PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Sealed spindles....ummm

hp8125
04-08-2005, 01:59 AM
Does anyone know of a conversoin kit for this. I recently upgraded my mowers and low and behold, no grease fittings. Heard they will last no more than two years. I have not had a chance to call my supplier but was wondering what you guys thought. I've already started to allocate funds to new spindles for when the need arrises. Any thoughts or suggestions would help.

Richard Martin
04-08-2005, 03:40 AM
To my knowledge there is no conversion kit but you can drill and tap them from underneath the deck. I have done it and it does work.

lawnman_scott
04-08-2005, 05:33 AM
sealed bearings arent a fad, they have been around for years. I dont see why anyone would want anything else. If they go bad just replace the bearings, but chances are it will be 4 or more years.

MarcSmith
04-08-2005, 06:55 AM
When I worked at TGLC we got 2-3k hours out of the sealed spindles before we had problems.....

dfor
04-08-2005, 07:23 AM
My Bunton has sealed bearings. Mower is 5 years old, I'm solo. 1500-2000 hours on the spindles. No problems yet.

kickin sum grass
04-08-2005, 07:49 AM
5 years on my exmark lazer. same sealed bearings. Keep your blades balanced.

65hoss
04-08-2005, 07:55 AM
I've owned eXmarks since 2000, never one single bearing replaced in any machines. Just don't shoot pressurized water into the spindle areas.

Charles
04-08-2005, 08:00 AM
1999 model)I have never sprayed water on the spindle and all mine went bad after 5 years. I dont even know how long they had been bad. I didnt hear any out of the ordinary noise. But anyway I got every cent of use out of them lol and now it runs like new

LwnmwrMan22
04-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Keep 'em in your Exmark.

I had 2 Ferris IS 4000. A 2002 and a 2003. Both had sealed bearings.

Both sets went out at 1200 hours, and of course 2 months after the warranty expired.

Personally, I won't buy a mower anymore with sealed bearings.

Sounds like maybe Ferris just had a "bad" setup though?

Dave
04-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Like Richard Martin said ,drill them out ,tap them and put grease fittings in them and also pop the bearings out and pull the seal off the inside so the greas can penitrate the bearing,seen bearings last from 500 hours to over 2000.,this was done for cost efficent reasons for the manufacuters and so that they could sell new spindles and bearings,a greaseable bearing will neaver wear out if taken care of ,look at the aftermarkrt spindles they have fittings in them

Oldtimer
04-08-2005, 10:51 PM
I sold Toro from 1986 until 2003 and have been selling eXmark since 1993. I made a lot more money repairing Toro cast iron, tapered roller bearing, greasable spindles than non greasable aluminum eXmark spindles. Overgreasing spindles turns them into a grease pump with nowhere for the grease to go so it gets hot enough to cause the grease to coke and the bearing fails. Forget to grease the bearings and the repair is considerably more than a nongreasable assembly. Just keeping the blades balanced and sharp is much more important than greasing or not greasing.

When an aluminum housing takes a very hard blow it disintegrates instead of warping the deck. One of my local government customers has 20 Lazers and consider the aluminum housings a benefit because they have never warped an eXmark deck. One week the same operator blew up 2 spindle assemblies on the same unit. Their mechanic commented about how much easier it was to bolt in another assembly and not worry about whether or not the deck was bent.

65hoss
04-09-2005, 08:35 AM
I sold Toro from 1986 until 2003 and have been selling eXmark since 1993. I made a lot more money repairing Toro cast iron, tapered roller bearing, greasable spindles than non greasable aluminum eXmark spindles. Overgreasing spindles turns them into a grease pump with nowhere for the grease to go so it gets hot enough to cause the grease to coke and the bearing fails. Forget to grease the bearings and the repair is considerably more than a nongreasable assembly. Just keeping the blades balanced and sharp is much more important than greasing or not greasing.

When an aluminum housing takes a very hard blow it disintegrates instead of warping the deck. One of my local government customers has 20 Lazers and consider the aluminum housings a benefit because they have never warped an eXmark deck. One week the same operator blew up 2 spindle assemblies on the same unit. Their mechanic commented about how much easier it was to bolt in another assembly and not worry about whether or not the deck was bent.

...and this folks is the real answer. This is the reason why many/most mfg's have gone to this setup. The data the mfg's and bearing makers have is much more and better than our guesses.

Runner
04-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Not only that, but regardless of what anyone else says, it is NOT that expensive of a fix. The bearings CAN be replaced within the spindle. Many dealers do not sell it like this...they sell the whole spindle assembly. Exmark supplies them like this for ease of replacement, and so there is no question of failure due to the bearing being improperly installed. However, these bearing are really not that hard to remove and replace. Once you have the bearing #'s, it is amazing how simple and cheap it is to do this repair. The spindle housings themselves, there is really nothing to go bad on them.

nobagger
04-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Every Exmark I looked at had the sealed bearings but also had a little plug in the fitting where you caould have put a grease fitting. I don't know if they did that at the dealership or they came that way. But yeah just drill it out and screw in a fitting, no big deal to do that, just have to watch that you don't get any meatal into the spindles. :waving:

MTR
04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
01 52" Turf Tracer HP
02 36" Metro... They both have countless hours, never have problems. It is very true that blades sharp and balanced cause I "never never" go into customers' properties with so-so blades. Also, clean you underdeck every shift you finish.

TLS
04-09-2005, 01:27 PM
It's been a LONG time since eXmark had greasable blade spindles. By drilling and tapping in fittings your causing more harm than good. Here's why....

If you install a fitting on an Exmark mower, it must be under the deck, not over it or through the top of the spindle like others. This exposes the fitting to moisture, dirt, grass, etc.

Time to grease.....WAIT.....first wipe that zerk clean,.....right!? Well, that ball in the end of the zerk is dirty. Wipe it, it then spins and introduces that dirt INTO the zerk to then be pumped INTO the spindle and eventually INTO the bearing where it WILL cause wear. Repeat this daily, and you can see where the dirt is entering and being pumped in. NOT GOOD.

Now, take that time you spend UNDER your deck, wiping and greasing DAILY, and add it up over a season......Say 150x's a season! If it takes you 10 minutes to grease, thats 25 HOURS of wasted time. Whats your time worth? I'll take that time and be out mowing already. I'll save enough money NOT greasing to buy 4 sets of new spindles AND have them INSTALLED!

No greaseable spindles for me!

Richard Martin
04-09-2005, 05:09 PM
If you install a fitting on an Exmark mower, it must be under the deck, not over it or through the top of the spindle like others. This exposes the fitting to moisture, dirt, grass, etc.

Hey Tommy, long time - no debate. Welcome back!

The above arguement is bogus and you know it. If the zerk fitting is installed properly this isn't an issue.

Time to grease.....WAIT.....first wipe that zerk clean,.....right!? Well, that ball in the end of the zerk is dirty. Wipe it, it then spins and introduces that dirt INTO the zerk to then be pumped INTO the spindle and eventually INTO the bearing where it WILL cause wear. Repeat this daily, and you can see where the dirt is entering and being pumped in. NOT GOOD.

Again, this is bogus. Zerk fittings has been used for a very long time on equipment that is much more expensive than lawnmowers. Why this is only an issue on mowers escapes me. You simply will not get dirt into a fitting by wiping it clean.

Now, take that time you spend UNDER your deck, wiping and greasing DAILY,

This is the one and only reason Exmark went to a sealed, non-greasable bearing. OVERGREASING! If you read back through the very early days of Exmark's forum you will find threads dealing with why they went to sealed bearings. They were replacing so many spindles under warranty because people were overgreasing the bearings and blowing out the seals that they figured it wouldn't cost them any more to just replace bad sealed spindles. People can't read or they figured that if the right amount is good then too much must be better. That is why Exmark went to a sealed bearing.

DLCS
04-09-2005, 05:21 PM
This is the one and only reason Exmark went to a sealed, non-greasable bearing. OVERGREASING! If you read back through the very early days of Exmark's forum you will find threads dealing with why they went to sealed bearings. They were replacing so many spindles under warranty because people were overgreasing the bearings and blowing out the seals that they figured it wouldn't cost them any more to just replace bad sealed spindles. People can't read or they figured that if the right amount is good then too much must be better. That is why Exmark went to a sealed bearing.

The Exmark rep told me the same thing, over greasing was the issue with zerk less spindles.

AVERDEROSA
04-10-2005, 01:02 AM
I hate grease less spindles. They only come with a small amount of grease in them. And anyone who thinks greaseless spindles come with sealed bearing is kidding them selves. They may say sealed but they are not fully sealed a dust cover is not considered a seal. Over time dirt & water works its way in seriously shortens the life of you so called sealed bearings. Do your self a favor and remove dust cover from the inside of each bearing drill and insert zerk fittings in center of spindles. Get your self zerks that are tapered they are self tapping no need to tap the holes. GOOD LUCK. :D

TLS
04-10-2005, 08:03 AM
I value the time I save NOT greasing them. Wether it be daily bi-weekly, weekly, whatever.

A grease zerk IS an opening for dirt to enter that a sealed spindle just doesn't have.

If sealed spindles didn't work as well as they do, I'd be all for greasable ones, as thats what a lot of my equipment had prior to my Lazer.

Oldtimer
04-10-2005, 09:18 AM
I started in this business 23 years ago this month and have been a part of the of the commercial cutting industry both as a LCO (1983-1996)and dealer (since 1985). The equipment available today has evolved from the first commercial midsize mowers to very high performance ZTR mowers. In 1984 I purchased a 36" Walker Mower with an 11HP B&S engine which was the state of the art for that time. Each major manufacturer has contributed to the industry in their own special way. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to use the first hydrostatic midsize mowers, the first ZTR mowers and a lot of stuff in between. I still miss the JLO Rockwell engines we used on midsize mowers. They were the best ever.

There will be just as many innovations in future equipment as we have experienced in past years. Sealed bearings, no zerks on mowers, electronic fuel injection, smaller liquid cooled fuel injected engines, much more efficient deck designs, semi-pneumatic tires all around and more user friendly controls are in the future.

Just think about the changes in the last few years. Now, we never check hydro fluid levels except after filter changes, we grease fittings once a week instead of daily, don't lose spindle bearings because someone forgot the daily greasing, pack front wheel bearings annually, check air filters every 50 to 150 hours depending on conditions, change oil every 100 hours with EFI engines and the list of decreased or eliminated maintenance items will continue to grow. I drive an '05 F250 4WD 6.0 King Ranch and the leather seats require more time and attention than the rest of the vehicle. An oil and filter change every 5000 miles and tire rotation as needed. I may be able to go >10,000 miles per oil change if the Blackstone reports say it's ok.

If I could recommend just one thing to all LCOs, my recommendation would be to spend some quality time with the manual that comes with every piece of equipment purchased. On second thought, if everyone read and followed the manufacturer's guidelines my income would suffer due to lost revenue from parts and service.

Oldtimer
Going With The Flow!

Oldtimer
04-10-2005, 09:39 AM
(Copied from an article in 2000)

Betzdorf, Germany-based Wolf Garden, one of the world's largest manufacturers of commercial and residential lawn and garden products, is bringing lasers to lawn care. The company's prototype Zero lawn care vehicle uses a five-beam laser system instead of a blade to not just cut grass, but to decimate it into tiny dehydrated particles.

Oldtimer

Richard Martin
04-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Betzdorf, Germany-based Wolf Garden, one of the world's largest manufacturers of commercial and residential lawn and garden products, is bringing lasers to lawn care.

You're kidding right? Wolf-Garten will have to make better mowers than this example is they want to sell them in the U.S..

Oldtimer
04-10-2005, 10:19 AM
http://www.britishnews.co.uk/bizarrebritain/lasermower.htm

Check it out.

EC-Rider
04-10-2005, 03:50 PM
http://www.britishnews.co.uk/bizarrebritain/lasermower.htm

Check it out.

Thanks, but no thanks…I’m not ready to give up my Hustler, ask me again in 10-15 years! LOL! :waving:

Now back to the spindle issue…I hate to spoil the party but the truth is that the main reason the manufactures are doing away with grease fittings is to SAVE MONEY! payup

And who can blame them? Not I, especially when there are some benefits to the consumer, but the main reason is the time saved during manufacturing.

It takes time to drill out a hole, time to thread it, the fitting itself has to be manufactured and then stocked, stored, and also threaded.

All these however balances out in the end for the user…Hopefully, I’m from the old school who prefers to grease his own. LOL! ;)

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::

rob1325
04-10-2005, 04:18 PM
We have been in business for 42 years and IMO greaseable spindles are the way to go and last way longer IMO than sealed. I takes me maybe a additional minute to grease three spindles, while I am already greasing the rest of the machine. I wipe ALL grease fittings before I grease them, so nothing gets in. Water will get into your spindles like anyother area. Also, ever touch your spindle after using your mower after a hour or more? Those spindles get very hot and the grease breaks down with the heat. I personally love greaseable spindles. I only have to grease them every 500hrs, which isn't much, but do it anyway while greasing rest of the machine.

Oldtimer
04-10-2005, 04:30 PM
What brand spindles only need grease every 500 hours?

rob1325
04-10-2005, 08:41 PM
What brand spindles only need grease every 500 hours?

My scag says it in the manual.

hp8125
04-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Personally, I won't be drilling and installing Zerks, I will just bit&% and moan and eventually replace with greasable spindles, but to the person who said to only install on the bottom of the deck couldn't be more wrong. Seems to me their is a better chance of dirt and MOISTURE collecting along the bottom of the deck than the top. It may not be 100% effective but the next time you scrape your deck, look at you Zerks and tell me what you see. Also the ball on a zerk fitting is designed to keep debri out. A properly greased bearing WILL last forever. Bent blades and other factors can cause premature spindle/bearing failure of some sort but ask any mechanic, a properly greased bearing, well you know...As far as time-wasted goes, Since when is properly greasing and maintaining you expensive equipment time-wasted? How much time is wasted greasing three spindles? Now how much do you lose if/and when your equipment goes down, how many clients are possibly lost. To the person who greases everyday, do you change the oil in your truck everyday? Comomon sense man, read the manual, your overdoing it. I started this thread and got the information I was looking for, thanks to those who supplid good information and most did.

Teiman
04-11-2005, 12:24 AM
I respect Oldtimers opinion on this
but I would have guessed it was done to cut Mfg. cost.
I am on the manufacturing side of the trade and
the OEM's always make us sit down and review their designs
of components and suggest ways to cut Mfg. cost. If someones idea
files, it usually ends up in a compromise for the end user. Not always
bad, but not what the original product designer had in mind.

Just my guess.

Also for years I have actually purged old grease carefully
by slowly pumping in new grease until a substantial amount of
old grease was discharged thru the still intact seal. Sounds like
this was not a good practice. I learned something new.

Richard Martin
04-11-2005, 04:56 AM
It takes time to drill out a hole, time to thread it, the fitting itself has to be manufactured and then stocked, stored, and also threaded.

Most mower manufacturers are probably buying the spindles already assembled. Even if they assembling the spindle all Exmark would have to do is drill the hole and put a self threading zerk in it. And I can assure you that no manufacturers are making their own zerks.

Richard Martin
04-11-2005, 05:00 AM
but to the person who said to only install on the bottom of the deck couldn't be more wrong.

If you can figure a way to install a zerk in the top of Exmark's spindles go for it.

TLS
04-11-2005, 06:38 AM
but to the person who said to only install on the bottom of the deck couldn't be more wrong. Seems to me their is a better chance of dirt and MOISTURE collecting along the bottom of the deck than the top. It may not be 100% effective but the next time you scrape your deck, look at you Zerks and tell me what you see. Also the ball on a zerk fitting is designed to keep debri out.

I didn't say to install them underneath, but it would be about the only way to do it IF you insisted on doing it.

Not much room on top of the spindle. Remember eXmarks use bottom mounted spindle assemblies.

I've seen many a zerk in my years without a ball.

Whatever debris is on, in or around that zerk ball will be pushed INTO the bearing.

K.I.S. theory applies well here. If it aint broke, don't try to re-engineer something.

Dave
04-11-2005, 08:29 AM
this debate could go on forever,i had a 42 seagraves ladder truck with im sure over 100 grease fittings .this truck went threw snow sand and whatever im sure and most parts on it were all original ,old cars /trucks had many grease fittings ,you greased them enough to push the crap out ,lasted forever ,im sorry the greasless parts do not last as long .all it is is a way for a manufacture to save money

hp8125
04-12-2005, 11:53 PM
It seems I posted before thought. Sorry. Logically the bottom would be the best place for a fitting due to lack of room but if it were possible to install on the top, I would, over the bottom. I am not one for drilling extra holes unless absolutelly necessary. No harm intended to those I may have pissed off.

mtstclair
04-13-2005, 09:44 PM
I had a 52inch scag wb with greaseable bearing and i started to dread greaseing them. I sold it to get a ZTR and got a lazer hp 52 inch with sealed bearing and i still do not think they will last longer but it really saves time on maintenance. Plus Exmark stripes off better Much better but scags are built like tanks!

MJB
04-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Why would you want to fix something that is NOT BROKE??? I've got 3000 hrs on my Lazer Z with no problems. The time I save not greasing them more than makes up for the time it will take to change them eventually. If you are not abusive on them and do as others have stated balance blades etc... they should last. If not have a set waiting. It's not worth the time waisted worrying about it! IF IT"S NOT BROKE LEAVE IT ALONE! Sorry if this upsets anyone but this is just plain silly to be worrying about.

marvinlee
04-19-2005, 12:28 AM
The Kubota ZD21 we have calls for greasing the spindles (and much else) daily. That is a lot of time over a year.

I know of no reason why properly designed spindles should require periodic greasing if well designed. Car and truck axle outer bearings now often go for the life of the vehicle, with no restrictions of whether the vehicle is driven in the rain or snow. As for the grease, modern polyurea greases are highly age resistant and heat resistant.

Some mowers, the ZD 21 is an example, have a steel cup between the lower bearing and the blade. The cup shields the lower bearing from physical damage and possibly prevents some dirt from reaching the bearing.

The issue I have with greasable bearings is how much grease? Manufacturers don't often say. Grease guns vary in how much volume of grease is pumped per pump stroke.

The bearing companies all warn against overgreasing the bearing. But who can see inside a bearing and know how much grease is already there, new deck or old?

This whole area of lawn equipment spindles and spindle lubrication has been badly neglected by the bearing companies, the mower companies, and the many researchers working on lubrication issues. It is time that some serious research be conducted into spindle life, lubrication, and sealing.

TLS
04-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Marvin,

Very well put.

J&R
04-19-2005, 09:30 PM
If anyone drills a spindles and installs zerks without taking the spindle apart first DON'T need to mess with there mower in the first place. Do you know what will happen.

MarcSmith
04-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Other than the Obvious peices of metal shrapnel that will eat up the bearings????I have seen people when they drill stuff to really load it up with a heavy oil and the metal will stick to the drill bit and reduce the clean up, but still not worth it.....2-3000 hours from a spindle isn't that bad, IMO.

The time and money you save by not greasing will just be replaced with the time and money it takes to replace the spindle every 3-4 years....

Oldtimer
04-20-2005, 07:38 AM
The time and money should be spent on a high quality blade balancer. Balanced blades will do more to prolong spindle life than any grease.

65hoss
04-20-2005, 07:50 AM
The time and money should be spent on a high quality blade balancer. Balanced blades will do more to prolong spindle life than any grease.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!
Now if people would get this point...no wait, maybe they need to stay the way they are. Lose effeciency, spend more money on parts, wear machines out faster...Competition gone or losing money...works for me.

Oldtimer
04-20-2005, 09:57 AM
HOSS, thank you for correcting me. Contrary to what people think, just selling equipment won't pay the bills. From the parts counter to the front door we make friends and create opportunities. From the parts counter back we pay the bills.

Balancing blades is time wasted & sharpening just makes them wear out faster because you are removing metal.

Engage and disengage blades at full throttle because a good mower will take it all day long and changing the engine rpms is a waste of time.

Always load mowers at full throttle to avoid straining the engine, besides, the mark of a good operator is one who can drive everything wide open all the time. The other stuff on the trailer is to prevent a large Z mower from going too far forward and transferring excess tongue weight to a Ranger or S10.

Always use trailers with sides at least 4' high. This prevents equipment from falling out and is great for hauling trash. That's where the good money is anyhow.

Please correct the manufacturer's screw up and insert zerks in everything.

If you inflate the drive tires to 30 PSI you can get another mile or 2 per hour.

If a mower is cutting uneven add 5 PSI to the drive tire on the low side. This works just about every time.

At a dollar a minute you will lose a lot of money waiting for equipment to warm up. The manufacturer designed the equipment to cut, not sit around wasting fuel.

Store your trimmer line in the sun because it gets lost in a tool box and never ever put it in a bucket of water.

The manufacturers don't have a clue about trimmer gear cases. Install a zerk and grease them weekly. The type of grease is unimportant if used often enough.

Wash all foam filters in gasoline. They dry faster, come cleaner and oiling just cause them to plug up faster.

These engines are smaller than automobile engines and don't need the same high quality fuel. The smaller the engine the cheaper the fuel you should buy.

The more smoke your 2 cycle equipment puts out the longer it will last. The use of 50:1 is a myth.

I learned all this from customers.

Oldtimer
Just Going With The Flow

Remsen1
04-20-2005, 01:14 PM
as long as you recognize the symptoms of bad bearings and respond rapidly, you will not have to replace your spindles.

Richard Martin
04-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Say what you want folks, I don't care. This much I do know...

I balance and sharpen the blades on my Dixie and my former Exmark the same exact way. The greasable spindle bearings at 1,300 hours on the Dixie are as tight as the day the mower was built. The Exmark Metro non-greasable spindle bearings went out twice in 1,000 hours. I also have a buddy who has 2 Lazer Zs and he has replaced all 3 spindles once in each mower before 1,200 hours. BTW, we don't wait until the spindle bearings are howling and getting ready to seize up or fall out. We replace as a preventative measure when we remove the belts and check for over 1/8" of play at the end of the blade.

Grizzly290
04-20-2005, 09:22 PM
Yesterday I noticed the discharge blade seemed to be vibrating more than usual. I reach under the deck and grab the blade, and it has a lot of play. So I investigate it further, and sure enough it's shot. Machine is only 2.5 years old, & has about 200 hours. I take it off and bring it to a dealer that we buy a lot of stuff from, but I did not buy the Turf Tracer from him as I bought it used, and he tells me no to the warranty, and a replacement is going to cost me $190.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to throw the thing at him!!!! I leave and go to a different Exmark dealer, nice guy. Says he has to order me one. He will also try to get it covered under warranty. I ask him the price in case it's not covered, he says $95.00. So I ordered it, & hopefully Exmark will cover it. Oh yea, I am going to give the first dealer some thing to think about. Sorry about the long post. Just a little disappointed that it gave out in such a short time. Been a great machine other than this. Grizzly

TLS
04-20-2005, 09:36 PM
You bought it used. Who knows how many times it was pressure washed?

Or how many times the discharge blade caught a heavy root. The discharge spindle is the most vulnerable of the 3.

MarcSmith
04-21-2005, 06:48 AM
2.5 years and only 200 hours....at that rate you'll be able to will the mower to child with lots a life left in it.....

I never understood, legally, how the copmanies only applied the warranty to the orginal owner.... and not the person who buys it used, but still within the warranty period....

65hoss
04-21-2005, 08:31 AM
2.5 years and only 200 hours....at that rate you'll be able to will the mower to child with lots a life left in it.....

I never understood, legally, how the copmanies only applied the warranty to the orginal owner.... and not the person who buys it used, but still within the warranty period....
They don't, at least eXmark doesn't. It will transfer to the new owner, as long as it still falls under the warrenty period.

65hoss
04-21-2005, 08:33 AM
You bought it used. Who knows how many times it was pressure washed?

Or how many times the discharge blade caught a heavy root. The discharge spindle is the most vulnerable of the 3.
People who wash and/or powerwash their equipment are more likely to have bearing failure. To many people are worried about looking pretty than working and making money. They are not showcars, they are tools. So I agree with TLS, you don't know how many times it was washed before you had it.

65hoss
04-21-2005, 08:35 AM
HOSS, thank you for correcting me. Contrary to what people think, just selling equipment won't pay the bills. From the parts counter to the front door we make friends and create opportunities. From the parts counter back we pay the bills.

Balancing blades is time wasted & sharpening just makes them wear out faster because you are removing metal.

Engage and disengage blades at full throttle because a good mower will take it all day long and changing the engine rpms is a waste of time.

Always load mowers at full throttle to avoid straining the engine, besides, the mark of a good operator is one who can drive everything wide open all the time. The other stuff on the trailer is to prevent a large Z mower from going too far forward and transferring excess tongue weight to a Ranger or S10.

Always use trailers with sides at least 4' high. This prevents equipment from falling out and is great for hauling trash. That's where the good money is anyhow.

Please correct the manufacturer's screw up and insert zerks in everything.

If you inflate the drive tires to 30 PSI you can get another mile or 2 per hour.

If a mower is cutting uneven add 5 PSI to the drive tire on the low side. This works just about every time.

At a dollar a minute you will lose a lot of money waiting for equipment to warm up. The manufacturer designed the equipment to cut, not sit around wasting fuel.

Store your trimmer line in the sun because it gets lost in a tool box and never ever put it in a bucket of water.

The manufacturers don't have a clue about trimmer gear cases. Install a zerk and grease them weekly. The type of grease is unimportant if used often enough.

Wash all foam filters in gasoline. They dry faster, come cleaner and oiling just cause them to plug up faster.

These engines are smaller than automobile engines and don't need the same high quality fuel. The smaller the engine the cheaper the fuel you should buy.

The more smoke your 2 cycle equipment puts out the longer it will last. The use of 50:1 is a myth.

I learned all this from customers.

Oldtimer
Just Going With The Flow

lol payup payup
This is just tooooo good.

Grizzly290
04-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Guys - I dought it was ever pressure washed before I got it. The original buyer bought it for his home lawn, and bought it in October 2002. I have the original bill of sale & Exmark warranty registration. I bought it from him in March 2003. He only had a month or so to use it at the end of 2002. He decided he did not want to walk behind his mower, and when I picked it up, he already had a 60' Lazer sitting there. I'm hoping it's just one of those things that just happens. I hope the other two spindles last a while longer. Also hope Exmark covers it, but I have my doubts. I will let you know. Thanks - Grizzly

EC-Rider
04-21-2005, 10:17 PM
…No matter what the factory puts out there’s always a fancy salesman defending it. He has to! LOL! :cry:

When Ford came out with snap-on air condition lines, the consumers went HOT when all the freon leaked out... :angry:

Chevy drivers paid more for the screwed in a\c lines BUT stayed COOL! :cool:

If sealed tie rod ends are Soo great then why does Ford use grease fittings on the heavier duty F-250’s and not on the F-150’s??

Yeah I know…some fancy sales man will come in with a fancy B\S…but in the end guess who pays…LOL! payup

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::