the yellow pages with me and the 100-200 landscapers that do not have ads there its all mine.

Soupy
04-17-2005, 09:57 PM
I get a kick out of guys that complain about the rich and their tax cuts. Usually the guys complaining are not paying much, if any taxes because they don't earn enough. So why does it bother these guys that someone who pays a lot more in taxes each year gets a little bit more of a break. They are still paying more.

Fvstringpicker
04-17-2005, 11:18 PM
I get a kick out of guys that complain about the rich and their tax cuts. Usually the guys complaining are not paying much, if any taxes because they don't earn enough.

Because in the dynamics of the U.S. economy, it requires X number of dollars to run the government. (don't give me the crap about cutting costs, it ain't gonna happen) When the rich are given cuts, ultimately the lost revenue are passed down to to the middle class in the form of increased taxes, higher charges for services, increased deficits and the like. The mess social security is in now is due to the administration's use of the funds to supplement income tax revenue

Thank God our House of Representatives is helping Paris Hilton maximize her inheritance.

Soupy
04-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Because in the dynamics of the U.S. economy, it requires X number of dollars to run the government. (don't give me the crap about cutting costs, it ain't gonna happen) When the rich are given cuts, ultimately the lost revenue are passed down to to the middle class in the form of increased taxes, higher charges for services, increased deficits and the like. The mess social security is in now is due to the administration's use of the funds to supplement income tax revenue

Thank God our House of Representatives is helping Paris Hilton maximize her inheritance.

You didn't get a tax cut? You pay more for services then anyone else?

How are you supporting the government more then the rich?

The rich make more money and pay more in taxes. They also spend more and generate more sales tax. It isn't that the middle class guy is getting cheated, it's just that he doesn't make enough to carry his weight so he has to pay a little higher percentage of his income. He still isn't carrying anywhere near the weight that the rich guy is, so why complain. I happy paying my taxes, and would complain more on the local level then the national level. Property tax, sales tax, etc. is a much bigger issue to me then what percnetage of my net earnings are going to the goverment.

Social security is a whole new ball game. There is much better ways to control spending besides making the rich guy pay more of the burden. Social security is loss only because the government can not pay back the money borrowed. The money is still there and was never taken, but borrowed against. Some day when we come to realize that we can not afford foreign welfare (just to name one) anymore maybe we will start to help ourselves and pay some of that money back. The government can do it, but they are just like the middle class guy that has to buy the big house and fancy cars even though he can not afford it. Soon he realizes that to survive he has to rethink his lifestyle. The government will realize this someday and stop spending more then it makes.

Just like we were going to run out of oil in 20 years back when Reagan was in office. Well in 3 years it will have been 20 years. Sure some day we will run out, but we will solve that problem before it happens, just like we will solve social security. People need to stop believing the scare tactics and politics and believe that we are the best country in the world and if anyone will survive on this planet it will be us.

What we need to do is take welfare that is being paid to U.S citizens and put them to work performing some of tax paying jobs. Like FDR did during the depression were he had work camps for the needy. I understand that many jobs are skilled jobs, but I don't know of anyone that can't hold a stop sign on road construction crews, or fill some pot holes with asphalt. Maybe put these guys to work at small business that can't afford employee but could generate a little more tax revenue if they had some help.

Or maybe we can raise the amount rich folks pay and let them pay the way for everyones future. If you think overseas jobs are a problem now, just go raise taxes on big business and see how bad things can get. They can go just about anywhere and pay less tax, but you want them to pay more. Which comes to my next conclusion, if anyone isn't happy with things in this country (no one in particular) then there are hundreds of other countries to choose from.

Good luck, and have a nice day!

Fvstringpicker
04-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Don't get me wrong; I'm not necessarily saying to soak the rich. What I am saying is that spending is the problem, not revenue. Unfortunately, the republicans have pr oven, through the years, to be bigger spenders than the democrats. You don't get this from the right wing spin-lines, but it's a provable fact nonetheless. The demos tend to support person entitlement/welfare programs. The republicans tend to support corporate entitlement/welfare program which, in the final analysis, is much more expensive. As a businessman, you'd never decrease revenue while increasing spending. Yet this administration has this mindless policy. And soon the chickens will come home to roost (if history is an indicator, it will be on the heads of the working class) You are dead on the money with your comments on social security. They have borrowed the money and don't want to pay it back.
I want to comment on your equating disagreement with Bush's tax policy with being a low paid low net worth individuals. You could possibly be addressing people who bought several hundred shares of Cisco Systems in the early 90's and sold just before the tech bubble burst in 2000 or retired Engineers and CPA's who have paid the max into the social security system for the last 20 years. You don't necessarily have to be an unwavering republican to be well heeled.

Remsen1
04-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Here is a good sign to all of you who think the economy is doing great.

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday posted a first-quarter net loss of $1.10 billion, its worst result since the industrial icon skirted bankruptcy in 1992, due to weaker U.S. sales and growing costs for employee health care and raw materials to build cars.

The world's largest automaker, which alarmed the markets last month when it slashed its outlook, said its automotive operations lost $1.98 billion in the quarter, with a loss in North America alone of $1.56 billion.

The automaker also withdrew its earnings and cash flow forecast for the 2005 calendar year. Last month, GM cut its outlook for the year to a profit in the range of $1 to $2 per share, and analysts expect GM to earn a profit of 61 cents per share this year, according to Reuters Estimates.

GM had a cash outflow of $4.7 billion in the first quarter, including $1.7 billion for job cuts in Europe and a payout to Fiat SpA (FIA.MI: Quote, Profile, Research) to dissolve a partnership with the Italian automaker.

"The lack of 2005 guidance will alarm some," JP Morgan analyst Himanshu Patel said in a research note.

GM may be withholding a forecast because it is working with the United Auto Workers union to try to cut health-care costs, and "during this politically-sensitive time, it will likely want to keep its cards close to its chest," Patel said.

GM said the first-quarter loss amounted to $1.91 per share and included several one-time items. In the first quarter last year, GM earned a profit of $1.2 billion, or $2.12 per share.

The loss was the biggest since GM lost $21 billion in the first quarter of 1992, when changes in accounting procedures required companies to include health-care costs in earnings.

lawnguyland
04-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Core inflation up big time today

Fvstringpicker
04-20-2005, 11:00 PM
In my opinion investors in either small caps or large caps need to remain extremely cautious. Recently, gains in the market are on light turnover, but there is a disturbing trend of rising volume on down days. In short, the institutions and big investors are buying without much conviction, but are heavy-handed when it comes to selling. Looks like all industry groups are hit with high volume on downs days. As lawnguyland said, core inflation rate is the most since 2002 and not just due to energy cost. Real wages are falling and retail sales for March were poor and may be worse in April. My guess is oil is going to $70+ a barrel in the near term. You may listen to the right wing spin doctors on how great the economy is because of the bush tax cuts but if you're an investor (in stocks) it's a fools game to be married to one side of the market becuse of personal philosophy. The market doesn't care what you believe, how positive your attitude is, or who you voted for.

dvmcmrhp52
04-20-2005, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=Fvstringpicker]My guess is oil is going to $70+ a barrel in the near term. QUOTE]

And other than being a left wing chicken little who believes the sky is falling, what data do you have to back up this statement?

dvmcmrhp52
04-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Here is a good sign to all of you who think the economy is doing great.

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday posted a first-quarter net loss of $1.10 billion, its worst result since the industrial icon skirted bankruptcy in 1992, due to weaker U.S. sales and growing costs for employee health care and raw materials to build cars.

The world's largest automaker, which alarmed the markets last month when it slashed its outlook, said its automotive operations lost $1.98 billion in the quarter, with a loss in North America alone of $1.56 billion.

The automaker also withdrew its earnings and cash flow forecast for the 2005 calendar year. Last month, GM cut its outlook for the year to a profit in the range of $1 to $2 per share, and analysts expect GM to earn a profit of 61 cents per share this year, according to Reuters Estimates.

GM had a cash outflow of $4.7 billion in the first quarter, including $1.7 billion for job cuts in Europe and a payout to Fiat SpA (FIA.MI: Quote, Profile, Research) to dissolve a partnership with the Italian automaker.

"The lack of 2005 guidance will alarm some," JP Morgan analyst Himanshu Patel said in a research note.

GM may be withholding a forecast because it is working with the United Auto Workers union to try to cut health-care costs, and "during this politically-sensitive time, it will likely want to keep its cards close to its chest," Patel said.

GM said the first-quarter loss amounted to $1.91 per share and included several one-time items. In the first quarter last year, GM earned a profit of $1.2 billion, or $2.12 per share.

The loss was the biggest since GM lost $21 billion in the first quarter of 1992, when changes in accounting procedures required companies to include health-care costs in earnings.

All this tells me is that GM has some real poor management.
Ford's earnings on the other hand are up............

Fvstringpicker
04-20-2005, 11:55 PM
And other than being a left wing chicken little who believes the sky is falling, what data do you have to back up this statement?

It never ceases to amaze me how you obvious right wingers result to name calling and put downs when someone even hints they oppose your beliefs . Listen to the right wing spin doctors and see what I mean. Disagee and they will call you the "L" word. Truth of the matter, I was giving my take on the overall market direction (dow s&p 500, s&p600). As an investor in the stock market for several years, my greatest discovery was that I must study general market conditions, to size it up to be able to anticipate probabilities. In short, I learned that I had to work for my money. If oil goes to $70 I'm right, if it doesn't, I'm wrong. I currently hold xmo, crzo, pog, bpt. and have since early fall because of the increases in global demand for oil. Demand drives price. For your information, I use a variety of fundamental and technical indicators. The game taught me the game. As Jesse Livermore said, "A man must believe in himself and his judgement if he expects to make a living at this game"

Fvstringpicker
04-21-2005, 12:21 AM
All this tells me is that GM has some real poor management. Ford's earnings on the other hand are up............

Reuters
Ford Profit Drops 38 Percent
Wednesday April 20, 6:08 pm ET

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - News) on Wednesday posted a 38 percent drop in first-quarter earnings, pressured by falling U.S. sales and rising costs, and further cut its North American production to reduce bloated inventories of unsold vehicles.

Soupy
04-21-2005, 01:29 AM
You can't tell me that the reason these auto makers are losing money is because it cost to much to build auto's. They have plenty of profit worked into prices. Maybe if they would lower their MSRP's they might sell more product and make some money. There is more steel put into a single wide Mobile home and they can be purchased cheaper then many auto's.

Believe me if the economy was that bad then the auto manufacturer would lower their prices. They must think it is doing ok to keep prices up. I remember when they did believe the sky was falling and every manufacturer on earth had 0% financing and rebates out the yingyang. Interest rates have went up 6 times recently because things are on the rise.

The real truth is Toyota etc. are hurting sales from Ford etc. They now have their 1/2, 3/4 ton truck lines that are hurting sales on the big 4.

Just like when people were scared into building fall out bunkers. They soon found out the world was not ending and lived many prospered years. I repeat! Do not believe everything you hear! Look into your own wallet and tell me times are tough. Remember the stories of how families were considered rich if they owned 2 cars and had a TV, powered clothes washing machine, etc.

Sure there a millions of americans over spending, but it's by choice and if they thought the sky was falling they would buy a 150grand house instead of a 300grand house. Man imagine having to settle for a 150 grand home. By the way, if the sky was falling then the 300 grand homes would be 150 grand. New neighborhoods are popping up all over the place and these are not your average home either. If things were so bad then these neighborhoods wouldn't be putting in lakes and golf coerces.

How many times do you see the take out restaurants delivering food around town. I spent $50 on take out tonight and I'm sure many americans had the luxury of ordering out tonight. Things are really bad though.

Sorry for the rant, but we have it easy compared to our parents generation and sitting around complaining is a slap in their face.

pagefault
04-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Maybe if they would lower their MSRP's they might sell more product and make some money.

Toyota makes more profit than all three US companies combined. Toyota charges about the same for their cars. If the big three lower their prices to sell more cars, won't that make them lowballers? They're already scrubs, based on the quality of their products.

DGI
04-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Simply put, your an idiot, and have no clue what your talking about.

While it is true that probably no one in this thread truly understands how the various factors compound one another, and in which order they affect things, your analysis is hollow. What % of that "growth" was funded by credit? That is to ask: what is the proportion of the overall net GDP change to the trade deficit (an inflow from capital from the rest of the globe) ?

GDP figures mean little when the job creation can't keep up. The US economy continues to perform a delicate balancing act, with its structure ever more resembling that of a spinning top that is slowing down.

Remsen1
04-21-2005, 03:33 PM
You can't tell me that the reason these auto makers are losing money is because it cost to much to build auto's. They have plenty of profit worked into prices. Maybe if they would lower their MSRP's they might sell more product and make some money. There is more steel put into a single wide Mobile home and they can be purchased cheaper then many auto's.

Yes but it takes many more machines (made of steel incidentally) and many more people to build a truck than it does to build a mobile home. I don't see too many single wide mobile homes that are cheaper than trucks, but I have seen some. Secondly, most dealers around here ARE offering $8,000 to $10,000 manufacturer rebate off MSRP, but they are still not selling enough. Why? Cause few people can afford trucks as in the recent past.

"The real truth is Toyota etc. are hurting sales from Ford etc. They now have their 1/2, 3/4 ton truck lines that are hurting sales on the big 4. "

This is only having a minimal effect on the sales of Ford and Chevy.

"Just like when people were scared into building fall out bunkers. They soon found out the world was not ending and lived many prospered years. I repeat! Do not believe everything you hear! Look into your own wallet and tell me times are tough. "

I AM!!!

"Remember the stories of how families were considered rich if they owned 2 cars and had a TV, powered clothes washing machine, etc. "

I have heard of these times, but back then this stuff was considered high-tech and was relatively far more expensive compared to the costs today.

"we have it easy compared to our parents generation"

I guess that would depend on when your parent's generation was. My parents were my age in the early 80's. They didn't have it any worse than I do now. People of my parent's generation are complaining far more than I am by the way, so are they slapping themselves in the faces?

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=Fvstringpicker]It never ceases to amaze me how you obvious right wingers result to name calling and put downs when someone even hints they oppose your beliefs . QUOTE]
" You may listen to the right wing spin doctors on how great the economy is because of the bush tax cuts"

Now, tell me who started with the name calling?

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Reuters

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - News) on Wednesday posted a 38 percent drop in first-quarter earnings, pressured by falling U.S. sales and rising costs, and further cut its North American production to reduce bloated inventories of unsold vehicles.

Ford's profits dropped?
Yesterday they beat estimates.............and their stock rose..............

"Bloated inventories"

Exactly. The big three have been churning out vehicles for quite a while, the cycle is in the downturn now as it always ends up doing. Demand for new vehicles is not an unending pot of gold, sooner or later demand will drop off until those vehicles begin to age and the buying begins again. No rocket science here............... no different than the tech bubble created during clinton's years, you had to be a fool to believe it could continue.

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=DGI. The US economy continues to perform a delicate balancing act, with its structure ever more resembling that of a spinning top that is slowing down.[/QUOTE]

Why is it that when the Clintons where in the White house no one was talking about the delicate balancing act that the tech industry had created....................

Our economy during those years was driven by empty wharehouses with a name on the front door and people continued to throw their money into the industry............

Funny how you can tell where people's idealogy is at by just a few sentences.................

pagefault
04-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Why is it that when the Clintons where in the White house no one was talking about the delicate balancing act that the tech industry had created....................

People were talking about it. Not enough people were listening.

scraper69
04-21-2005, 07:01 PM
you've gotta admit, during Clintons term - we were all doing better, jobs, profits, NO usles WARS! The country was overall good. Not saying he was the best pres. but he was close.

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 07:03 PM
People were talking about it. Not enough people were listening.

Fewer people by far were talking about it then in comparison to the many doomsayers of today.............Maybe it's just my perception of things.......................

pagefault
04-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Fewer people by far were talking about it then in comparison to the many doomsayers of today.............Maybe it's just my perception of things.......................

Most of the ones I know who are talking now are the same ones who weren't listening then. What can you do?

pagefault
04-21-2005, 07:08 PM
It takes a while for the masses to get caught up.

Not that I am a big fan, but Donald Trump once said something like "By the time you can see a trend, you're too late to capitalize on it." Meaning, by the time everyone sees that something is happening, it's already happened. Much like the economy.

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 07:09 PM
you've gotta admit, during Clintons term - we were all doing better, jobs, profits, NO usles WARS! The country was overall good. Not saying he was the best pres. but he was close.

Sorry, but I made much more money before clinton, than during or since his term ...............No useless wars? Hmmm..........I remember a few "conflicts" that didn't get much attention.

The country was no more "overall good" than under other presidents, That's simply a perception (overall good) that I don't hold to.

Anyway, so much for the political debate...........
Back to the thread...........

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Most of the ones I know who are talking now are the same ones who weren't listening then. What can you do?

True enough.

Grass Cake
04-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Reuters

Chevron Corp., the beneficiary of natural gas prices that have more than tripled and rising profits from oil refining, reported record first-quarter net income of $1.6 billion yesterday, a 53 percent increase over the first quarter of 2000.

SF Chronicle 26apr01

Looks like supply and demand has a nice profit margin.

Fvstringpicker
04-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Perhaps its because I am on the receiving end of your comment, but it seems that me drawing attention to the right wing spin doctors, who make millions on their talk shows, to set up my point is a little less personal than you calling me a left wing chicken little. (the left wing has spin doctors too) The purpose of my post was to give my observation of the street. The market today proved contrary to my observation but I still believe we'll have major up and down days with maybe a 5% increase by year end with any luck. Nonetheless, I am still concerned that the Dow bell-weathers are trending down. IBM, for example, has lost half its value gained during this bull market. Inflation and interest are increasing, real wages are stagnate. When consumer spending weakens the market weakens. If the maket fall below it's 10,000 psychological support, all bets are off. Blame Reuters for the report on Ford, but you were the one who said their earnings were up. At any rate, I won't be taking a position on Ford, unless it's a short.

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Perhaps its because I am on the receiving end of your comment, but it seems that me drawing attention to the right wing spin doctors, who make millions on their talk shows, to set up my point is a little less personal than you calling me a left wing chicken little. (the left wing has spin doctors too) The purpose of my post was to give my observation of the street. The market today proved contrary to my observation but I still believe we'll have major up and down days with maybe a 5% increase by year end with any luck. Nonetheless, I am still concerned that the Dow bell-weathers are trending down. IBM, for example, has lost half its value gained during this bull market. Inflation and interest are increasing, real wages are stagnate. When consumer spending weakens the market weakens. If the maket fall below it's 10,000 psychological support, all bets are off. Blame Reuters for the report on Ford, but you were the one who said their earnings were up. At any rate, I won't be taking a position on Ford, unless it's a short.

And so it goes....................
I was going to comment on todays market but left it go because this thread has been hijacked to an extent by all of this.............
Debate is good..................Have a good evening.

DGI
04-21-2005, 10:16 PM
dvmcmrhp52: You can't "tell" anything. My idealogy is about as far to the right as you can get.

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 11:08 PM
dvmcmrhp52: You can't "tell" anything. My idealogy is about as far to the right as you can get.

He he..............if you say so.................... :waving:

Fvstringpicker
04-22-2005, 08:42 AM
I was going to comment on todays market but left it

Tell you what . Put your "Funny Money" where you mouth is.

My stock picks are
RTSX, 22.00
CHK, 20.40
GRP, 23.43
FO. 87.06
I'm going to short your favorite Ford 9.82 Going out on a limb but I predict the market will be flat to down by months end. Try your luck.

Fvstringpicker
04-22-2005, 10:01 AM
For the record, at 9:46am I covered my short on ford motor company at 9.69 for a $260.00 gain (less commissions of $7.00). not bad for 16 min. If you have any more whose profits are up. let me know.

pagefault
04-22-2005, 11:30 AM
For the record, at 9:46am I covered my short on ford motor company at 9.69 for a $260.00 gain (less commissions of $7.00). not bad for 16 min. If you have any more whose profits are up. let me know.

Unless I am misunderstanding your post, you were in and out in 16 minutes? If so, your results have little to do with the economy. People generally only cover their shorts when they think the stock is ready to go back up.

Fvstringpicker
04-22-2005, 06:03 PM
On a day trade, you're right, has little to do with the economy as a whole. But I learned not to argue with the street. I've had some really expensive lessons. I did cover when I thought the stock had bottomed. Pull up a daily candlestick chart on ford. Notice the downtrend when the market opened. About 9:40 volume spiked on a somewhat bullish close. On balance volume formed a double bottom and the relative strength index was below 30 and hooking up. Subsequently, volume decreased and the candlestick indicated the stock closed equal to open at about $ 9.70 and higher than the low for the period. I believed the weak hands were out for the day and covered. This is the shortest trade I've done in a while. Normally, I stay away for shorts but there is a lot quicker profit to be made since stock normally decrease three times as fast as they increase. And as a general rule, I don't daytrade. I'm just not that good at it. (daytrading or shorting stock)

dvmcmrhp52
04-22-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm going to short your favorite Ford 9.82

My favorite?
Who told you that?
Why are you here?

Oh, nevermind............I already know.

Fvstringpicker
04-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Go ahead and step up the the plate with your stock picks and e.m.o. market prediction. Heck I'm down $40 bucks for the day, not counting the short coverage which was real. Thanks for drawing my attention to Ford. And I actually have positions in RTSX and FO, plus I purchased CHK before the close today. If anybody is long on ford, my advise is to sell this loser. BTW, a chicken little, left wing liberal, who believes the market is shaky despite the right wing spin is known as a bear whereas a chicken little, left wing liberal, who believes the market is due for a rally despite the left wing spin is know as a bull. Been playing this game too long to take my investment advise from Delay and Hillary. As Jessie Livermore said "When a man makes his play in the market, he must not permit himself set opinions"

pagefault
04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
"The real truth is Toyota etc. are hurting sales from Ford etc. They now have their 1/2, 3/4 ton truck lines that are hurting sales on the big 4. "

This is only having a minimal effect on the sales of Ford and Chevy.

Actually, it is more than a minimal effect...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050426/ap_on_bi_ge/japan_toyota_prices

pagefault
04-26-2005, 04:00 PM
What is interesting is that Toyota is profitable and taking market share from the US companies, who are losing money. The big three can't figure out how to make a buck with their overhead, so the pressure is on the other guys to raise their prices.

It sounds familiar, but I don't know where I have heard it before...

:rolleyes:

Remsen1
04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Your quote was taken out of context. You implied that Toyota TRUCK sales were hurting General Motors. I disagreed and still disagree that Toyota trucks are have little or no impact on GM Truck sales of 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks or GM as a whole. Your article speaks of cars. I would agree that Toyota and GM compete for the same car buyer market. I also agree that this could be causing some heartburn for GM, but I still have one big question, why is GM in trouble NOW? Could it be due to a combination fewer car buyers (due to the state of the economy) AND the higher competition for the remaining car buyers.

All I am trying to say is I believe GM's woes to be more a result of the economy than due to the competition. Why? Toyota and all of their other competitors didn't spring up within the last year, so why would it be a problem now?

nocutting
04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Hello, for the past 3yrs I've tried to dwindle my accounts [ now I'm down to 30 non-mowing accounts].....Just take on 1-3 new full time, full service accounts. I've reduced my service area each time, dont take on bid jobs [ commercial ] & moved into property management type jobs with my clients. I set an annual buget for grounds services, tree work,stump work, and IPM of land & landscape care....So in answer to the stated question, I'm happy when my phone doesent ring, leaves me more time to work on my currant accounts :)......PS.....I try to work for people that have to have services, & where it doesent matter what the currant econmomy is doing.

pagefault
04-26-2005, 04:35 PM
I do not believe it can be taken out of context. Either Toyota is hurting them or Toyota is not hurting them. IMHO Toyota is hurting them. The economy just brings a company's shortcomings to light, I think. Toyota is more profitable than all three of the others combined, they barely do more sales than Ford alone and apparently their prices are too low.

They'd be hurting the big three no matter what.

pagefault
04-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Also, that quote was not from me, it was from Soupy and it appeared to be in response to a post you made about how horrible the entire GM line was doing.

The entire GM line is doing poorly because they have Corvettes, heavy duty trucks and that's about it. Everything else is made better by someone else. Soupy was also pointing out that the trucks are starting to slip away too, which they are.

kootoomootoo
04-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Leading upto xmas was a goldmine for stocks. Especially guys who bought Dec calls in the early fall of 04. The market is trending down and per a few brokers I subscribe too amd my personal belief will until June. I'd look to get back in then. GOOG is a money making machine .....will only continue to go up ......sitting on some nice GOOG calls. I have an ameritrade daytrade account. $25,000 in there gives me $100000 buying power for the day. Talk about stress! I usually stick to GOOG and EBAY to daytrade. Shorting is the easiest way to make money daytrading .. also the easiest way to lose money if you hold overnight and big news hits. I generally subscribe to the 10.30 rule. Wait an hour until after the market opens to see what it does. A new high for the day after 10.30 suggests it will go higher ..a new low lower.

Remsen1
04-26-2005, 05:15 PM
The economy just brings a company's shortcomings to light, I think.

I will agree with you on this :)

I got myself in trouble because it looked like I was disagreeing to the whole statement, when I was really disagreeing with the example. This is the part I disagree with "...They now have their 1/2, 3/4 ton truck lines that are hurting sales on the big 4.... "

steve122
04-27-2005, 07:22 AM
I have Bachelors in Computer Science from the University of Michigan (1993). But I got most of my education from the school of hard knocks and 32 years of building cars and trucks for General Motors. I cut grass part time in Michigan for 28 years before retiring and moving to the Sunshine State. Now I get to cut grass all the time.

Someday when you grow up and become a man, you'll understand something about economics and hard work. Hell... you might even get lucky and have the opportunity to get laid off or fired from a job and have to worry about how you'll feed your family. That's when economics begins sink in and you start thinking with a clear head. But at 18 years old and with a know it all attitude it's going to take a big chunk of your adult life just to find out how little you know.
Another thank you for Dennis for taking the time to argue with someone as opinionated as Trevor. Useless to reply to someone so closed minded, but you can't help but want to try to educate him.

Fvstringpicker
04-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Leading upto xmas was a goldmine for stocks. Especially guys who bought Dec calls in the early fall of 04. The market is trending down and per a few brokers I subscribe too amd my personal belief will until June. I'd look to get back in then.

You're dead right about the bull market in 04 and especially the rally in the fall and winter. My biggest winners were TASR, FMT, PETM, POG. My biggest loser was TRCI. I'm still holding POG and TRCI. Other than TRCI, all my portfolio is in energy and medical tech. So far I'm up 57% (by the grace of God) for the calender year. I don't trust my ability enough the play the options. When I tried it a while back, I flushed a bunch of thousands in one afternoon. I got to cocky I guess. You know what they say, Bull make money, Bears make money but pigs get killed.

kootoomootoo
04-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I bought a little known stock .... WGAT in late November two days after the landscape season ended and I had time to trade. Sold it for a 300% profit within 30 days. Had the whole winter off! Had to pay a LOT of tax on the $$$$$$ I made on it though.

Except some EBAY and GOOG calls I only have stocks in my IRA right now. WGAT, IOTN, ALNY, GOOG, XMSR and a few others. Dont like to hold unless I am able to keep an eye on the market.

Options are the best way to make and lose money. I bought a ton of EBAY calls after the last earnings and the stock fell big time. Got in when it was trading at $77.00 ....rode it for a week upto the stock split when I sold it at around $85.00..... $30 calls I sold for $95-$105 from memory. Ebay is trading at $32 (64) after the split.....I'd buy GOOG and a few others companies dec calls right now.

Tim Louis
04-29-2005, 12:42 AM
I cant believe this went this far

I thought I made a simple comment and asked a simple question, I feel as though I've created a monster.

quick someone kill it........

Soupy
04-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Yea, as soon as the egotistic crap started I lost interest.

Fvstringpicker
04-30-2005, 12:26 PM
I cant believe this went this far

I thought I made a simple comment and asked a simple question, I feel as though I've created a monster.

quick someone kill it........

For my part in animating this monster, the stock market is the economy, or a last bears the brunt of any downturn. I thought it would be neat to get folks ideas on stocks and investment given the current economic conditions. When I made my first post, I never dreamed my assessment that the market looked toppy and recommending caution, that some folks would interpret that as an affront to the Bush Administration and the Republicans and only a left wing liberal could make such an assessment. Maybe it will be better if I confine my remarks to defining scrubs, whether an Exmark is really a Toro, or if an Redmax outblows a Echo. On second thought, I don't think I will confine my remarks. On that kootoomootoo, what's your feelings on market direction?

kootoomootoo
05-01-2005, 01:52 AM
Market has been and will continue to head south. There will be up days, there always is in any market. Some of the pharmaceutical companies should have a good year. ALNY is my fav. RNAI technology...basically can cure anything, will take years though to get to the mainstream. .....IOTN is another .......space age futuristic technology, defense department all over this....laser-induced plasma channel (LIPCģ) weapons, which are specialized types of directed-energy weapons. Ionatronís directed-energy weapons work like "man-made lightning" Rumsfeld wants these in IRAQ yesterday.

Take a major drop in oil prices this summer to get the market jumping. Oil prices are typically higher in the summer though because of the increase in demand so fall might be the best bet. Inflation is rampant and there is talk of stagflation......economy slowing combined with inflation. Interest rates are only going up. Hardly a great combination.....

Buy Momentum stocks before they gain momentum. Stem cell stocks are low at the moment but will jump with news etc. I like to trade the small cap stocks.

I know a trader who made 1 million plus this Jan/Feb alone. Only plays momentum stocks. Stocks with good earnings, stocks with a lot of shares short and a small float. I have traded real time with him for a week or two and its an eye opener.

Fvstringpicker
05-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Market has been and will continue to head south. There will be up days, there always is in any market. Some of the pharmaceutical companies should have a good year. ALNY is my fav. RNAI technology...basically can cure anything, will take years though to get to the mainstream. .....IOTN is another

I basically subscribe to Investors Business Daily and try to follow advice by Wm O'Neil. I am heavy in oil and medical sectors. I try to buy on the breakout after prices consolidate in a tight patterns. I was lucky enough to get into oil just after their breakout and have some fair healthly gains. With the slippage of oil prices, I'm wordering if I should take some profits off the table and wait on the side lines until I can get a sense of market direction. In the medical sector, I like LCAV and RTSX. LCAV has reported record earnings for several quarters running and RTSX reports next week. I've owned LCAV since September and just purchased RTSX on its pullback last week. If you get a chance, take a look at DRAX. (a canadian drug company)