PDA

View Full Version : Everyone has a hand out

tfilbert
04-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Got a letter yesterday from a small little burg town located within the Metro area I live in. Seems they want to know how much I have made working with in their little incorportated city. I pay Federal, state, county, and city taxes as it is. I'm really tired of people with their hand in my pocket. Now I admit it gets old paying the 45, 50, 60 dollars to everyone just for the pleasure of providing my service in their area. I try to pay everyone their just but come on. You can't find them listed in the phone book but they think if I set foot there I owe them something. BS! My business is located in a city within a city and I pay both each year so whats up with these little burgs who think they are a town. They don't have seperate fire or police (maybe a rent a cop in a small car they buy themselves) but they provide no services to the local residents. Can't collect taxes except a small stripend from the home owners associations. Yet they think I need to pay them. For what? They have no schools, no hospital, no post office. I may pass this one on to my lawyer but his fee will be more than any possible tax. Anyone else dealing with this?

CamLand
04-08-2005, 09:08 AM
;) ;) ;) ;) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kickin Your Grass
04-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Never heard of the city asking how much we make. They do send us a form each year to list ever peice of equipment the business owns so they can figure how much we owe for business property taxes.

sildoc
04-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Never heard of the city asking how much we make. They do send us a form each year to list ever peice of equipment the business owns so they can figure how much we owe for business property taxes.
Yep and I am rapidly aproaching the day to when I will have to start paying the darn tax. :cry:

eshreve1234
04-08-2005, 11:55 AM
I have gotten calls from smaller towns since they have "seen" my truck driving through and must assume I am doing work there. Ohio you have, Federal, State, City, County (personal property), and some school districts also have an additional income tax. As one example, lets say you work in Toledo, and live in Liberty Center. Your local tax between all the jurisdictions is 4.75%. After federal and state you could end up paying as much as $.55-.60 on the dollar in tax. We also have to collect sales tax on our services, but I assume that this is more common. Biz tax reform is very needed in OH and many other states.

grassmanvt
04-08-2005, 12:12 PM
That's obsurd, I thought Vt. was bad.

specialtylc
04-08-2005, 02:36 PM
It sounds like they are wanting you to pay a B&O tax (business and operations). Its just another type of sales tax. We have that where I live. Or they are just wanting you to have a business license in that city jurisdiction.

Richard Martin
04-08-2005, 03:42 PM
It's a local income tax. You go into their town, earn money and then go home without paying any local income taxes. Washington D.C. has been trying to get a tax like that enacted for decades but Congress won't approve it. Think of the millions of dollars DC could collect.

Jpocket
04-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I would ask a lawyer to be safe, and then forget about it.

Duramax99
04-08-2005, 03:54 PM
You don't have to pay people to work in a town. Thats sounds like a scam. I would forget about it.

a a green
04-08-2005, 04:19 PM
For us we have to buy permits to work in the cities and towns, but as far as the taxes I don't pay any here.....

a a green
04-08-2005, 04:22 PM
oh and by the way the permits in one town can be 15bucks and the next town over can be 100 so I guess thats how they make their money, delaware still has the lowest taxes, guess I am lucky.

lawnguyland
04-08-2005, 04:30 PM
You don't have to pay people to work in a town. Thats sounds like a scam. I would forget about it.
Ever try to work in Stewart Manor, floral park, bellerose, malverne, new hyde park, to name a few on LI? 50-60$ for a license/permit. I actually like it if they enforce it as it keeps out all the unlicensed, uninsured, illegal applicator scrub asses. The tax though is BS. It's like a commuter tax in NYC.

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 04:31 PM
It's unbelieveable how many different taxes there are out there. One way or another, Uncle Sam will get his......and then some.

lawnman_scott
04-08-2005, 07:43 PM
You don't have to pay people to work in a town. Thats sounds like a scam. I would forget about it.get your head out of the sand or you wont be able to breathe.

ndunn
04-11-2005, 02:57 PM
just wondering if anybody has ever seen these permits enforced? I think my city has two cops on duty most of the time, and that's probably the extent of their budget for enforcing stuff like this. There's probably a building inspector or something, but outside of maybe Seattle, I don't think any cities around here pay anyone to comb the streets looking for one-man operations. Well, maybe Bellevue or Redmond does, but they are kinda anal.

Cut
04-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Tell them you only made $30 in that area in the last 5 years.